Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuy415

11 month old seedling -caudex turning yellow and shriveling! Help

chuy415
10 years ago

I have this seedling that I just noticed turning a lighter color at the base of caudex and looks to be shriveling as well- what can I possibly do to save it?? Please help :-/. Thank you

Chuy

Comments (18)

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Hi Chuy! Is the caudex firm?! When was the last time you watered?

If the caudex is soft, it might be something with the roots, or it might also need water.

I'm sure others with have more advice/tips

Mark

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mark- it's not too soft nor real firm. Worried its rot. I watered about a week ago. :-(

Chuy

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

I would dig up and see what is happening down below dirt. Roots tell the story. Good luck. Paula

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Paula- will do that. Not quite sure how to tell if they're ok or not. Will post a pic once I dig ;)

Chuy

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Chuy, take it out from the soil and dry it for couple days, I am not sure if you can save it,

Good luck to you.

Marie

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you- will take it out and see what happens. Wish I knew what I did wrong ;-(

Chuy

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Looks like you are using the gritty mix or a version of it. It could be that the plants roots had dried out a tad too much, then the plant was watered but the dried out roots weren't able to take up the water so it rotted. Just a possibility. I've had the same happen myself.
    How big is the pot as it looks a little on the large side for a relatively small plant with it's corresponding small root system?
    I hope you are able to save it, keep us posted......good luck.
    Gill UK.

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gill- I will post 3 pictures individually as I don't know how to post all in one. The roots "look" ok to me except for a small white spot they you all will see - the caudex now seems a bit sift which I'm worried about- the pot is a 4"- which I was told would be a good idea to transplant to once it got the first or second set of leaves. The mix is gritty which I thank Laura for the help - I also mix a bit of cactus mix and volcanic pumice.
    Should I leave alone and wash out roots and let sit for a couple days and repot?

Chuy

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it is right out of the pot

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the other side that looks cleaner but still the caudex doesn't look too great :-(

10 years ago

white dots near the root are they perlite or melee bugs?? (sp?)

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think they're mealy bugs :(

10 years ago

They could be sucking the life out of your young plant Try treating with rubbing alcohol on a q-tip. Check your other plants too. Good luck Paula

oh and nice nails by the way.

This post was edited by ilovetogrow on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 15:52

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Darn- ok. Will do- should I just check for discoloration and softness of caudex?
    Thanks Paula- just got them done few days ago. Lol

Chuy

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Please don't tell me this one might be infected as well.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi there, the roots look as if they've been kind of 'cut short' so yes, maybe they are indeed root mealies as suggested above. I'm not familiar with them (thank goodness!) but I'm sure Laura's treatment will work if that's what you have.

I personally still think the pot is too large (maybe I'm an underpotter!) as the pot will hold a great deal of compost without any roots to draw out some of the water held in it. Until the plant recovers and grows a more extensive/healthy root system that's able to almost fill the pot, I would go for a smaller one...hoping someone else will chime in with their thoughts on this bit.

Now you have shown the later pic, I think I can see what has also possibly happened....The 2 pics seem to have very different mixes in them....the mix in your first pic looks ideal, very open and free draining with big chunky bits. I read you have added cactus mix, in what proportion? Now look at the later pic where the top bit has been removed and the mix is a lot finer, it looks rather wetter too as each time you water the cactus mix has got washed down and now sits in the lower levels and around what roots the plant has. The top layer drains well so always appears dry so maybe you thought it needed watering, but the lower levels were still wet as they held the more water retentive cactus mix and that could have rotted the roots off.

I think it could be a problem of three parts.
    #1 root mealy bugs...if that's what the white dots are
    #2 too large a pot with lots of un-occupied compost
    #3 overwatering a gritty mix that's got a bit too much added cactus formula.
    I would let it dry out a bit and then re-pot.....in a smaller pot if it were mine :) hoping to see some others opinions though.
    Gill UK

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Gill so much for your informative and helpful information- you are absolutely right about the mix it's in. The top portion is gritty and middle does have more cactus and volcanic pumice- however, this is what it looks like so far on the second seedling that looks to be a little on the yellowish side (caudex). It's pretty firm and can't seem to find anything wrong so far. I probably will transplant to a smaller pot if that will help it any but I do have about 10 others that seem ok so far ;-)

Chuy

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok- I apologize for bombarding everyone with so many pics- the caudex seems firm- can't figure out if it's ok to pot up again. :-)
    (Can you see who photo bombed my pic? Lol)
    Chuy