Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My adenium sprouts are dying!

Posted by 54641210d none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 11:46

I checked on them this morning and a few were turning black, while one was completely black and mushy!

This one, under the big healthy one, you can clearly see how it's starting to turn black:

Here, circled in red, it's already completely black except for a bit of the stem, which was mush when I touched it:

And these two were in different cups but look to be in the same situation!

What do I do? I've watered them twice a day and they're on a east facing window. It's been a bit cold out and yesterday my roommate left all the doors open while she was cleaning; could that be the reason why they're dying? They're sitting right next to a door.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My adenium sprouts are dying!

I'm certainly no authority, but it looks to me like they are rotting quickly, perhaps because of too much water and a not very gritty mix or good drainage. A cold draft could have made that even worse.

o

Nearpass, you are right.
54641210d , no water,the soil has to dry sligthly. You have to touch the soil ,if you feel it is slightly dry,then you water. Do you have holes on the bottom of the pot?

o

Yes there are holes on the bottom. I water them whenever the top soil begins to dry out (when I wake up in the AM), and again in the afternoon. I guess that's too much?

Can I save any of them? And how?

o

546, I hope they do well for you....
I am not sure of the reason....

o

Looks to me also to be a moisture issue. I would think watering twice daily might be a bit much unless you live in a very hot climate.
I prefer to have my seedling soil level to be 1/2 " at the most from the top of container to allow for good air flow. Those look in photo to be fairly low.
The moisture and cool temps without a lot of good sunlight will contribute to this issue.
Do not let this get you discouraged. Dry back a bit and keep warm. There is a lot of enjoyment growing these.
Rick

o

I saw a video on Youtube, and it appeared that the lady was sticking the seeds on end and pushing into the soil. I lay mine flat. Should they be put on end? Also, I am only having about a 60% success rate of growing them longer than one to two months. They either shrivel and die, or simply fall over with no root. Can anyone give me some pointers? Blessings, Stephen

o

Seeds can lay flat and if they fall over without roots,it is a fungus.
Next time use sterile soil and before sowing seeds ,water with fungicide.

o

Your potting mix seems very water retentive, and twice a day watering is definitely too much...
Also, as longaeva said, add fungicide to water at first.
Seeds should be laid flat unless you know exactly how they were oriented in the seed pod, in which case you'd know which side the root is on.

o

My initial (and only) watering of my soilless seed-starting mix is done using Actinovate Organic Fungicide. It works well for me and prevents the deadly "damping-off" fungus from starting. It is sometimes difficult to keep fungus from forming in a high humidity seed germinator environment, but using sterilized seed starter mix and fungicide works for me.

Scott

o

Thanks guys. I'll look into the fungicide. At first I planted them in a mix of perlite and cactus soil (50/50) but the water drained out so quickly, I thought the seedlings weren't getting enough! So I switched to 100% cactus soil and watered more. A rookie mistake on my part.

And I keep forgetting to leave my name at the end!

Josette

o

I found out why my sprouts were dying. I didn't sterilize the soil before planting and the sprouts were infected. When I touched them, they were squishy and many of them had green tops but brown stems. According to Kalachuchi's experience, it was fungal growth (under "Disaster"). Mystery solved!

-Josette

Here is a link that might be useful: Kalachuchi's Adenium post

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here