Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamkaz_gw

Prune, Pinch, and Medium?

adamkaz
11 years ago

Hi all,

I posted last year of my first adenium, here's a photo of it.

I've recently brought this adenium out from dormancy and repotted into a new medium, not sure if it is too "thick". Any thoughts? Also, should I prune it this year or let it grow? New growth already started...
{{gwi:340584}}
{{gwi:340585}}

Lastly, here are a few of my seedlings. I've read that some people "pinch" them... should I be doing anything like that at this point?

{{gwi:340586}}
Thanks for your thoughts on helping me care for these little guys!

Comments (7)

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Hi, adamkaz.

Wow! That single red with that purple edging I'd sell my room mate's cat to have one like that! just beautiful. I'd be tempted to leave it as is unless you just want to thin out some of the inside branches. Remember every time you prune it new branching is forced so in turn way more new blooms on the new growth. If you do decide to prune it I'd be more than happy to take any of the cuttings if you don't root them or are going to trash them.

Your seedlings look to be about a year old, right? I'd probably cut the tops off just a bit where you want branching to start on them. But that's just my opinion. The younger they are the easier to start training them to get the caudex and branching you want down the road.

Oh, and your potting mix looks great to me. Seems to be fast draining with those size chunks of stuff mixed in there.

Hope you find my comment useful but again it's all a matter of opinion.

Kirk

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

I can only agree with what Kirk has said on each point! The flower is really nice, I would settle for a flower of any kind on my plants as It's something I have yet to achieve.
    Gill from the UK.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

That is a beautiful flower Adamkaz,
    I would agree with Kirk and Gill about pruning. If I did any pruning on this plant it would be just on the longer branches and only a bit to have it produce more flowers. As this plant has soo many branches coming from a central point it could become even more dense if pruned too short.
    Rick

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hi again, I have one plant that is growing in a similar fashion, with many branches from just one growth point. Although I like it this way as I'm thinking, more tips = more flowers, it does have a downside. It is so congested when in leaf it's hard to keep a check on bugs, and it did have a slight issue with scale last year. The branches are so tight I couldn't even count how many there were! Far better to cut out a few 'close' ones completely, and you could always 'rub out' and new unwanted sprouts I guess.
    Gill from the UK.

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

I agree with you Gill......
    I would cut some off.

Marie

• adamkaz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your advice. So far, I went ahead and pinched the one-year-olds, but have not done any pruning of my larger one.

It is pretty congested in the middle and pruning would probably make it more. But I like the idea of more flowers. :)

What about pruning some of the outer branches, perhaps mid-way up? Or, if it's simply best to just wait, that is okay too.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

If you wanted to open it up a bit a prune. I would prune some of the branches (not many) right to base of stem.
    Try to make a nice form and let light and air flow through the plant. Prune some of the longer branches back just a little to keep the lateral branches to come further out from the base.
    It is a beautiful plant, but a bit congested.
    Then when you see any nodes or branches trying to form lower down, then rub them off.
    It is a matter of personal choice.
    Rick

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler