Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcharles_gw

True Socotranum Seedlings (2014)

Potting up a bunch of Adenium Seedlings this weekend.
These are my True Socotranum Seedlings. Neat to see that the majority of the roots are growing horizontally rather than vertical as many of the obesums' grow.
Rick

Comments (15)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another photo of them potted up. Got to get my imgur acct. working to upload more photo's in one thread.
    Rick

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Rick, those fatties look fit to burst, lol!! Really healthy too, it will be good to follow their progress as time goes bye. Are the 3 tall ones Somalense by any chance?

Gill UK

• Desirai
    9 years ago

they are so cute and fat!

• Pagan
    9 years ago

wow, Rick. Those are gorgeous, perfect little things! i hope you'll keep this thread periodically updated as they grow.

pagan

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

Great looking seedlings Rick!! How old are these?

Mark

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gill, Those are Somalense seedlings (seed from NRSundaram) and it is the third set of seeds of Somalense I have started. The first two sets of seed did not show the true leaf type, but these (the third set) are showing true to leaf.
    I hope all is well in the UK, Gill.

Mark, Believe it or not, these where started on Sept 10, 2013. They are now seven months of age. Very slow and possibly would grow faster in different conditions. I do not know.

I enjoy starting these different species/hybrids etc., but when I pot up a bunch of seedlings as I did this past weekend. I am always wishing that I could share them with people of this group. I end up with so many and I start each type in a communal pot. One pot sometimes has 10 seedlings. Makes for a lot when done.

The Socotranum seeds came from Ken Wall (Florida)
    Thank you all,
    Rick

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Rick, everything is good over here thanks, including the weather!! Been in very high teens for last few days but with chilly nights, and my DR's are doing fine. Thought they were Somalense, mine are also tall and skinny.
    Gill UK

This post was edited by greenclaws on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 18:52

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

Rick, they seem to be growing very well for 7 months. I've never grown A. socotranum, but have heard they are slow. Can't wait too see an update!

Mark

• roma0904
    9 years ago

Rick

Real nice seedlings, they are doing real nice, much better than mine that are in "better weather"
    Can you accelerate the growth rate using artificial lights?
    Do you have a good supplier for somalense seeds?

Roberto

• Houndhome
    9 years ago

These look great! Gives me some inspiration!

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you.

Roberto, I have had them under grow lights (just these) only for 6hrs./day just to extend daytime hours. Now they are transplanted into own pots and receiving no artificial light.

I have received seeds for Somalense from a few people, but the ones that are showing true characteristics from what I have seen are the seeds from
    Sundaram.
    You could contact him and ask. Very personable gentleman.
    Abena Adeniums nursery (India)
    Or on Facebook. NRSundaram
    Rick

• roma0904
    9 years ago

Thanks rick
    The question about the light was because i use artificial lighting too but they dont get fat they grow long, I have a 6 month old one that is like 40 cm long but very skinny,and its from my own seeds so I know the parents are not that skinny, maybe ive used it too much
    Roberto

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi Rick!!!

Looking awesome!!!

Laura

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Laura,
    My Montrose 'above the clouds' seedlings (trade name, have to be there) from you are doing very well. Will post a photo soon.

Roberto,
    I am of the mind set, that these Arabicums, obesum, etc. will all have there own characteristics no matter what the parentage shows.
    Many experienced growers for decades of growing Adeniums have said that not all Arabicum seedlings will show short fat seedlings early on.
    These True Socotranum seedlings are some of the first that I have had that did not grow tall.
    I keep my lights on only for 6hrs. starting in Nov. just to extend daylight hours. They are set 2-3" from top of plants and moved up as they grow.
    I believe that if we are giving very good light and not feeding with high nitrogen fertilizer, sufficient heat and they grow tall, then it is ment to be in their genetics.

Is the 40 cm plant a T. Socotranum?
    Mike from this site has had very good results and I believe it is because of the seeds he has, not necessarily the growing conditions he applies.
    Rick

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

Rick,

Your True Socotranum seedlings are truly amazing. I try to read the forum daily and keep coming back to the photos you've posted of them. They are so adorable. They truly do look like they are ready to burst open. I cannot wait to see what they will produce in the next couple years.

Nice job on growing them on.

Sponsored
Advice Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Full Service General Contracting & Design Firm in Northern Virginia