Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

Watermark Your Pictures!

elucas101
10 years ago

Unfortunately, I believe this ebay seller has stolen Laura's picture for their own use, what do you think? I contacted Laura and also sent the seller an email.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADENIUM-OBESUM-DESERT-ROSE-MEOW-5-SEEDS-AL1985SC-IMPALA-LILY-KUDU-/330911624204?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D7142768322516667604%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D330911624204%26

I also recently found a seller using someone's plumeria photos without permission to sell, I'm sure, an inferior product at a higher price. Consider watermarking your nice photos. Oh, and just one more seller to block! haha!

Comments (29)

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Elucas, that is wrong, the seller hope to get better price with the picture of Laura's plant.
    I am with you.
    We all should contact the seller and let he/she know that is wrong.
    Marie

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

If you're ever curious to see where all your pictures are being used on the internet you can check through google.

First, go to google.com and then click on images. From your computer click and drag the image you want to check on into the google website. It will then do a search and pull up all images that look like it or close to it. From there you can see where that particular image is being used.

I did this for Laura's image. Link is below.

Kirk

Here is a link that might be useful: Google dot com / images section

• kayjones
    10 years ago

I can't seem to get it to work.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Emily,

You are so nice to have seen this and contact me. This is not my Adenium, but i do think i know who owns this one. I was planning to get in touch with her by email this evening and send her your link. You are so sweet to see this and contact me.

I have seen other pictures of my Plumerias on a website and i KNOW they are mine. This site was a collage of pictures and im sure they pulled them from this forum and or they get into the Photobucket account and pull what they want. This is one reason why i consider to lock my account and not keep it open to the public.

I agree, this is not right and i have tried to watermark my new pictures. One picture that comes to mind is one of my Saigon Moon blooms that i received as a cutting (gift) from Bud Guillot. He took my pic because he liked it so much and watermarked it for me with my name and where i live. It seems this can be done with Photobucket and i have been trying to get this straight. Another friend from Florida (Don) does lots of labeling of everyone's pics for them. I just haven't been able to master this like them.

Good to keep an eye out for these scammers and get the word out to others..

Thank you so much for letting me know...

You are a sweetheart!! ;-)

Laura

• Pagan
    10 years ago

is that the same plant as the one on the front page of Adenium Forum?

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Fakechuchi, yes that is the plant.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marie, I agree, there is so much of the picture stealing going on, it's frustrating and wrong. I see it with the plumeria a lot too.

Kirk - that's crazy, I never knew that!!! OMG, and look how many times that picture has been used...wow. Thanks for sharing that!!

Laura, you are more than welcome! Thank you for your kind post, you are so sweet. I feel like the GW forums are such a good place for info, it is important to let others and especially newbies know who is a reputable seller - even I look here for people's recommendadtions because it is so hard to know who is honest.

Many of you have very nice photos that should be protected!

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Unfortunately to keep people from stealing pictures you practically have to mark the photo right across the main subject since people can often photoshop your marks if they are not obscuring the main subject of the photo.

I recently started to mark my photos. Well, ones I particularly care about that are worth every bit of protecting. Like my sunrise shots from last Christmas on the beach. And perhaps some of my spectacular flower shots. I'm not going to go back and repost pictures with the marks though. At least I have the originals to back up my claims should anything arise in the future of my works. Both my old camera and my new one puts all kinds of info on the original shots. Like owner info (my name), iso/apature info, shutter speed, time & date shot, and other camera settings.

Kirk

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Wow!! Thanks Kirk!! When I clicked on the google link you provided I found several of my DR's pictures on there and one of mine being used on this link,lol...

This picture from this site is MY Desert Rose...

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Rose Plant Care

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

I had seen that link. LOL I've seen that pic on pinterest as well. At least with pinterest if someone wants to know the origins of the picture it can show where it was pinned from. :)

In a way, pug, it's awesome to be honored so many people appreciate your picture. It's just sad some are using it for wrong reasons or to rip people off.

Kirk

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi Nancy, yes I too recognised my all time fav DR, that's real bad of them to do that without your knowing/permission. Just to clarify folks, I did ask Nancy for her permission to add her pic as the banner illustration here on the forum, I would never have done something like that without asking!! Some people though, sigh.
    Gill, UK.

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Dear Pug,

When my sister and I first discovered adeniums, the picture of your plant was the one we stared at the longest. Water storage isn't really something tropical plants normally do so we'd never seen the likes of it before. Plant weirdness is channeled instead to other bizarreness, i.e. pitchers, snapping vines, barf-inducing stench, floral hysteria, etc. Orchids are so common and boring they interest me now only when viewed under UV light.

But adenium cultivation is a different universe altogether, we are just finding out. Your plant, in particular, was so WTF-inducing (pardon my french) that right in the middle of that conversation I ended up buying seeds. Now we are both growing seedlings and this with absolutely NO prior experience with plants whatsoever (other than meeting them in salads and stews).

I think it is too late now to stop people from "borrowing" that photo, especially since the same plant was also used in the forum's front page. That would make it easier for most people to assume that they can freely use it.

Instead, I urge you to go to wikipedia and put that one photo in the wikimedia commons where it can be labeled with the proper information and credit that you and your plant so richly deserve.

Pagan

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!!

Kirk, I really am honored that its used in several post...so its fine. As long as people are not being mis-led or told it is theirs,lol...

Gill, I'm still very honored to you and GW for posting my picture as the heading for this forum. I know and never occured to me that you would ever do it without my permission...I thank you for suggesting mine!!

Pagan, thanks for the kind words...I'm not sure how to proceed with wikipedia/wikimedia website...but I might look into it...thanks!

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another violation of our members photos - I have confirmed with Laura this is her photo being used without her permission. A seller I will avoid, for sure.

They even had the nerve to put their name all over it!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLUMERIA-CUTTING-POPS-1-3-tips-12-22-Deep-Red-CINNAMON-SCENT-MAUI-/370802880120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item565592ee78#ht_2929wt_1398

AAARRGHHHHH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Listing with photo used without permission!

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Crazy. At least I see the lady this whole thread was originally about has changed the photos. Wonder who's picture that belongs to. Who ever it does belong to it's being used on way many more places than Pug's was being used.

Kirk

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I'm glad the one this was originally about was taken down. I sent them an email letting them know I was going to alert the owner so they could report it to ebay...

The newer one is really surprising because it's not the picture of the flower that's shocking, it's the other one that is a picture of Laura's greenhouse that is most surprising!!! I'm not looking for these, I just happen to look at the listings a lot and happened to recognize the photos.

If nothing else it just keeps me away from these sellers!

10 years ago

Emily found another one...

I am so angry about this one...

This is a pic of my greenhouse that i am 100% positive is mine. Right down to the screens my DH made me!!!

Never knew that Virginia is close to Maui?

Thank you Emily for bringing my attention to this one as well...

Wanted to share the link.. you might wwant to think twice before using someone that would take your pic, label it theirs and post...

Grrr....

Here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLUMERIA-CUTTING-POPS-1-3-tips-12-22-Deep-Red-CINNAMON-SCENT-MAUI-/370802880120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item565592ee78#ht_2929wt_1398

Here is the pic that they are using and labeled as their own... This is MY PIC!!!
    {{gwi:43332}}

Take care,

Laura

• Pagan
    10 years ago

You know, you guys could also make some kind of signage (like "Laura, Virginia USA" or even "Beware, photo thieves!") that you can move around and put near your plant when you take photos of them, preferably on a spot that can not be easily cropped. An obsessed Photoshop user who has read the manual at least once can still edit it out of the photo but it will be so much trouble, it might just be enough to discourage nefarious individuals from stealing outright and effortlessly.

Hastily-made example

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

LOL Love the "Your magnetic lasso is invalid" statement! It made my inner nerd squeal with glee.

Kirk

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

That is unbelievable. I would not have a problem with someone using one of my photos as long as they just give me credit for the photos. BUT...to just use for their own personal gain is mind boggling. If they are selling those items, it is hard to believe they do not have photos of their own? hmmmmm Crazy!

10 years ago

LOL.. Love the sign too!!!

I guess i will start watermarking my pics.. What a shame eh?

You are right Lady, If they are selling an item... let them take a pic of their own products.. I found out that the other pic in this listing ws taken from JJ's nursery in CA. He has a beautiful nursery and sells alot of Plumeria.

GOOD NEWS.....

This seller has taken down the pics.. I emailed them and told them that they are using my pic without my permission. I also reported them to Ebay.

Glad Emily has a keen eye!! Thank you again, Emily...

You are an angel. Love that you have our backs...

Laura

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are so very welcome Fakechuchi, love the sign! It is tricky to watermark and still leave the picture enjoyable, but I think we're going to have to in order to cut down on some of the theft.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Nancy, I recently wrote about my DR's on another forum I use, the European Palm Society. One member replied along with a pic of his own plant and his fav DR...it was your pic, the one on the home page!! However, he did state that it wasn't his. I will PM him and ask him where he found it and get back to you.
    Gill, UK.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Gil!! You and Laura (and others) having my back about
    my picture is appreciated! LMK what you find out...I don't mind people using my picture as long as they say it is NOT theirs,lol...

I tip pruned mine several weeks ago...so I lost many buds. I took this picture today...

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

For losing a few buds it's still amazing! I can't wait until I have one this size. But then maybe I can since I'll have to haul them into the garage during the winter. LOL

Kirk

• Pagan
    10 years ago

The top looks better after the prune, though. The trunk, of course, is unbeatable.

Pagan

10 years ago

Hi Nancy!!

She is breathtaking!!!

I just can't believe the beauty...simply gorgeous!

BRAVO!!!

Hopefully, one day.. ;-)

Have a wonderful evening!!!

Laura

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Hi, Nancy, it is good to see you here on the forum. Please visit us often. Your plant looks beautiful.....
    Florida's weather is good to your plant.

We miss you on adenium forum.
    Marie

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks SO much Kirk, Pagan, Laura and Marie...very nice of you guys :o)

I'll try and pop in from time to time...I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to DRs...having only one I really got lucky with this one,lol...

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County