Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kodom087

A little field trip yesterday

kodom087 z9a
11 years ago

A bit of a long read. Sorry. Just excited!

So, yesterday, after a very late lunch a friend and I went to a nursery some other friends told us about a year ago which also turns out to be one that Marie had told me about for adeniums. Let me just say how dangerous a place Joseph's Nursery is. It's very very dangerous for anyone with any kind of plant addiction! Good thing I got there 15 minutes before they closed so I didn't have a lot of time to look around. I only got to look at maybe 1/8th of the place. Because after seeing Pagan's (fakechuchi) haworthia collection there was one I wanted to look for. I missed out, unfortunately. Or maybe fortunately looking at my semi empty wallet.

They had huge adeniums in bloom decorating the checkout area. Then huge adeniums on the end caps of a lot of the isles where all the plants are out in the open area. All pinks though. And well, very very pricey. Then I stumbled onto the isle with the $12-15 adeniums. WOOHOO! They may be small but they're grafted and are named varieties. Of course I'm guessing it's still a bit of the "off" season for them as they didn't have tons of them but they had plenty to choose from. And most had blooms about to open and only a few of the small ones had some already open so you could see what they were. Here are some pics of what I snagged for myself blowing part of my budget from when I go to my sister's for a couple of weeks down in Port Aransas for the Texas SandFest (amazing annual sand sculpture contest) around April 28th. OOPS! Oh, and the caudex on these are nothing to brag about until I see what's below the dirt at some point. Just saying.

Luang Siam Yellow
{{gwi:341953}}
{{gwi:341954}}

Supposed to be Purple Rose.
{{gwi:341955}}

No tag but guessing Amazing Thailand since it looks like one of Marie's. Snagged this one for my sister when I texted her a picture of it and she told me to grab it.
{{gwi:341957}}

No tag but probably a pink. I snagged because the caudex has a lot of potential and had to make up for the lackluster caudex on the others.
{{gwi:341958}}

I think I was forbidden to go to that nursery ever again. Doesn't matter. At least, now, when my seedlings are a bit older I have some graft root stock ready and have some nifty new varieties to take scions from. They are a bit leggy so pruning will be taking place at some point. They are in desperate need of shaping. Also, more pics later as the blooms open up.

Kirk
*Edited name of one of the DR's. Thought it was Purple Rain. It's Purple Rose.

This post was edited by kodom087 on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 11:31

Comments (23)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Good finds Kirk. It must have been like a child in a candy shop.
    Seeing all of those amazing plants. It would be hard not to fill a cart albeit you would have to have the wallet to do so.
    We have a Cactus & Succulent nursery about an 1hrs. drive from us and although he does not have much in the way of Adeniums, bummer. It is almost too much to take in. I have been twice and never left empty handed.
    Keep the photo's coming.
    Glad you had the opportunity to take this in.
    Rick

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Rick!

Yes, it was almost too much to take in. It was hard to narrow down some picks in only 10 minutes I had to actually look through them before the place closed. So I didn't get a good chance to scrutinize them for shape and form. But hey! At least I got some (colors) I kind of have been wanting and can always graft to better caudex's (caudi? caudici?) in the future, right?
    If my sister comes to town next week to pick up her boyfriend from being offshore she'll probably want me to take her to the nursery. I'll have to leave my wallet at home but I know that's not going to happen!

Kirk

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Some good finds there Kirk, and they should do well for you. It will be interesting to see the pics when the flowers have opened out more, so we will look forward to more shots soon. The underground parts can hold many surprises so who knows what you may find!

On a slightly different note, I mentioned on the forum that I had contacted Gweb a several days ago (not heard anything yet though apart from a request to link an example for them to view) about posts extending over to the right hand side of the page when they go over the ads text and in some cases the post disappears 'under' a picture making reading them nigh on impossible. Yours appears to have done the same...does it appear to do that on your 'puter? I tried clicking onto the browser bar and using ctrl - + as you suggested earlier Kirk....but nothing happened?? It's me I'm sure, lol!
    Gill from the UK.

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello, Gill and thanks! More pictures will be on the way as they open.

On your side note: It's not doing that for me at all. Not sure what that issue could be. I did the press and hold ctrl + (also can hold ctrl down while scrolling mouse wheel to do same thing) and still can't get the picture/text issue you're talking about. While it sounds like it could be a browser issue it could be something on their end. Hopefully you'll get a response soon.

Kirk

• averil
    11 years ago

Kirk, I am so jealous. They are lovely. I've never seen adeniumrose in the shops here
    Averil uk

• nearpass
    11 years ago

Regarding the side note about text, I have no issues using Chrome browser. Everything looks perfect, and I have an ad block extension, so get no ads about anything.

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Kirk.....great find ....you loved Joseph don't you? It is good nursery.
    As for me, I promised to my friends that I will NOT buy anymore this year until I move into a house with bigger backyard. Last Saturday, one of my girlfriend went to Joseph, she called me to see if I want any DR, I said, no, but she got one for me anyway. Her brother works there, so I know she got a big discount from the owner.

She gave it to me, this morning, I saw the bloom opened and took these pictures. It is named Hassadee Pink.

You was right about the name of one of the bloom. It is Amazing Thailand

{{gwi:341959}}

{{gwi:341960}}

{{gwi:341962}}

{{gwi:341964}}

The plant is very small, so I used 3 small sticks to hold them up.

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's a pretty pink one, Marie! I really like the shape of the petals and form of the flower.

Yes, I fell in love with Joseph's. Again, thank you for that suggestion! I can't wait to go back and spend some time going through the whole place if I can tear myself away from the adeniums, that is. I'd love to take my camera and go around taking pics of all the big ones they have. Those had amazing caudex and root structures.

While I'm not particularly fond of white flowers because how ugly they get so quickly there was a variegated double or triple white they had that looked good. I was hoping to find a Black Fire or Blue Spirit but just didn't have time to look through all the tags.

I'll be sure to tag that Amazing Thailand for my sister although I'm growing quite attached to it. I just keep telling myself I'll get a chance to get grafts from it. LOL

Kirk

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Kirk, Joseph doesn't have Black Fire or Blue Spirit.
    The bigger caudexes they had only single flower. Notting special for me since I had many big caudex.
    You should get a white one named (White Angle) it it very pretty and it last a long time, not only pretty, it is heavy bloom also. I got one from there. It's still very small to use for scions this year.
    Marie

• MRI_Guy
    11 years ago

Wow Kirk - those flowers are Gorgeous! You hit the jackpot on that field trip, I so wish there was a nursery around here that carried that many varieties. Hey, that sounds like opportunity knocking!

Scott

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When I get to go back I'll keep my eye out for a White Angle. Thanks for the info!

Thanks, Scott. I would probably have had sensory overload if all of the blooms were open on the ones they had. :)

Kirk

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Kirk, this is White Angel. It bloomed like crazy even though the plant still very small.
    Marie

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marie, that's a white I could easily love! Love the rippled edges. You've convinced me to eventually add that one to my growing collection. And to think I only had that one big pink one last year when I started lurking in this forum. Now I'm up to four named grafted DR's. Five if for some reason the Amazing Thailand doesn't make it to my sister's house for some unknown greedy reason. *grin*

Kirk

• Pagan
    11 years ago

Marie, that is possibly the best adenium flower i've seen so far, especially how it contrasts with the healthy dark leaves of your plant. Argh. the word "adenium" sounds way too much like "addendum".

Pagan

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Kirk,

Great plants you found. I would love to have a place nearby that I could by named variety of adenium. I've been considering ordering online but I'm so interested in the caudex that I think I might be disappointed if it was not what I had in mind. Although I have plenty of seedlings I could graft on too. That is a GREAT idea. I do a lot of conifer grafting so know how to graft.

I hope you get to go back...take your time and find more awesome plants. Good luck...enjoy your plants and please send photos when they blooms open.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

That white Marie, is truly a pure flower. It's funny I like white but in many of the other plants that I have here as perennials I tend to stray from white as I do not like what happens when they get rained on. All brown.
    In the case of the Adeniums I would have to eliminate my thoughts of not pursuing one. Thanks for that.

Kirk, I think just maybe the 'white angel' and many,many many more are going to find there way into your care. Sound about right. Good on you.
    Have fun doing so.
    Rick

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was at Home Depot today for some cheap dowel rods to steak up some of my DR's. I decided to take a quick walk though the garden center and they have about twelve large adeniums that looked about 2-4 years old. Seed grown, typical pink/white and some were more red/white. Good size caudex that I'd be dieing to see what the roots underneath looked like. Amazing branches too.
    I had to pass since my sister will be passing through town in a couple days and wants me to take her out to Joseph's Nursery. I wonder if I can sweet talk her into buying me that White Angel that Marie told us about. My obsession has kicked into major over drive. This site is full of enablers! LOL

Kirk

• Junglajungle
    11 years ago

Beautifull finds!! Love the colors. Thanks for sharing.
    Ariana

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Go for it Kirk......
    Small one only cost $12.99
    Marie

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still waiting on my Purple Rose to open as well as my Luang Siam Yellow. Driving me crazy with the wait. But any day now.

Here's a Purple Rose that opened that I had picked up for my sister. The flower buds are smaller than mine and looks like the petals are a little more pointed and jagged than what mine will be.
    {{gwi:341967}}

Marie commented on the flower in the background of my seedlings picture on my seedling thread so I thought I'd post this update on that particular DR. Here's a pic I found on the internet of the Hassadee Red.
    {{gwi:341969}}

What my Hassedee Red looked like the day it opened.
    {{gwi:341971}}

What my Hassadee Red looked like after a couple of days. The blue edging faded way too quickly.
    {{gwi:341972}}

It seems to be getting a darker magenta red the older it gets. I'll have to get a picture when the next bloom opens to show the difference. I was hoping the red would have been a more vibrant red. But I still like it.

Kirk

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Kirk, as your plants get older and the branches are stronger, you will get better blooms. The stronger the roots system, the better it blooms.
    They are still very pretty right now, but couple more years they will look totally better.

Marie

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Kirk, your plants are gorgeous. I cannot wait until mine start blooming. Mine are just now putting leaves on. I'm enjoying your photos.

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Marie. Patience isn't one of my best attributes when it involves things I am excited for. :)

Thanks Ladylotus. More photos to come in the near future.

Kirk