Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxiquai

Adenium stems leggy and limping

maxiquai
10 years ago

Help me please , can anyone tell me what wrong with my adenium? they look healthy (well in my eyes) but the stems are leggy and bending. I notice that part of the caudex is not as firm to the touch but no sign of rotting. I water them only once a week but I got 2 days of afternoon rain this week and I am wondering if this could have caused them to be waterlogged. Here are some pics notice one of them have buds that are soon to be opened .

Comments (10)

• maxiquai
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry I was trying to upload all pics in on post but couldn't. same plant -pic showing stem bending

• maxiquai
    Original Author
    10 years ago

same plant different angle

• maxiquai
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another one of my limpers.

• maxiquai
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another plant that is leggy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Maxiquai,
    I would stake up the first one pictured and watch the caudex that it does not continue to get softer. If the soil got really wet and is not a free draining mix, it could cause issues. Looks to have a nice caudex developing at soil surface.
    If concerned about the caudex you could lift and check caudex/roots. Not sure if this will effect flowers.

The second plant. I would ask. How much sunlight do they receive?
    The distance between the internodes, looks quite long. This can be a results of low light levels. Maybe just the photo.
    You are going into spring/ summer so pruning could also be an option.
    Rick

• maxiquai
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rick , I am going to try that . You are right about the second one , I had it under an awning facing west to protect it from rain. and the awning might have been blocking the sunlight also. Thanks again.

• Pagan
    10 years ago

hI Maxiqual,

I agree with Rick, especially about pruning the plant and checking the potting medium.

Adeniums also sometimes grow this way when they grow too fast too soon--usually as a result of frequent feeding that is not matched by copious amounts of heat and light. You can kind of tell by the stem/branch--they get very green and fleshy like asparagus tips. If they are growing at a sustainable rate, new growth are usually green but more woody and able to support the weight of large leaves, even flowers.

So if the plants are not getting at least 6 hours of direct sunlight, do not feed or water them too much.

I would definitely and drastically prune, if those were my plants. In fact, even in Zone 7 where I am, I prune my younger plants if they get unruly, making sure there are enough leaves left to support their energy requirements.

Keep us posted!

Pagan

• maxiquai
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Pagan,

Another question , some of the pots has a white chalk like deposit on where the soil meets the pot. What can this be.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi, it could be lime from tapwater if that is what you use, so do you know if you in a hard water area? May also be excess fertiliser salts that the plant isn't able to take up. How often are you feeding?
    I agree with the others comments above, particularly with the 2nd plant as it looks as if it's searching for the light source in vain. I think they have both grown too quick in their search for the sun and just can't support their length/weight. As mentioned above, a pruning would certainly help...personally I would let the flowers open first.
    Gill UK

• maxiquai
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Gill, I am in Kingston Jamaica, and I have to use filters on my indoor pipes because of hard water , so you maybe right on both points because outdoor I don't have the filter on and I recently feed fertilizer the plants

Maxine

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors