Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcharles_gw

"The Caudex" thoughts

My thoughts on the "caudex" as it is called on the fat plants.
With my limited experience the caudex is genetic and each individual obesum has it's own identity being it's caudex (girth of truck) or lack there of.
What we refer to as it's caudex size in later years is truly it's root system which we expose over time. This would be subterranean if left without raising.
I believe there are many theories on the production of a larger caudex through environmental, cultural and controlled growing procedures, but this is not typical of the obesum natural growth.
The Arabicums and true Socotranums grow similar root structure but they truly grow across the soil producing a large caudex by natural growth.
Just my thoughts and facts from many experiences growers of these remarkable plants.
Rick

Comments (5)

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

I agree, Rick. I think most of us just call the whole thing caudex as it's just easier and less confusing to people until they're more educated on adeniums.
    I am hoping to get some seeds to an arabicum and really wanting socotranum this year. Heck, may as well try to get seeds to solmalense.

Kirk

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kirk,
    Yes that is absolutely right and I by no means am wanting to offend anyone.

Kirk, if you want to try some Arabicum seeds. I have a few left over and would be more than willing to send them. I have more than I need planted.
    Let me know and you could email me. Let me know if email works.
    Rick

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Thanks, Rick! That is a very generous offer! I clicked on your info and it's not allowing me to send an email. If you send me one like you did a week or so back with your email I'll send you my info. Oh and not sure I ever thanked you for the comment in that email about the beautiful pictures. I credit that to my new camera and some of my artistic abilities. LOL

Kirk

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

These are just my thoughts...I have no scientific facts to back them up.

I'm finding with my plants (obesums) that if I raise the roots (caudex as we are calling them) up too quickly, I get a longer skinny caudex. I am also experimenting with some where I'm leaving the roots under the soil longer and I'm getting a larger caudex with a more interesting look.

It also appears that once the caudex is exposed it does not seem to enlarge much.

Are these things you guys are noticing as well?

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ladylotus,
    I think that it is wonderful to do these experimental procedures to see what results we get. With the genetics of a particular plant making it different than the others will always be a constant. Leaving them with roots under the soil level longer may effect root structure. A smaller pot (less root room) might actually make for more tight root system and a larger pot for more open and spread root system.
    I know with some of the grafted ones I have seen and have, the actual caudex is not necessarily fat and bulbous where others are. When they where lifted, showing their roots made for a larger and unique caudex.

Interesting with these Adeniums root system. They remind me of the Dahlia roots when I dig them up in fall. Their root system tends to grow in a similar fashion other than the Adeniums do not produce multiple growing points.
    Rick

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County