Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie help

Posted by keepnpeace Arizona (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 12:45

I inherited an Adenium from someone that was moving. It looks like it was hard pruned for winter/spring. All the branches are cut very short. 2 of the branches have a small leaf growth appearing but other branches have nothing. I do not see any nodes forming on the other branches. Being a newbie to Adenium I'm trying to figure out if there is anything I need to do to help this lovely along. I have re-potted in a larger shallow pot with cactus soil. I'm in Phoenix and it's still dipping to 50 at night so I still have the plant inside. A photo is attached. I am just in awe at the beauty of this succulent and hope to have more and learn how to care for them. Thanks for any suggestions. Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie help

Hi there!

Seems you're doing OK so far. The pot may be a little too big but really as long as it doesn't stay wet then you'll be fine. The nodes will push out where you see leaf scars. So as long as there are scars on those branches then you'll have a good chance of new branches forming.

Kirk

o

Judy be careful when you introduce it to the full sun it will need, it looks like maybe you raised the caudex a bit. That is good, but the plant may need to be gently eased into the sun after being inside or that part will burn. It's a real cute adenium!

For future reference, unless there is a massive wide network of roots under the soil, a pot half that size may have been better. Without seeing the rest of it I could be wrong though. I also usually add half perlite to even cactus soil if it is water retentive like a lot of them are. Like Kirk said though, if it doesn't stay soggy and hold water it'll be good the way it is.

Just my 2 cents. I hope you post pics when it is flowering!

-Heather

o

Judy, you are getting plenty of good advice from Heather and Kirk.

Smaller pot and perlite are perfect tips for your adenium

Marie

o

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will like it here and get good info to help your plant sprout forth and surprise you.
I agree with the others, the pot is on the generous side and grit/perlite/bark could be added to your mix to make sure it drains really well. Even cactus mix sometimes is not as it should be, it can contain a large proportion of peat which is known to hold onto any moisture. I see there's a saucer underneath your pot, but it's surprising how many use 'holeless' pots....however, I'm certain yours has at least one hole in it! So again as above, make sure it doesn't stay wet for long. Just trying to give you the best help we can.
Gill UK

o

Hi Judy - I'm in Phoenix as well and I have both of my adeniums out in full sun all day & night. They are slowly waking up and sprouting new leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here