Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcharles_gw

Some of my Seedlings

I wanted to share a few photo's of some of my seedlings.
Just getting the hang of the photo loading.
The older seedling are from Dec. 2011 and the new where sown Feb. 2013.

{{gwi:341075}}
{{gwi:341077}}
{{gwi:341078}}
{{gwi:341079}}
{{gwi:341080}}
{{gwi:341081}}
{{gwi:341081}}
{{gwi:341082}}
{{gwi:341084}}
{{gwi:341085}}

I hope they have come through. Looking forward to watching them grow this year.
Rick

Comments (18)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One that I missed and one of my favorites.
    {{gwi:341087}}

• chuy415
    11 years ago

Rick.. You are very lucky... I too planted seeds 2/26 and haven't seen any sprout.. A little sad.. What mix did you use on your last pic or the smaller seedlings? Thanks for sharing..

Chuy

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Nice plants Rick. Between us we are certainly going to have forests of adeniums. I too like the shape of the one you forgot to post as I prefer the squat chunky looking ones.

Chuy, I hope you soon get some positive results with your seeds, don't give up on them just yet. .
    Gill from the UK.

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Great pics and plants!

Is that a raku outside the window or just finish on that vase sculpture? I LOVE raku.

Kirk

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I love the stout ones also. I was thinking of pinching some earlier on but had many different hybrids and decided to see how each grew individually. Gave a bunch away last year and kept what appealed to me.
    I kept a number all from the same seed pack as I want to see the differences when they bloom.

Kirk,
    That is just a pottery urn with the Raku look to it. I love Raku also. Have quite a few nice pieces from a local artist/potter in Qualicum Beach (Larry Aquilar). Unbelieveable work.
    Thanks so much,
    Rick

• chuy415
    11 years ago

Thanks Gill.

Chuy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chuy,
    I appoligize for not replying to your earlier post.
    I use 60% perlite, 40% cocnut coir,but I do not believe it is the mix that makes much of a difference. I have had many start fairly erratically and I am guessing it could be a number of things, age of seed, moisture to initiate germination or lack there of.
    It is probably just a learning curve and I am sure you will master starting them.
    Rick

• Pagan
    11 years ago

Those pictures rock, Rick.

I've been wondering---what does everyone's oldest DR look like? I would love to see.

• User
    11 years ago

Hello fakechuchi,
    Your wish is granted. I will start a new topic and post photos.

Brian UK.

• User
    11 years ago

Hi,
    Lots of discussions on seedlings, so here are some photos of what they grow into. These are my own plants and although not up to the standard of some pictured on this forum I am working on it !
    The first photo is of two of my most mature plants entered in a local flower show last August. A pink and a white in the succulent section.

• User
    11 years ago

The next photo is what they look like today. The pink has been shaped but I don't trim the white one. They are pictured with their trophy! I will have to give it back before the next show unfortunately.

• User
    11 years ago

The pink is grown from 07 seed and the white is grafted from 07. The white stands 29 inches from base of pot. Both are in 8 inch pots.
    The next is an Arabicum from 06 seed. The seed was stored for a year in a kitchen cupboard before sowing so it really dates from 07 as well. The plant is 18 inches high from base of pot.
    I was trying to start a sparate topic but my entries have shown in the seedling thread so apologies to the originator.

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Rick, your seedlings look great. I really like the one you missed. Love the stout caudex.

Adenium, I do not believe the last photo is an arabicum. It looks like an obesum to me. I do think your plants that won at the show are beautiful.

This post was edited by ladylotus on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 12:37

• chuy415
    11 years ago

Rick,
    It's ok... No need to apologize. Well, as a beginner, I will keep in mind all of the above :).. age of seed, moisture... etc. I bought the seeds from Ebay and will just have to wait and see what happens.. Still learning and thanks again!

Chuy

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

adenium1949 the pink and white look great! so glad they won a trophy!...love their shape! :)

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

How long does it take for the baby adenium seedlings to branch like yours did rcharles? I have 2 seedlings that I grew from seed back in October 2012, which they both have about 12-16 leaves and looks about the size of yours but they don't have any tiny branches yet, just a pudgy little bottom.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hello, I find that seedlings usually start to branch after their first year of growing as during that early time they tend to concentrate their efforts on roots and so grow their 'foundations' first. Yours should start to branch from the leaf nodes this spring, hopefully. Can you post a picture for us to look at as this may help us to help you? Plus we like to see everyones pics anyway! It may be yours need to be 'stopped' in order to force branches to push out...so you see why we need to see them?
    Gill from the UK.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kim,
    Most of the older seedlings that I have in 4" pots are 15 months old and rest in varying ages.
    I have not been growing them for as long as Gill or some of the others and I am still learning.
    I assume because Adeniums do not come true to seed. That this is why I get so many with different characteristics. As for the branching. I would say the last summer when they where actively growing (7-8 mths.) is when there was noticeable signs of some lateral branching, but many did not.
    Growing as many hybrids and misc. species seed, gave me quite a lot to see in the way of growth.
    It surprises me at just how different seedlings can be coming from the same seed package. Makes me question what I actually got for seed?
    Either way, I am enjoying this hobby with the Adeniums.
    Rick

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor