Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kodom087

Catching up

kodom087 z9a
10 years ago

Had a long weekend down in Port Aransas, Texas for SandFest visiting my sister. Lots of great sand sculptures (link to be posted later), bird watching from my sister's decks around her house and of course some pretty plants blooming around the island.

Anyway, here's some pics of her two desert roses.

Her newly acquired purchase that she didn't pick one up for me from the Corpus Cristi Botanical Garden sale two weekends ago. *sad face* Looks to be an arabicum/somalense cross She sent it home with me to start training the branches for her. She may not ever get it back! LOL
{{gwi:342065}}

Her obesum she got last year at the Corpus Cristi Botanical Garden sale. I bare rooted to repot. Found only very little bit of rot on the tip of the tap root (that was never cut off). I always thought her's was rooted from cutting until this weekend when I started the repot project.
{{gwi:342067}}
{{gwi:342069}}
{{gwi:342071}}

Repotted with dirt mound up around the DR. Told her how to care for it and water it for the next couple of months. Eventually the dirt mound will wash down slowly exposing the roots/caudex without sunburn (I hope) eventually exposing about 2 inches total. Next year more exposure in the repot.
{{gwi:342072}}
{{gwi:342073}}

Just for fun, her back porch with some Baltimore Oriole and Red Breasted Grosbeak hanging out under her Fuschia plant. You only see two here but there were always about 20-30 hanging around fighting over the fruit.
{{gwi:342074}}

Kirk

Comments (5)

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also while I was gone Houston had a major rain and hail storm. I was worried my adeniums may have got beat up in my absence since I saw on the news flooded streets with rivers of hail flowing like massive amounts of ping pong balls around the Reliant Stadium. I'm only about 5 or so miles South from there. Luckily a neighbor told me that we only got some rain and that the hail missed our neighborhood. I'm glad I did decide to put my seedlings in the house in a window as a "just in case" moment.

Here's a couple of pics of what bloomed while I was gone. Sorry the flowers may look a tad ugly. That's just from getting heavily rained on with some wind whipping.

First pic. My Purple Rose finally opened up. I was worried as most of the buds never opened and would just drop off.
    {{gwi:342075}}

Second pic. More of my Hassadee Red opened while I was gone. Also got beat up by the storm.
    {{gwi:342076}}

Kirk

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Kirk, your purple rose are beautiful. Hassadee Red will be when the weather gets warmer.
    Marie

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Marie. Hope your plants didn't get damaged in the hail storm Saturday night.

Kirk

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Too wet in my back yard, I stayed inside and didn't check.
    I will after work today.

Marie

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This comment post is off topic but as I said earlier in this thread...down below is a link to some pictures of the SandFest sand sculptures I saw this weekend. I didn't stay long enough to see the completed works but they were near completion when I took my pictures. Weather was kind of bad down there. These pictures are after a night of a lot of rain. How non of them got damaged I really don't know but glad they didn't.

If you move your mouse over the picture during slide show a menu will pop up. You can pause, go forward or backward if you like. If you hit the "x" button it will take you to a thumbnail view of pictures. Keep clicking on a picture to enlarge. Or hit the arrow button at top to get back to slide show. Also while in thumbnail view at the top you'll see a "Enjoy.
    Kirk

Here is a link that might be useful: Port Aransas SandFest