Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

Adeniums at Lowes

ladylotus
11 years ago

I happened to be running thru Lowes after work tonight and seen they had a couple Adeniums on there discount rack. I did not pick them up as I have plenty of my own that I started from seed several years ago. However, I'm wondering what kind and color they may be. dI did see they were grafted. They were labeled Desert Rose Saha from Costa Farms. Any ideas?

Comments (29)

• 54641210d
    11 years ago

They probably have pink flowers. Unless they were flowering right then or it was written on a label, I don't think you can find out what color they are online. Maybe ask an employee there

Josette

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Josette, I don't think they bloomed there as I was there a month ago and they were not there. I thought perhaps with the name Saha it might ring a bell with someone and the fact they were grafted made me also think they may be a named variety. I might go back and get one...I can't stop thinking about them. I need another plant like I need a hole in my head. UGH.

They were selling them for almost nothing since they were dormant and had no leaves and a few shriveled stems. The caudex were rock hard though.

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Costa farms sells a lot of small DRs here in S. Florida. Some grafted others not, you can get anything; regular pinks, whites and multiple variants of red. All plants sold here were singles.

Aggie

• kayjones
    11 years ago

I picked up some of this one at Lowe's last fall: "Siam Purple" - they are good bloomers, single small blooms about the size of a silver dollar.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the information everyone. I did not get around to going back to pick one up.

Kayjones, did your Siam Purple bloom purple? Or did it bloom small single pink flowers?

• MRI_Guy
    11 years ago

LadyLotus - I was in Lowes this afternoon picking up light bulbs when I remembered reading your "Lowes" post, so I walked back to the plant section and sure enough, there were 5 fat DR's sitting there so I picked this guy up and brought him home with me. It's a grafted plant with 3 small clusters of what look to be cherry red flower buds on 3 different branches. It too was labeled "Desert Rose Saha from Costa Farms".

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Ooooh, now that's a real fatty! Every one is so different I find them fascinating.
    Gill from the UK.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That looks like a very nice plant you got. I went back and all the ones at our Lowes were sold. I could kick myself in the fanny for not grabbing one or two of them. I can't wait to see what your blooms look like. Nice find!

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

MRI, that is very nice plant, short and fat.....looking healthy.
    Please pictures coming with the blooms.
    Marie

• nearpass
    11 years ago

I'm a newbie here, had adeniums once in the dark ages before the internet when information was much harder to get resulting in major failures, and I am a recent new part-time hire at Lowe's. We got some of these in a few weeks ago, and I rescued the last one on clearance. They had been placed on a bottom shelf facing away from the windows in the full blast of our automatic door to the outside. They rapidly lost all foliage and flowers. Yesterday I went to another nearby Lowe's and got a much nicer one...they had been much better located. I have raised both of them a bit and gently repotted...I figured the first was already very shocked, and the second probably at least mildly so, plus they were being grown in pure coconut coir, which I am not at all fond of, but that's another story! They are in a south facing window. From the photo, you can easily see which is which.

Now that I have educated myself considerably more, and having found this forum, I'm hoping for better success this time around.

To me neither of these look grafted...is that correct?

This post was edited by nearpass on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 21:30

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Hello Nearpass. welcome to the forum.
    Your plants look good. Don't worry, the one without leaves will be full head of leaves very soon since the growing season now just begin.

Please take closer shots for us to see if it is grafted.
    Lowes has great deal once in awhile, so you have the benefit of working there.

Marie

• nearpass
    11 years ago

Thanks, Marie. here is a closeup of the two. To me they don't look grafted, but what do I know!

This post was edited by nearpass on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 9:27

• nearpass
    11 years ago

Here's the second:

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Amazing finds. I'm inclined to agree that they don't look grafted.

I swear every time I'm at a Lowe's, Home Depot or any where else I never see any adeniums with the exception of last November I saw 3 huge ones at a Home Depot sitting outside and we were expecting a possible freeze that night. I felt bad for those plants but didn't see a price and that particular Home Depot across the freeway from me isn't known for having helpful nor friendly staff.

Kirk

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Nearpass, they are from seeds, but still great find.
    Thank you for the pictures.
    Please keep them coming.
    Marie

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hello Nearpass and welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will get some good info from the helpful folks we have here, all with different methods, conditions and experiences. Nice plants you have found there, I hope they will thrive for you. I also think they are not grafted plants. Hope to see you around!
    Gill from the UK.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nearpass, your plants look great. Glad you were able to find some nice looking adeniums at Lowes. I wish our Lowes would get more in. I hope your plants do well for you.

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

{{gwi:340711}}

Yay! I'm excited. I finally found a desert rose - at Lowe's! :D

• MRI_Guy
    11 years ago

My Lowe's DR has 4 seperate clusters of buds on it (only 2 showing here), I hope they swell up and become flowers!

Scott

• nearpass
    11 years ago

Well, I made an expedition yesterday, and was able to come up with the ingredients for the gritty mix....we're in a rural area, so it really wasn't too difficult. Today, I had to go to Lowe's again and double check the adeniums. There were three grafted ones!!! Must have missed them before, not looking carefully. No flowers, and no label for color, but I picked the one with the most interesting caudex, washed off the roots, and repotted in the gritty mix. There were some random roots to nowhere which I sliced off with an exacto knife, and here it is. Now, I just have to get these guys to grow! I figure spring and summer are the times to give it a go.

(Please excuse the rough paint on the picnic table...it's due for rehab later this spring. Our winters aren't very kind to outdoor furnishings!)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Dragonstone, Scott and Nearpass, congrats to the 3 of you on your finds. they all look like nice plants with good bases. It seems like your various Lowes stores have come up trumps. It will be interesting to follow them through and see them in flower...and real soon in the case of yours Scott!.
    Gill from the UK.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dragon - love the caudex on your newly found DR. I think it is going to get even more interesting as it matures...nice find.

Scott - You are so lucky yours are beginning to bloom. Mine are just starting to put on little nubs which will eventually be leaves. I like the BIG fat caudex on yours.

Nearpass - it will be very interesting to see what color blooms you get from that grafted DR. I hope you get something exciting! My favorite part of these plants is the caudex and I think your is going to really be gnarly. cool!!!

I keep going back to my Walmarts and Lowes but have not seen anymore DR's. I thought I had enough initially then when I heard Marie had 100's + I thought I could easily sneak another one or two in my collection. ha ha.

Enjoy your adeniums everyone. Thanks for all the photos...I love seeing them.

• CoyoteMoss
    11 years ago

Was reading this earlier and decided to go to Walmart. They had about 12 plants and a shelf full of leaves. Over half had no leaves at all, the rest had very few and there were 2 that had a few green leaves but also several were yellow. They were $12.88.
    Thought I would ask before I buy. Will these come back with leaves and would you buy these? Guessing that since these were inside the store, no one had watered them?
    Started to buy one but over half the leaves were yellow.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As long as the caudex is hard it should be fine and regrow leaves once it gets enough sunlight and warmth.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Stopped in at Lowes today in Maui. They did not have any and this may have been a good thing as I could not take them home with me.
    There is a place up Island that I had heard of and I am going to peruse it and hopefully take some photo's. I have seen them growing in pots in various yards.
    Rick

• MRI_Guy
    10 years ago

First bloom on my Lowe's DR today.

Notice the long slender leaves on this plant...

Scott

This post was edited by MRI_Guy on Sun, May 19, 13 at 21:27

• lilce51286
    10 years ago

my first desert rose I bought from Lowes it looked so healthy but from the store to my house and after I repotted it 2 weeks later. All leaves started to fall, some turned yellow/brown tips, dried up, and some plain green fell. Soil was what I use for all my succulents which is in my cactus room. So now its 3 months later and I'll post the new pic of what I did a few weeks ago to start over. It had to acclimate to my house

• lilce51286
    10 years ago

Hard Pruning: now it has very tiny new growth on all of the stems. SO HAPPY!! I keep it on the dry side, its in my cactus room, I use bonsai soil, orchid bark, very small bit of Logee's soil, more orchid bark and top dress with pebbles. It gets morning sun only & afternoon-evening reflected light since sun goes to the back. Soil is extremely fast draining but since I water most of my plants in this room 1x a month some I had to start doing 2x a month for some: in this pic desert rose, and one on far right Wheeping Blue Ginger (logees) easter cactus they get 2x's. Everything else 1x aloe, succulent/cactus arrangement, jade, and my christmas cactus cuttings.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lilce,

Your Adenium from Lowes looks like it has a very nice caudex. That is going to be one gorgeous plant. I'm glad it is putting on new growth for you. Good luck.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm