Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
54641210d

When to move seedlings out?

54641210d
10 years ago

I live in lower Connecticut and lately the weather has been beautiful (almost 60 degrees Fahrenheit!), but still chilly. On some days, there's full sun while others it's cloudy, but the warm weather made me wonder when I should be letting the seedlings sit outside.

What temperature is safe for seedlings to sit in? Mine have been growing under a light with a pad that heated it to 82F but for the past week I turned it off so now it's at room temperature.

Comments (5)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

I am a bit anxious to have some of mine outside also.
    It may still be a tad cool to be putting them outside with 60 degrees and cold breeze.
    If you are talking of a few seedlings, then it is much easier to move in and out of house/greenhouse to a sheltered spot.
    When I do start putting mine out. I like to set out up against the house (south facing side) and under the ease so that there is no risk of water from rain and put a piece of shade cloth only to shade from hottest afternoon sun. I take the shade cloth back a bit at a time to get acclimatized to hot sun, over a period of a week or so.
    Not worth burning them after taking so much time and caring during them winter months.
    I have too many now to take in and out every day now. I will wait until evening temperatures are around 60 degrees.
    Rick

• Pagan
    10 years ago

I'm totally with Rick. I can't be bothered to transport seedlings back and forth (even though I only have about 12) so I just wait until it's as warm outside at night as it was in the house in the winter.

The way things are going, my seedlings won't be going out until late May! Maybe even June. Sheesh.

Pagan

• roma0904
    10 years ago

Pagan,
    My seedlings have been out now for 2 months, just had to take them back in last week as we had an unusual 46 for April, the question is? ( out of this theme) how do you do it to live in that cold weather? This year's winter was unusually cold ( for me) 26 for a couple of days and was about to die, I just try to imagine that it would be the other side for you, we live above 110 for 2 months or more and hit the 115 mark at least 3 days, so the adeniums are happy as long as they get some afternoon shade

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Roberto,

It just means we have a significantly shorter growing period for adeniums--they actually tolerate low temperatures if they are eased into it. This last autumn, for instance, I did not bring my adult plants into the shelter until temperatures were going consistently down to about 10C at night and they did alright.

However, I did put one in the garage and another one I left out a little longer (it was being treated for mealy bugs) while the rest went into the house. The garage plant was actually crunchy when I checked it in January lol (ice crystals in the trunk) and the other one died slowly when I brought it indoors as temperatures went down to just above freezing at night.

For seedlings, I think the best rule of thumb is this: when outdoor temperatures at night go below your lowest indoor temperature, bring them indoors. In my case, that convergence is at around 16C.

From what I have learned so far in this forum, I have not seen an upper limit to the temperature that adeniums will tolerate as long as it is watered well.

Short growth periods, I am betting, probably also means less opportunity to bloom. But that matters less to me so my plants do not get any sort of bloom-boosting intervention at all.

110F. Yikes.

Pagan

• roma0904
    10 years ago

Thanks Pagan

I can tell you about upper levels, above 106-108 f have to avoid 2 p.m. to 5 p.m . direct sunlight, if dont will get yellowish, they burn a little ,but they survive, since I got them the maximum temperature we been should be around 115 f and they are still there doing nice