Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbrow156

Rooting cuttings HELP!

sbrow156
11 years ago

I have tried rooting several cuttings after pruning and I wait a few days for the end to dry off and them put them in the soil and water them and keep it moist. Not soaking but moist. And they always die. They arent rotting i have checked. Any leaves on them just die and fall off and it just never forms roots. What am i doing wrong? I have tried at different times of the year and everything...they just never root :(

Comments (8)

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what is going wrong for you. I had a cutting of my regular pink I tried to root. It was doing ok until we had a cold snap a couple weeks back. I forgot to bring in the cutting and it's not looking so good now.

Kirk

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Sbrow,

I'm not exactly sure what may be the problem. However, I have rooted cuttings for various succulents and other plants, the soil cannot be too wet or they begin to rot. I hope you are using a soiless medium like perilite and peatmoss and leaving the soil on the dry side. I also might try dipping into a rooting hormone...although I do not believe that is necessary. Are you providing bottom heat?

I hope someone that has more knowledge jumps in to help you.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

I think that they would need to be treated similar to Frangipani's. Take a cutting and dip in rooting hormone and allow to calluse up for 1-2weeks in filtered light, but Warm site. Some cover ends with a mulch and others do not. Once callused, plant up into a free draining mix, water in and leave alone until you see growth. No tugging to check.
    I believe that Mary and Laura may have done some.
    They may not give a nice size caudex from cuttings, but the challenge of doing it would be enjoyable.
    Rick

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Just saw this on saimadenium's facebook. Don't know if you'd want to get this a try before the next time you prune.

Kirk

Here is a link that might be useful: Newspaper air layering technique

• teyo
    11 years ago

You should strip the leaves before trying to root them. Save the leaves and stick them in a separate pot, a lady on a local forum here managed to root leaves quite sucessfully. Put the cuttings in dry media and do not water them, it will cause rot. I suggest cutting a soda bottle in half, and poking some holes in the bottom part, filling it with dry potting mix which you use for adeniums and sticking the cutting(s) in. Next take a spray bottle filled with water and fungicide and lightly spray the cutting, and the inside of the top part of the bottle. You should also poke a couple of small holes in the top part for ventilation. Cover with that top and place the whole thing somewhere in shade, preferably with bottom heat.
    Still don't expect miracles, cuttings are quite prone to rot. If you see some new growth after a while you can start watering very lightly.
    I've also seen cuttings rooted in water, but haven't managed to replicate it myself. I think the key is to keep a constant temp of around 25C and high humidity, but it's just my speculation.

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Sbrow, don't feel bad. I tryed many to get one rooted. 90% will rot....so try again..

Marie

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm well ive had great success at rooting franjis...but ive tried rooting adeniums in dry soil, rooting in wet soil, rooting in soil that i mist every now and again. Ive tried big cuttings and small cuttings. Ones with no leaves and ones with leaves. I have had some rot but others just seem to look water starved and just shrivel up. Rooting leaves now thats a new one. Quite interesting...and that newspaper rooting looks interesting Kirk. is that with dry or wet newspaper in a sunny spot or dark or shady spot?

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Not sure but I'd speculate that the newspaper is slightly damp. I don't think the light level would matter being the newspaper would keep the roots dark until you saw them poking out. I'm thinking of trying this on a royal poinciana that I want to move to a different location to make room for more sun for my adeniums.

Kirk