Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxiquai

Epsom Salts

maxiquai
10 years ago

My friend visited my house and said I should use some epsom salts mixed with super thrive on my adeniums . Is she right?

Comments (14)

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry in advance for a long post. I swore I had bookmarked a sight that had a lot of info about epsom salt and gardening. I'll have to do some digging. But I did find this much and had it on my desktop. I can't remember the source of this info but it was from an adenium group on facebook.

Proven Garden Supplement that Works Wonders
    Epsom salt is a popular, proven and well-reputed supplement in organic gardening �" both indoors and out.
    Epsom salt (or Magnesium Sulfate) has long been considered a planter’s “secret” ingredient to a lovely, lush garden. It enhances fertilizer and soil capabilities to bring about powerful benefits to household plants, lawn and even trees.
    MAGNESIUM
    Magnesium assists with the process of seed germination. It plays a crucial role in photosynthesis by assisting with the creation of chlorophyll. It promotes phosphorus and nitrogen intake and provides vital nutrients to supplement your regular fertilizer. It also deters pests. Besides, magnesium attaches to fertilizer salts, pulling them out of the soil.
    SULFATE
    Sulfate is an essential element for growth and longevity of plants and assists in the production of chlorophyll and in photosynthesis. It helps plants absorb and utilize potassium, phosphorus and nitrogen. Sulfate works with magnesium to create a “vitamin” full of minerals, nourishment and health benefits for your garden.
    Since Epsom salt does not contain N, P and K, it is generally regarded as a supplement and not a fertilizer. For optimum result, apply Epsom salt with your fertilizer.
    EPSOM SALT AND GARDENING
    Epsom salt adds a touch of magic when applied to: 1. Your garden at the initial planting stage 2. Potted plants 3. Vegetable gardens 4. Flower gardens 5. Shrubs 6. Lawn 7. Trees
    Roses, tomatoes and peppers in particular reap rich benefits from the application of Epsom salt.
    APPLICATION
    Here are some tips for using Epsom salt in the garden:
    Garden Startup: Sprinkle 1 cup per 100 sq ft . Mix into soil before planting. Potted Plants: Dissolve 2 tablespoons per gallon of water, and substitute this solution for normal watering at least once a month. Roses: 1 tablespoon per foot of plant height per plant; apply every 2 weeks. Frangipani & Flowering Plants: 2 to 4 tablespoons applied fortnightly. Shrubs: 1 tablespoon per 9 sq ft. Apply over root zone every 2 �" 4 weeks. Lawn: Apply 3 pounds for every 1,250 sq ft with a spreader, or dilute in water and apply with a sprayer. Trees: Apply 2 tablespoons per 9 sq ft. Apply over the root zone every quarter.
    Adding Epsom salt to houseplants that have been potted for a long time is especially useful. It can help to clear up the accumulation of natural salts in the pot.
    Since Epsom salt can be absorbed through foliage, it can be applied to soil and/or foliage.
    Epsom salt is organic. Unlike most fertilizers, Epsom salt does not build up in the soil over time, so you can’t overuse it!
    Using Epsom salt in gardening is not a new concept. This “best kept secret” has been around for generations.
    But not all Epsom salts are created equal. The challenge is to source Epsom salt which brings more flowers and fruits to your plants, increasing the beauty and bounty of your garden and at the same time cost effective.

Kirk

• maxiquai
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you , it was very informative .

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Never try Epsom Salts before....
    Thank you Kirk for the info.
    Marie

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Thank you for this info, too.

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Welcome. Glad to share tidbits of information and hope it sparks good conversation to everyone's tips and tricks.

Last year I had one plumeria and one adenium that just didn't want to wake up. I heard about someone using epsom salt to help wake theirs up in the spring and get them growing. I tried this maybe mixed about 1 tablespoon (maybe less as I was paranoid about it) per gallon of water. That plumeria seemed to nearly wake up within a few short days and the adenium seemed to take just a bit longer but finally came out of it's coma.

I've googled and found a lot of information on various sites about it's use and benefits. I'm no longer afraid to use it and will probably use it about once a month or so this season.

Kirk

This post was edited by kodom087 on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 16:10

• somalenese
    10 years ago

wow kirk thanks

one question

calcium and magnesium are both important but excess of one causes deficiency of other is it not true ?

kindly explain

I have both
    Epsom - one that is used in pharmaceutical labs that is actual MgSO4 salt
    Gypsum - one that is used in farms by farmers in huge farming s it is not a salt it look like a sand something when I tried on my seasonal s. in pots the soil turned white patches so it must be gypsum
    I used 1 tsp per pot(9 inches)

kindly comment

thank you

anurag

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

I hope someone can elaborate on that, Somalenese. I'm no scientist or chemist but I will try to ask a friend in the plant nursery business to get his input. He may have an idea.

Kirk

• somalenese
    10 years ago

that will be great Kirk
    will post photo tomorrow to help you
    then we can request Al for his opinion also
    for me it is important because I stay in a small place and don't have access to dolomitic lime which is a better option than plain Epsom as it will contain both mg&Ca

and I have read somewhere that both should be added as
    excess of one causes deficiency of other

anurag

• ZOS150
    10 years ago

On our farm we used Gypsum to break up the clay soil. Clay soil will pack and the gypsum will mix with it and keep if from sticking together.

• Seax88
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tip Kirk. I've heard of using Epsom salts before but never tried it. I'll give it a go.

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

FYI, I think I remember Al talking about adding the Mg without the Ca is not desirable and you shouldn't do it unless you know you have a Mg deficiency. A forum search will probably find a lot of his opinion about it. Something about adding Mg only is just like adding more fertilizer or something.

I'm just mentioning because Anurag remembers it, too I think. That being said, I know a lot of people that do it and it does seem to green up yellow Areca palms ;)

-Heather

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

Here is a post that Al posted on the Plumeria forum for some of us... I use Foliage Pro and it has the Ca and Mg that the trees need. I thought you all would like to read since it was mentioned up thread...

Enjoy!!!
    Laura

Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 15:55

Rox - Epsom salts are indeed a salt. While it's true that plants take up all nutrients (from soil) in the form of salts, too much total salt or too much of any one salt is not good for a plant. The measure of everything dissolved in the soil solution = the water's TDS (total dissolved solids). As the TDS increases, the plant's ability to absorb both water and nutrients decreases. If you have a very high level of TDS in the soil solution, water can actually be pulled out of cells, causing the cells to collapse and plasma to be pulled from cell walls (plasmolysis/ fertilizer burn). This is especially true if the salts are applied in granular form.
    Epsom salts are rich in Mg, and Mg is an important nutrient to the plant, no question, but an excess of Mg can not only be limiting in terms of TDS, it can also make it more difficult for the plant to take up potassium, phosphorous, and calcium, but particularly calcium - IOW, it can cause antagonistic deficiencies of other important nutrients when applied in excess.

The bottom line is, an excess of magnesium (Epsom salts), iron, or manganese can have the effect of making your plant nice and green, but the nice green color doesn't necessarily mean your plant is as healthy as it should be. Your plant will grow best when the soil solution contains all the essential nutrients plants take from the soil, in the same ratio at which the plant actually uses those nutrients, and at a concentration high enough to ensure no deficiencies yet low enough that the plant isn't inhibited in its ability take up water and nutrients.

In most cases, when you start second guessing what your plants need and start adding elements or compounds that are designed to supply only 1 or 2 nutrients (like Epsom salts - [magnesium and sulfur]), the potential to limit your plant is much greater than the potential to benefit it. Choosing a fertilizer that has all the essential elements in a favorable ratio and sticking with that program is much easier and far less likely to result in unexpected complications.

Al

Thank you!!!

Laura

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Good read, Laura.

Thanks!

Kirk

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

I do know for a FACT too much epsom salt will kill your plants. When I first heard about epsom salt, I started using it on my plants in my greenhouse and had a lot of plants perish. I have since learned to use everything in moderation. While I do believe potted plants could use a boost of magnesium and sulphate, I read the labels very carefully now and try not to over do any one chemical.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County