Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

1 Year Old Seedlings

elucas101
11 years ago

Hello everyone! I apologize for not posting in so long, but I still lurk here often! I have been meaning to give you all an update on my seedlings you so kindly helped me learn to grow last year. I kept them under grow lights during the winter. I lost a few but about 24 made it to their first birthday!

I have some Arabicum and some Obesum. I have a few in each shot so I could show them all to you! Some look a little rough as they are just coming out of winter but you can see the branching and body better that way.

{{gwi:342133}}

Some were pruned a while back, some have not been pruned at all. Several of them have some impressive branching - I didn't do anything to them as far as pinching or anything, they did this by themselves. here's one of my fullest - never even lost its leaves and it's so dense you can't even tell how many there are!
{{gwi:342134}}

{{gwi:342135}}

{{gwi:342136}}

{{gwi:342137}}

Close up
{{gwi:342138}}

2 oddballs that do not match their siblings and I suspect may be somalense?
{{gwi:342139}}

I just wanted to share the joy of my seedlings and thank you all so much for always being so helpful and kind. I have a few other pics to post of some beheadings, er pruning I did...LOL!!!

Comments (31)

• User
    11 years ago

Hi,
    Looking good ! They should really gain some size with the whole growing season in front of them. Keep us updated and happy growing.

Brian UK.

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

They all look amazing!

Kirk

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Brian and Kirk!!! I'm really excited to see how much they grow this season. They have grown so much from just being tiny little sprouts. They're so easy to take care of, I'm probably not going to be able to resist starting some more!

• averil
    11 years ago

Super looking plants you have there. All interesting shapes and sizes. Congrats. Mine are coming up for a year old and yours are slightly bigger
    Averil uk

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hi there, you have some really great looking seedlings there with good growth rates in a year...I hope mine do as well!
    Gill UK.

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Elucas,

What a green thumb you have. Your plants look fantastic. For 1 year old plants they really do have a lot of girth on them. You really can identify the Arabicums. Thanks for sharing your photos.

My plants do not grow that fast in this dreaded short summered state. ha ha

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Averil! Yes I got quite a mixed bunch there don't I?! HAHA! I'm anxious to see how they develop. Have you posted recent pictures of your seedlings? I would love to see them!

Thanks Gill, I know you have a knack for seedlings too, I hope yours really thrive for you this year. Do you fertilize your seedlings? Mine seem to benefit from it just like the big ones.

Ladylotus, thank you! I just love Arabiucum, even as seedlings they are so fun. I love their shape and characteristics. It's funny because I can't grow a lot of things but plumeria and adenium are right up my alley! LOL! Do you have a grow light for the winter or do you just use available sunlight?

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Elucas, you have great looking seedlings. Only one year, but they are very big already.
    Marie

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Elucas, I do have what are called shop lights in there. But I don't use them much. I just let the natural light in. Right now things are taking off like gangbusters.

I would like to post some photos but the way I used to post them does not allow for more than one photo and I have to have them on my computer. How are you posting your photos? (anyone)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Elucas, yes I do fertilise all my DR's. I use whatever I have to hand which is currently an African Violet fert which I use weekly and on the first weekend of the month I use plain water...really liberally till it floods out of the pots to wash any excess fert salts out. Then I drain them and return to the gravel filled trays they live on.

Ladylotus, Imgur is a good free site to use, its easy to load your pics to it then copy and paste multiple pics in here.
    Gill UK.

This post was edited by greenclaws on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 17:49

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Thanks Gill, I use Shutterfly and used to be able to paste my photos into the post but it did not work in another forum for me.

Let me try this...If a photo appears these are some of my babies (obesums)
    {{gwi:342140}}

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

That is odd...I am using this:

and then saving the location from shutterfly in between the = and >. It shows up in my preview? Any ideas. Perhaps I should start a new thread so I don't rudely interrupt this elucas beautiful seedling thread.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No worries ladylotus - for Garden Web forums use the HTML code instead of the IMG code. Just copy the HTML code and then paste it in to the body of your message. Then when you preview your message before submitting, you should see your pictures in there. Just let us know if you're still having trouble, we wanna see those babies!

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marie, thank you so much! I hope they get much bigger and stronger this season! The cold weather should be gone for good now I hope!

Gill, good you are fertilizing the seedlings in my opinion - some people refrain from it but I think they handle it well and no doubt helps to make them stronger. I also give them pretty much the same sunlight as the adults, they can handle it, no need to baby them.

Ladylotus, hats off to you for pulling this off in a challenging climate! If you ever do decide to get a grow light for the darker winters they are becoming very affordable and do not enit a lot of heat like the older ones.

• User
    11 years ago

Hi all,
    All this talk about seedlings and latest aquisitions prompted me count up my own stock. My collection has now ballooned to 131 as of yesterday !!!! This figure includes my old faithfulls right down to the latest seedlings. I'm sure lots of you good people are in the same situation. How will I house them as they get bigger ? Does nature find a way ? More are popping up on a regular basis. Here is a picture of my biggest plant accompanied by the latest seedling.

Brian UK.

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Elucas, I think Gill has it even worse than I do. I read in one of her posts that she rarely sees temperatures over 85 deg F.

I really should invest in some grow lights for my greenhouse instead of the fluorescent lights I have. I mostly keep things alive until spring when I start my seedlings, cuttings and graft conifers.

I started more arabicums, some somalense and socotranum. I've never grown the latter two before and am impressed at the quick growth the are showing. This is such a fun hobby. I love coming on and reading all your comments and seeing your lovely photos. Thank you for sharing.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brian, very nice plant! I love the contrast of the older one and the tiny little baby in the same picture - it's almost as if the bigger one is its guardian! They do tend to multiply quickly, don't they?! I have a plumeria problem too, so space is certainly at a premium...haha!

ladylotus I agree - they are so much fun! I'm thinking of buying some more seeds too because they are so rewarding. I haven't tried to somalense or socotranum, I look forward to seeing what they are doing for you!!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Brian, when will you be moving to a larger house then? Seems like you have quite a collection going on, they are very addictive aren't they? I recall promising myself on several occasions that I would not try another batch of seeds, but hey-ho! I have 25 in total...the 3 older ones and 22 babies but 2 of the seedlings are a very fetching shade of lemon. I of them has only ever produced a single seed leaf, so I think my tally will soon be 23!!
    Ladylotus...are your socotranums the Thai variety or have you been able to get hold of some true socos? Either way we will all be interested in seeing how they progress.
    So, here are my seedlings so far...certainly not as impressive as those above, but they'll do for me!
    2xNOID obesums and named hybrid obesums
    {{gwi:342141}}

The larger 2xNOID obesums are 2yrs old and the rest ( arabicums and somalense) were sown at the beginning of March. It's easy to see which the arabicums are, they are really strong.
    {{gwi:342142}}

Here are the 2 that are very yellow, I can't get them to green up at all. I think the left hand one will survive, but the weakling on the rigt has still only managed its single yellow seed leaf.
    {{gwi:342143}}
    Gill UK.

This post was edited by greenclaws on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 17:55

• MRI_Guy
    11 years ago

Great looking "children" Gill!

Scott

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Those are looking so good Gill. You will get some nice growth on them this spring and summer. Your Saturn's look better than mine.
    Look forward to seeing them grow.
    Have you ever dealt with Plumeria2U . I believe they are out of the UK?
    Rick

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Gill, your full time job is coming soon......
    Anyway, your babies are looking great.....
    Marie

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gill your seedlings look GREAT! They are potted up so nicely too. Those Arabicum sure are noticeably strong looking, love them!

I too have noticed that when a seedling stalls like the little lemon they do not typically recover. The big lemon looks promising though! And I'm also interested to know, where do you source your seeds?

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Wow! Look at all those baby adeniums. Amazing!

Kirk

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have even more renewed excitement for my adenium babies - last night I decided to see if any of them needed to be potted up and so far I've found that they do!!! Because they don't appear to be filling the pot I was doubtful, but the roots are reaching the bottom and even looking a little bound.

I'll get some updated pictures, the 4 I have potted up look almost like different plants after being lifted just a little bit. The branchiest one, the obesum pictured above already has a very exciting shape to the caudex! The others are looking good too, I'm really looking forward to seeing what's below the soil on the others!

I have found growing these from seed to be very rewarding and because they are actually growing quickly there is something new to see and learn frequently which keeps them exciting.

I have a whole bunch of new seeds coming in the mail from Mr. Ko so I will start the next generation soon!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Emily, looking forward to seeing your pics...what type of seeds have you got coming? Can hardly wait to re-pot mine!
    Gill UK

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

I can't wait to see pictures too.
    Marie

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will try to take some pictures this weekend. I was able to look at / repot about 6 more last night and some are not quite ready to pot up so I did just lift them a tiny bit and they will stay in their same pots. Even though some are not very exciting looking, the fact that about half of them are looking like they could be something exciting is more than I had hoped.

Gill, since winning the Mr. Ko auctions can be a little tricky and the times they were ending were too late for me to stay up, I had to bid on more than I really needed to try and ensure I had a good bunch. I ended up winning more than I thought. All are 10 packs.

Arabicum Night Fork
    Cynthia x 2
    Arrogant
    Narcissus
    Star of Yellow Dream
    Arctic Snow
    Love Affair of Stars
    Flame of Love
    Mermaid
    Double Blush
    Red Vigiliant
    Excellent Lover

No, I had no idea I just ordered 130 seeds. Oh. My. God. LOL!

• teyo
    10 years ago

Hahah, more than 130 actually, since mr.Ko puts 15 seeds in every 10 pack ;)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Oooooerrrrrr! Looks like someone is going to be very busy?? Keep us posted on how they progress, you should have some real good results with that lot!
    Gill UK.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    10 years ago

teyo - you should have seen my face when I read your post!!! The seeds have arrived, however since there was no one home to sign for them I will have to go to the post office on Saturday to pick them up.

Gill - oh my goodness just thinking about planting all of those makes me feel faint LOL! Maybe I will have a contest to give some away...hmmmm... I am hopeful about some decent results since he has such a great reputation!

Here are a few pics I snapped of 3 of the best looking re-potted seedlings so far:
    I love this one! (obesum) It may be hard to see but it has the 'crossed legs with the round tummy' look! I wasn't sure if I should trim the scraggly roots or not so I left them for now, they kind of block the shape a bit in the pic.
    {{gwi:342144}}

Obesum:
    {{gwi:342145}}

Arabicum:
    {{gwi:342146}}

• tedb4
    10 years ago

Just a quick comment on Plumeria2U out of the UK - I bought seeds from them with no problem, but with 2 purchases of adeniums from David Clulow in the first shipment 2 out of 5 plants were rotting on arrival, and when Stuart, the owner eventually responded a couple of months later, he promised to replace them and I ordered 5 more plants because I was very happy with the 3 that did arrive, he said he sent them but never provided any mailing information and of course they never showed up. He has also stopped answering any emails...

I'm not the only one... see

http://goo.gl/ne0Ru

I can't post the actual link so this is a shortened version from google...

order with caution and please let me know if you want any specific details...

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH