Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

Staining on older DR caudexes

Hi, don't know if any of you have had this happen, but I've noticed that a degree of staining occurs on the bases of caudexes of my older DR's. When they are watered it seems to travel up the outer skin for a couple of inches. The skins are mature with that 'netted' silver/green appearance, characteristic of older DR's. It dries and leaves the skin with a distinct line below which it has a dingy brown look to it...it looks horrid and I don't like it! It's not rot as they are rock hard.
I decided to try and remedy it with some warm water and a soft cloth...it worked reasonably well as the cloth got browner and the DR's got cleaner! Didn't rub them too hard for fear of damage, but another light wash will get them back to how I prefer them. Maybe a very soft brush would work better.
I have tried watering from below a while ago, but with such a fast draining gritty soil, there is little water uptake from the saucer. My next move will be to water round the edge of the pot, trying to keep it away from the caudex as best I can. Any of you seen this happen with your plants, if so what do you do? Am I being too fussy?!
I use tap water for them and it is rated as 'mildly hard'.
Here's a prime example of what I mean....

Gill from the UK.

{{gwi:340182}}

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County