Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juniperbrea

No Growth

juniperbrea
11 years ago

I have my DR near a south facing window on a table. The photo included shows what sunlight it gets. Does it matter that the caudex doesn't get the light, and only the leaves?

I've seen no growth to this plant in about a year, obviously winter there was nothing... but even the new little leaves I've seen have turned brown/shriveled and died.

I water it with RO water and fish tank water every two-three weeks. More water?

Comments (7)

• teyo
    11 years ago

Feed it!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Just wondered how this plant was going on? Have you seen any signs of growth since you last posted?

If it were mine, (I seem to be saying this a lot lately!!) I would re-pot into a new fast draining gritty mix with some slow release fertiliser mixed in, water once, sparingly, cut back all the branches to within a 2-3 inches of their bases, put where it's gets more sun and wait for all those dormant buds to push out. Just my opinion, again!
    Hope you come back to us with any news.
    Gill from the UK.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Forgot to ask......Is it soft, either the branches or caudex, are the roots rotted? May have some bearing on the the remedy or even the outcome.
    Gill from the UK.

• juniperbrea
    Original Author
    11 years ago

greenclaws,

I haven't seen any new growth. I added some miracle gro crystal things to the water last week, but haven't seen anything new on it. The caudex/branches are not soft, and I haven't taken it out of the pot to check the roots. I have it in a potting soil mixed with lava rock, sand, perlite and wood chips. Is that a good mix? If not, what would you recommend? I know I don't want to use the perlite again, as we had a serge of tiny black flies/gnats in the house. I read it could be related to the perlite somewhere on the net, and to help combat them, I topped all my house plants with sand and lava rock and that seemed to help, but that was just before winter. I've started seeing them again as we come into spring.

I can't repot this weekend, so it'll have to be Wednesday or next weekend, if I see root rot what would you recommend I do with it? What does root rot look like? Also, I don't have any windows in the house that get direct sunlight, so after cutting the branches should I just set it out in the sun? Will that hurt it? Our weather is pmsing, ranging from 50s-85 all in the same week (sometimes the same day!). Would you recommend I wait until the heat comes to stay? Of course in TX, heat is never guaranteed until June/July! Then we have an abundance!!! lol

This is my only DR, I have an orchid, which is also not growing, some ivy type plants that are doing really well, and a bamboo plant that is alive but not thriving... lol...

I saw some DRs at Lowes the other day, but since I haven't figured out how to get mine to grow yet, I decided not to take on any more, even though it was SO HARD!!

Thanks so much for following up with me!

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

What sort of feed should be use on adenium? and how young a plant should be use it on?

• souradeep1982
    11 years ago

The plant definitely needs light , give it as much sun as possible and place it in free draining medium. feed it with 20:20:20 @ 1/4 strenth with each watering.As signs of growth appears cut the branches back @ half just above a node.best of luck.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hi again, sorry for not repling earlier, but I now see you have the answers you need to help your plant thrive. Please keep us in the loop as to it's recovery?
    Gill form the UK.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994