Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltran54

First double adenium of the year

Marie Tran
11 years ago

I normally prune my DR at the beginning of the growing season, but this one, I am saving for graft later after blooming season is over. That is why it is kinda leggy.

{{gwi:341224}}

{{gwi:341226}}

{{gwi:341229}}

{{gwi:341230}}

Comments (20)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Lovely flowers there Marie. What are you going to do when you graft? Will you use this as the rootstock or will this plant supply the material to graft onto another one maybe? Just curious! Would like to see some pics of it when its been done as I've never grafted anything, let alone a precious DR!!.
    Gill from the UK.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Marie that's beautiful. I can't wait to see my doubles in bloom.

Gill the pictured plant will supply the graft(s). A seed grown adenium is used as the rootstock. I have an abundance of single pinks that I want to eventually use as rootstock for grafting more desirable varieties. It's the same idea as grafting named plumerias to seed grown rootstock.

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Gill, Karyn is quicker than me to answer your question. She knows exactly what I mean. Right Karyn?
    I bought this plant last year, and already used it for supply. Most of the graft took and now some are having bud too.
    Marie

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

So the reason for the grafting exercise is to produce a batch of several plants that have those very desirable double flowers so you use the more ordinary singles as the rootstcks? I couldn't see that at first as I thought this plant had a good swollen base and good flowers too, so it's basically to get more like it eh? The penny has finally dropped, duh!!....I can hear a distant round of applause from the rest of you over the pond, lol!!
    Gill from the UK.

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    11 years ago

Marie,
    your plants make me drool....
    I have been on a IPad, finally got the computer fixed and your plants look hugh to what I am used to seeing lol. would love to find a good supplier of double blooms.
    thanks for sharing
    Sharon

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sharon, I do know a lady who lived about 1 hour north of Houston. She is not a nursery but she does have plenty to choose from. Email me, I will send you a link, you can see the color and the price. You can call her and order from her. I got 2 for Karyn about 1 month ago. She has double and triple and many beautiful colors. Her price is very reasonable. Marie

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    11 years ago

Marie, you have e-mail
    sharon

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Marie, SO BEAUTIFUL!! One of these days I need to find a double flower adenium. I've just never seen one locally.

Thanks for posting!

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Sharon and Nancy.

Marie

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today is the first yellow adenium of mine open. I have been waiting for a yellow this long and today is the first, but won't be the last (I hope).
    I bought this on 4-07-12 exactly 1 month ago.
    {{gwi:341231}}

{{gwi:341232}}

{{gwi:341233}}

Very Bright sun for these pictures.

{{gwi:341234}}

{{gwi:341235}}

{{gwi:341236}}

• pcput
    11 years ago

"WOW" Marie they are BEAUTIFUL, even in the bright sun. I wish the doubles were more available. Thanks so much for sharing them with us. Peg

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Peg, there are so many buds still forming on this plant and by next month, it have many more blooms. I will post again when it in fully bloom.
    Marie

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today one more double open up, the caudex is little bigger than a quarter.

{{gwi:341237}}

{{gwi:341238}}

{{gwi:341240}}

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Marie, do you know what yellow the one in this thread is?

Kirk

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kirk,
    I will look at the tag and let you know.
    Marie

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Thanks. I have a feeling the Luang Siam Yellow I got will be more of a very light cream color. Which is fine. But at some point I want something with a nice medium to light yellow. It was my mom's favorite color and the one in your photos looks very nice.

Kirk

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

The "New yellow" and "Yellow Earth" are nice yellows. It seems the one thing the growers are wanting is a yellow that hold it's color for a bit longer and does not start to fade out within a day or so.
    Hope you do not mind me butting in.
    Rick

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Not at all. I know a lot of yellows and other colors fade fast. There's still a long way to go on the hybridization but they're getting close. :)

Kirk

• Marie Tran
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kirk, that plant named.
    Sab Jaren Yellow.
    Marie

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Thanks Marie!

Kirk

Sponsored