Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
averil_gw

Class photo

averil
9 years ago

Hi folks these are a little group of some of my seedlings which are nearly two years old. I've just been tidying them up a bit and shortening some branches which is why they are so bald. There are leaves ready to sprout though. My fave is the one on the left. He is starting to grow a bum and two legs lol
Kind regards to all
Averil (uk)
Ps ... I really hope I may get a flower this year. Pleeeeeeeeeze just one! Ha ha

Comments (9)

• ginger9899
    9 years ago

They are gorgeous! Here's to blooms this year!

-Heather

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

averil,
    Those look so nice. What a wonderful job on growing them. Nice branching and will be very nice plants as they get older. Hope you see some blooms on them this summer.
    Rick

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

Nice plants, Averil !

Where do you grow them, southfaceing window, or ?
    Inside all year, or ?

I'm in Norway, I have seedplants of similar size, and like you I hope for (the first) flowers. I give my plants as much light as possible in a southfaceing window.

And I have also decided that I will not turn the pots, I will let them have light from the same angle for a long time, it's a "gut feeling thing", I don't know if that makes any difference ...

This post was edited by heart_in_bloom on Thu, May 1, 14 at 17:27

• averil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your kind remarks ginger and RC.
    Hi hearts in bloom. In the winter months they are indoors in south facing windows, but when it warms up they go in to the unheated greenhouse for a few months. I don't deliberately turn mine round but I move them to the drainer for watering and they just get put back any old way lol. I have heard before that some people don't turn them, but Indont know if it makes any difference. I'm not going to feed them so much this year. I was feeding every two weeks, had loads of foliage but not a bloom. Brian, from UK who uses this forum has beautiful adeniums with lovely flowers and I'm sure he said he rarely feeds them. I think it's a case of hit and miss and for those in cooler climates it's a bit more of a juggle. Still I'm always inspired by seeing everyone's lovely plants on here and it keeps me going. Good luck on getting flowers and if you do, put up a pic.
    Kind regards
    Averil

This post was edited by averil on Fri, May 2, 14 at 5:26

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hi Averil, great to see your plants are doing real well for you, I hope they bloom real soon. As you say, it's all a bit of a gamble for us here in the UK and those in similar climates. Hopefully we will get some decent sun this year, so who knows what may happen with our plants?

Gill....also from the UK!

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

Averil, thanks for your answers and comments to my posting.

I read an article about "generous growth" and made my strategy for this year from what I learned there. So unless I come across information that make me change my mind, I will feed quite generously.

We've had an unusually sunny April month, so that's a good start after I potted up and cut back most of the plants in early April.

We shall have to keep each other informed about the results. ;-)

I hope to post pictures later, when those that have been cut back have got some nice new growth.

Britta ( in Norway )

• averil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Gill, I hope life is treating you well. Yes the weather is always a bit hit and miss. I've been out tonight covering peonies in case of frost. Have any of your adeniums flowered yet?. You do have lovely plants. I'm thinking of keeping all of mine for another year then seeing how much I can get on ebay for a few 3 year olds. I'm looking for more seeds lol
    Hi Britta, I find these plants to be really hardy, so I'm more inclined to experiment a bit with them. Put up some pics later. We would love to see them
    Kind regards to all
    Averil (UK)

• Pagan
    9 years ago

He-he. Nice class picture, Averil. When they bloom, you should post the graduation picture as well. Most of my plants are still in elementary school and of my adult plants, only one has graduated. I have a large plant that looks old enough to be working on its dissertation but as soon as temperatures warmed up, it decided to drop all its leaves and go to sleep. Go figure.

Are there woodchucks or its equivalent in Europe? I just saw one eating my weeds outside. Hmm.

Pagan

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hello everyone!!!

Love the class pic as well as the nice bum!! ;-).

They all look so healthy and cutting them back like that will help with blooms.. I bet you will see them this year.

Great job!!!

I finally brought all of my trees outside. The weather here has been awful. The hardest and coldest in 20 years. I lost two palms with single digit temps here in zone 8. Just doesn't work... I'm bummed, but what to do....

The trees are out and now we shall see...

Here's to a great summer!!!

Cheers!

Laura

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County