Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seedlings stem turning brownish

Posted by Egr403 none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 13:00

Hi there Adenium lovers :)
I'm new here, so nice to E-meet you all :)
I'm Elad from Israel, and I'm a little bit concerned about my Adenium seedlings,
now a little under a month old, still sitting in their original sowing flats and starting to get full Israeli spring sun, but under a 50% shade net.
They're getting a daily watering (although sparingly, just for a little bit mist. the medium is getting dry really fast).

My concern is a brownish coloration some of them (just a few) are showing lately. not a positive sign, I'm afraid.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could share his opinion -
Too much sun?
it's getting around 25C at day and around 15C at night (some warmer nights I keep them out, some I take them in).

Photo attached. Hope it's clear enough.
Thanks Again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seedlings stem turning brownish

On the contrary, Elad--that is a very positive sign! Your seedlings are perfectly fine--that transition from bright sparkly green to sometimes reddish then to brown is normal. It happens when the skin on the trunk starts to mature.

Over-exposure to the sun normally shows up as a kind of blanching on the leaves. My sister grows them where daytime temperatures go up to around 36C, full sun, in high summer. I don't think that's even close to the extremes they have to put up with in the wild. I once felt 44C in Phoenix and that was very ouch!

Congrats, you'll have a forest of these things pretty soon.

Pagan

o
RE: seedlings stem turning brownish

Hi Pagan,
I'm terribly sorry for the late reply...
Thanks for your comment!
You are absolutely right, of course :)
My seedlings are now looking great, about a month and a half old, most have 2nd and 3rd set of leaves, and are ready to relocate soon to their new home out of the 2cm cup they're in now.
Will keep updating :)
Elad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here