Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcharles_gw

Laura - Special Thank You for aftercare of pruning with WP glue

Laura,
I have pruned my plants quite a few times in the past years, but I have to say that the results I have had at the end of last year and this year, is amazing using the waterproof glue you spoke to me/us about. The ends heal so quickly with very little shrinking and they stay a clear color with no browning.
Thank you, Thank you my adenium friend.
So nice to learn new things from people and this is exactly what makes this forum so special.
Funny, I find that over the years people have looked at me and wondered why it was always important to me that I know the ins and outs of how things worked.
Always asking questions and now I have to thank my parents for always saying to me that, "if do not ask, you will not know the answer and that the only stupid question is the one that is not asked."
Sorry for rambling, just popped into my head. Amazing.
Rick

Comments (22)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Rick, the other thing special about you is that you are kind, generous and thoughtful enough to say thank you. It is amazing how many people come to this website for advice and after others give their time, energy and know-how, there is nothing but thin air. You have good parents. :)

Carol in Jacksonville

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Awwww. RICK. You just made my night !!

That was so nice of you to say that!!!

Thank you my friend for the nice compliment. When I find that something works, I like to share. Some people look or read these things and think ...
    " huh". I am so glad you like this. I use it all of the time as well as when I cut on my Plumeria to make cuttings. I seal the mother tree with this waterproof wood glue. Works great!!!

The other tree that I want to post pics of when I hard pruned in February, I sealed and it is now pushing new branches. The ends look great as you have mentioned from the look of your trees.

I am so happy!! Thank you!!!

I agree with Carol.. It takes a special person to take the time as you have done. I really appreciate this very much!!!

So glad you are happy!!!

Have a good night, my friend!!

Laura

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Great people- great forum- thank all of you here that share everything you know and questions and all!!!
    My question: what is the name is the waterproof glue you use? I pruned couple branches about 10 days ago but did not deal and tried to keep in a dry spot to help from rotting.

Chuy

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Great people- great forum- thank all of you here that share everything you know and questions and all!!!
    My question: what is the name of the waterproof glue you use? I pruned couple branches about 10 days ago but did not seal and tried to keep in a dry spot to help from rotting.

Chuy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chuy,
    I got the glue from a craft store here (called Michael's). I saw many Elmer's white glue, but Laura mentioned a Waterproof one. They made both.
    Had not used it before, but will always now. Really like the results.
    Rick

10 years ago

For those that want more info on the glue, here is a link to Laura's original post.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Elmer's waterproof Wood Glue

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

After remembering Laura talking about her success doing this I had got the same bottle of this glue a couple of weeks back when looking for a waterproof wood glue. I'm very happy with it. It will be a permanent part of my plant care routine.

Thanks, Laura!
    Kirk

10 years ago

You all are awesome!!!!

What a great group to all help out.

Thank you Carol for posting the pic of the bottle and over at the other thread, the links. Great info!! Thank you so much!!!

It really pleases me to see the excitement in your post and to know that you all want to go out there and start with what you have learned. What a great group of wonderful friends..

What a great feeling... ;-)

Have a wonderful night!!!

You all are great....

Laura

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Thank you Rick, Carol and Laura. Going to Michaels tomorrow ;-)

Chuy

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

'Thank you' are 2 relatively small individual words, but used together they have a great meaning.

Gill UK

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

I had some branches die back in my greenhouse from it getting a bit too cold. I also remembered what Laura used and tried it. I was astonished at the results. Everything used to turn brown after cutting. Using the waterproof woodglue I did not have the ugly brown coloring at the cut. I do appreciate the tips I receive on this forum.

Besides...I need all the help I can get.

• Hyn Patty, Western NC Mountains (USA)
    6 years ago

Yep, nice post to see. I happen to use super glue but it serves the same purpose and I'm really happy with the cuts being so tidy, no withering. Especially when I had to cut out a large area of rot on a newly arrived plant. Glue sealed up the large wound and the plant is leafed out and growing well. I was afraid I'd loose the last branch of the graft which I had to undercut partially to get the rot out that had gone down into the core of the root stock.

6 years ago

So nice to see you, Carol!! You are more than welcome and I'm glad you find this top helpful!! I hope you have a beautiful growing season too!!!

Hyn.. it certainly is a nice post to see!!

Thank you!!

Laura

• Rob H (zone 6a/NE Kansas)
    6 years ago

Do you only use this when pruning branches? You wouldn't use it on roots, correct?

6 years ago

I was pruning unwanted rootstock branch growth below a graft. My cuts were flush with the caudex and the glue worked great.

I think this could be used when making flush cuts to remove large roots, but I don't think it would be used on roots where you desire future growth. However, I'm eager to see how those with more experience (everyone) answer.

Carol

• Marie Tran
    6 years ago

Yes, that is the glue. It works very good.

Marie

6 years ago

I use the glue (super glue in my case) on both branch pruning and roots and it works well. Thus far it doesn't seem to inhibit anything. New roots or branches come out along the sides of the cut and not from the cut itself.

• Rob H (zone 6a/NE Kansas)
    6 years ago

Hyn Patty, do you still let the whole plant dry for several days, or longer, before replanting (as seems to be indicated in other places here)?

Thanks for the thoughts!

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

No, I do not unless there is some reason to be concerned. If there are other iffy areas among the roots then I think it would be wise to hang it and let it dry a while. Now mind you I have less experience with adeniums than many of you here but with succulents and bonsai in general and I also give a spraying over with sulfur to deter fungal and bacterial issues.

If in doubt, I wouldn't urge anyone to feel the need to toss out conventional wisdom and repot back up right away. I do, but then I also keep the soil a little on the dry side and treat the plant for repotting stress for a week or two of light watering and dappled sunlight until the plant settles back in.

Obviously I'll need a few years to fine tune what works best for me but so far I haven't lost anything to rot aside from a few seedlings at first start. On the other hand I've only brought my adeniums through one winter thus far.

6 years ago

Good Morning!!

I like to use the Waterproof Glue on trimmed branches to seal off the cut.

When I have issues with roots and or have problems with root rot or areas of rotting on the Caudex, I will treat the area with Sulfur and let it dry and then pot back up. ( sometimes hang to dry out )

You can find Sulfur in the gardening section at your local box stores.

Sometimes if you need to cover a large area, you can make a paste with the Sulfur ( natural fungicide) Let it dry on the treated area. Take the Sulfur and add a little water to make a paste you can work with...

Hope this helps !!

Laura

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure