Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mri_guy

New Buds on my Hard Pruned DR

MRI_Guy
11 years ago

I noticed these buds have plumped up rather quickly on my hard-pruned DR, so I'll now call the previous surgery a success! If you recall, I lopped off about 2' of each of 2 branches on January 18th and it leafed out and grew branches very quickly, and now I'm being rewarded with flowers! Because I've never seen an open bloom on this plant, I'm not sure that they'll be anything more than "pinks", but it's still nice to see new blooms inside when there is still a foot of snow outside!

Scott

Comments (23)

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Wow....so early in the season? Good for you.
    I am happy for you. Please keep the pictures coming.
    Marie

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Congrats on those buds and I hope to see them open very soon.

I have the plants, and the foot (several feet in places actually!) of snow....but still no buds, lol!
    Gill from the UK.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

That is wonderful to see, Scott. I would not care if they where pink. Maybe if I had dozens and they where all the same color.
    Rick

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

I agree with Rick...I would not care what color it was either. Can't wait to see your plant bloom. Very nice healthy looking plants. I did read your anguish about cutting your plant back so far. Nice job...

• MRI_Guy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Getting ready to open!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Boy oh boy! Those look delicious, and on dear 'ole stumpy too! Please post another pic for us when they open, it certainly looks as if it's not just a plain old pink to me.
    Gill from the UK.

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

I could not wait to scroll down, I was sure I was going to see an open bloom. I'm getting excited for you. I can't wait to see the first bloom on this plant. Thanks for sharing.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Scott, those are progressing so well. Hope it surprises you with something unique. Will not matter.
    With my double last year, I was so anxious for it to open and a very knowledgeable lady from OZ told me that the doubles/triples can be slower to open.
    Cannot wait to see you blooms and what a healthy foliage on this specimen.
    Rick

• MRI_Guy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone - I'm very anxious to see the flowers as I have never seen one open on this plant. It used to bud all the time, but because I used to keep it outside in the shade (didn't know what a Desert Rose was at that time), they always fell off before maturing - not this time! I'll keep you posted...

• MRI_Guy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, the flowers were worth waiting for! 2 of them opened yesterday with 2 more set to open soon.
    And I also included a photo of new buds on my grafted DR from Adenium Rose Co., I have no idea what
    those will look like but I'm watching their development as well...

Here are the first 2 blooms
    {{gwi:340198}}

Two more to open soon

{{gwi:340200}}

And here are new buds on my grafted DR

{{gwi:340202}}

Scott

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Congrats! They look great. Can't wait to see pics of your grafted ones opened up as well.

Kirk

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Prunning, grafting, hand-pollination---I want to do them all now now NOW!

Patience, praying mantis. Sigh

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Scott, the blooms on your adenium are gorgeous. How nice that they've finally opened. Is there any fragrance at all?

• MRI_Guy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ladylotus - this may sound crazy, but the area around the blooms, but not the blooms themselves, smells of fresh cucumber! I first noticed the very herbal aroma when I bent in close to the plant to examine the flower buds before they opened, and it is such a fresh vegetable smell, akin to cutting up a fresh cucumber or green pepper - very pleasant!

Scott

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi Scott, I'm so pleased that your DR has done you proud with those flowers, they are super! I hope you are not disappointed in them being pink as I know a lot of folks do a)not like the colour pink or b) hate them being pink as it's the dominant colour in DR's. I think they look good. You also seem pleased with them, so at the end of the day, that's all that matters isn't it? Thanks for showing us and we look forward to seeing the grafted one real soon.
    I just need a flower of any kind :(
    Gill from the UK.

• MRI_Guy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gill - this is a jointly owned plant as I see it; yours and mine. I received my very first responses and directions from you on the proper pruning of it when I was a newbie and afraid to do it - It turned out great and I love our pink blooms!

Thanks - Scott

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

MRI, your blooms are beautiful....good work on hard pruned.
    Marie

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Haha, nice one Scott!! You are most welcome, I am no expert believe me, just bits that I have picked up from my reading on the web and on our forum here whilst still trying to learn more about these fascinating plants.
    Just pleased (read that as 'RELIEVED') it worked! My remaining plants are really coming along good now, as are the new seedlings. I'll post a thread this week as I have some days off work.
    Gill from the UK.

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

That is interesting that your plant smells like cucumbers. I would have thought perhaps the flowers would have a light fragrance. I had some flowers last summer that had a beautiful, light floral scent.

Enjoy your blooms.

• MRI_Guy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's an updated picture; all 4 buds are opened and the plant is putting out new growth. It must know that it's Spring!

Scott

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Scott, that is beautiful.
    Marie

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Looking great!

Kirk

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

W-w-w-wow! I like that one!