Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariel7576

I Think I Killed It :(

Last summer, I bought an adenium with an interesting caudex. (I can't find the pictures!) I wanted to make it bushy, so I chopped it. I put cinnamon on the cuts. Then, I didn't water it at all over the winter. The weather got a little nicer recently, so I did give it some water a couple of weeks ago. Today, I was looking to see if maybe it needed some water. I think I killed it! The tip of the caudex is wrinkly.

{{gwi:340541}}

And that part is not quite soft, but it isn't totally hard like it is farther down.

Did I, indeed, kill it? I'm attaching another shot. (I think I may have found out how to post multiple pictures. Fingers crossed.)

{{gwi:340542}}

Could I salvage this at all? I really like the caudex!

Comments (21)

• somalenese
    10 years ago

hi Ariel
    you took the hard pruning to its extreme
    if the top is not mushy
    then its not a problem
    but
    uproot it and check for any mushy or squishy areas
    I personal y feel there won't be any but chk
    then hang for 24 hrs in a warm shade following which plant it in pure perlite keep in full sun for a day or two then start watering
    water only if the temperature is around say 75 or more

that's what I would do and I have a 70% success rate

thanks for this thread I'll be following it closely

let others give thr opinion but stop watering and see to it that not a single drop touches from top , you should have used glue instead of cinnamon and you were 10% extra hard during hard pruning

am I right ???

anurag

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was brutal with the pruning. There's no foliage. It was very cheap, but I VERY MUCH love the caudex. So, I thought I'd try to force it to make lots of foliage. Oddly, I was more okay with killing it by pruning way too hard than with letting the tip rot. It isn't mushy, just not super hard like the bottom. I'm going to unpot & I'll report back. Thanks!

Original Author
    10 years ago

It is now sitting on a pile of paper towels.
    The root area didn't look bad (albeit very sparse).
    {{gwi:340543}}

{{gwi:340544}}

{{gwi:340546}}

When I started feeling around, there were a couple of spots that felt pretty soft to me, so I cut them out. Inside, here was a big difference in colour between the brownish soft area & the almost white hard areas.

I'll put it in straight perlite tomorrow. Now, it will likely be several days/weeks before it hits 75 outside. And inside it is about 70 now. Any issues with waiting that long to water again? I would assume not, because it went all winter without water.

• Marlene666
    10 years ago

Hi Ariel
    You have a battle on your hands, hope to are able to save it. I noticed the white specks on the roots! Just wondering if this is from perlite or a mealy bug infestation. I had similar on some of my adeniums and it was mealy bug, so I washed all the roots with high pressure hose.

Marlene

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Hi Ariel,
    I would follow what Anurag has told you. You say, you did a hard prune.
    Was this last year? If the top portion is soft and you had pruned it last year, I would not leave the upper portion without removing it. If you leave it too long and it is rotting, then it will continue down.
    I would watch it carefully.
    Rick

Original Author
    10 years ago

Marlene, that's perlite that you see. I really appreciate the fact that people here have sharp eyes for pests, though!
    Rick, I'm not sure it will make it, but I'll give it a shot. The pruning was last year. I don't remember exactly when. I know before I brought it inside for the fall/winter.
    As I felt around a bit more, I decided that the top part was too squishy for me. So I cut it out, cutting down until I saw no more brown into just white/tan.
    I plopped it into just perlite today.
    Fingers crossed!

• somalenese
    10 years ago

70 is great Ariel

I am 100% sure your efforts will be rewarded
    all of us are counting on you Ariel you can't let it go I have salvaged some. so just have a big heart and be confident
    Be sure that you don't water it for 10 days then take it out check mushy areas and if you feel it has improved then start adding 2 tsp water each day

all the best

anurag

• somalenese
    10 years ago

hello Ariel

any updates

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi.. Nothing new to report yet. It is kind of just sitting there. The weather is steadily--if slowly--improving, and I've taken it outside during the daytime.
    I'll keep you updated. The good news is that I don't think it is declining.

• eilandkind
    10 years ago

I'm rooting for this little plant! Keep us updated.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sad to report that I don't think he's going to make it. The caudex is turning somewhat soft. I think the problem can be attributed to my use of just cinnamon instead of wood glue to seal the cuts. I'll report back, but now I want to find another.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Ariel,,,

Last ditch effort.. The roots look alright. Can you take a knife ( sharp) and could you cut to clean wood? It would seen like you would cut like a flat cut across the top. Take off as much rotten area as possible. Let it sit for an hour or so. Seal with waterproof wood glue. Keep it from Any moisture and repot in fast drainage mix. It sounds drastic, but you don't have anything to lose ,

Good luck

Laura

Original Author
    9 years ago

Good point, Laura. There's absolutely nothing to lose at this point.
    It is in perlite (just perlite) right now. Tomorrow, I'll get out a good sharp knife & some rubbing alcohol to make sure it is clean, and then start cutting. This will be an interesting experiment! :)
    I'm watching some seeds on ebay, but I'm not the most patient person in the world, so I'll probably just keep an eye out for a plant. I'm not seeing them anywhere right now.

• Pagan
    9 years ago

Hi Ariel. You could try online as well, I got all but one of my plants from a seller online, I think he is selling out of Florida and from the names, importing them out of Thailand.

Pagan

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Pagan. I'm definitely going to look around.

The plant is a goner. I was preparing to cut, so I took it out of the perlite. When I turned it onto its side to make the cut, I noticed that I hadn't gotten all of the mushy part last time. It was rotting from the bottom of part of it.

Well, it was a learning experience!

9 years ago

I'm so sorry...

Where are you located Ariel?

Laura

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in Annapolis.
    I don't seem to remember adeniums (I REALLY want to type adenia!) being out anywhere for sale around here until late summer. There's a nursery/plant store on NY Ave as you head into DC (kind of near the National Arboretum) that I have always been curious to stop by. I may just give myself some extra time next time I'm going into town.
    (I've put myself on a no-plant-buying moratorium, but replacing an existing one doesn't count!)

9 years ago

Send me an email...

Address... ;-)

Laura

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if my email worked. I can resend if it didn't.

9 years ago

Ariel.

Click onto my page next to my name... It will give you access to my email.

It will say to the far right. " send an email ".

Send me a message with your email and addy ,,,,

Thanks.

Laura