Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junglajungle

Help please

Junglajungle
11 years ago

Hello, this Desert Rose Christmas Santa arrived today in the mail; it came all the way from Florida to Arizona. The roots are so dry; if I touch the little ones they come off, the leaves were black and came off. I clipped two branches and took off some little roots that were vey damaged. The big root had the end point soft as if it was bruised so I cut a little off. Ok my question is: should I repot the plant? If yes when should I water it? Is very dry, I donâÂÂt want it to rot. I put cinnamon on the cuts. Any advice you can give me on how to proceed is appreciated. Thanks for the help. Ariana

Comments (8)

• teyo
    11 years ago

I'd leave it to dry out a day or two, the pot it into DRY mix, leave another few days and then give it a tiny amount of water. Then little by little increase watering when you see it put out new leaves, not before because it is not spending much water without leaves to breathe through.
    You need to monitor those points where the blackened leaves were, and possibly spray the branches with fungicide. At this point i would worry more about tip rot than root rot. Sellers should know to remove leaves before shipping :/

• Pagan
    11 years ago

Hi Ariana!

More experienced eyes in this forum might be able to spot problems I cant see but I think your plant is fine. I bought all my plants this last winter and they arrived beaten, half-frozen and vacillating between too wet and too dry. But they are all fine. I did exactly what you did---cleaned up the muck and then potted them up. Because I'm paranoid about root rot, I waited a day before I watered them and when I did, I watered them thoroughly. If it wasn't 7C outside where I am, I'd put that plant out in the porch where it's bright but no direct sun. At least for a while.

Check out the link below, just to get an idea of how much abuse this plant can take!

Pagan

Here is a link that might be useful: elsewhere in the forum

• Junglajungle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Teyo I will follow all your instructions, IâÂÂm going to get a fungicide today and spray it.
    I was disappointed of the condition the plant arrived in, I read great reviews about the seller and decided to give it a try.

Pagan, thanks for the encouragement; IâÂÂm also very paranoid about root rot. Thanks for the link, one picture was shocking but at the same time encouraging.

Rick thank you, once repotted I will place it under a tree with filtered shade.

Thank you all for the fast and helpful replies. I will post follow up pictures.

Ariana

• teyo
    11 years ago

Np, glad to help. Don't wash off that cinnamon when you pot it up, just put the whole thing in the potting mix. I think your plant will be fine, filtered shade is a great idea, and gradually give it more light when leaves start to grow (but might want to check with growers from your area, i've read that some parts of the US have too much heat even for adeniums).
    Good luck!

• Marica 7 high Sierra's Ca 4,000ft
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Rick this is the third time you have used haddock roots. I looked it up and just got fish. Which roots are you talking about? You also say that they are different from feeder roots What does that mean?

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    8 years ago

The "Haddock Roots" are the main thick roots. The fine roots which grow off of them are the feeder or fibrous roots. This of course is on Virgin/Natural rooted trees with no cutting of roots.

Rick