Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emilyb1987

Desert Rose leaves turn brown and fall off

EmilyB1987
10 years ago

Hello! I've found all kinds of helpful information on the forum, but am having some houseplant problems that I haven't been able to find a precise answer to. I purchased a desert rose plant from Walmart last week. I placed it in my office, which unfortunately, is on the north side of the building. The plant still gets some measure of sunlight throughout the day (more light than it was getting at walmart) and the temperature hovers pretty steadily around 70 F. Last Friday I watered the plant and left for the weekend. When I returned today, all of its leaves had turned brown and were falling off! Only a few young sprouting leaves remain, along with a flower that looks like it's about to bloom.
After cleaning up the mess of leaves, I repotted the desert rose in proper soil - Miracle Gro cactus soil mixed with gravel and sand, and gave it a thorough soaking with lukewarm distilled water and a bit of Superthrive. I made absolutely sure to empty out the drip saucer.

The 'trunk' and stems of my desert rose are still firm, and the roots appeared healthy when I repotted it. Do you think it will bounce back? Is there something I can do to save it?

Comments (3)