Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
averil_gw

Pink blush on leafs

averil
11 years ago

I've just noticed a couple of my plants have veins that have turned pink and the leafs have a pink "blush" underneath. Is this normal. I had to repot the other day after the cat wrecked them, but on the whole they look healthy
Thanks again for any advice
Rgds
Averil uk

Comments (14)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hi Averil, don't think it's anything major. I too have it as all the new leaves on the last one of my big guys have a really unusual almost bright pink colouration to the leaves. The new growths on the other 2 were similar but nowhere near as pink as this last one is and its taking an age to leaf out. I'll get a pic for you tomorrow as I dont think it will be a true pic if I take it with the flash at this time of night, better in the light of day...as are most things!!
    I do hope yours will be OK, my other 2 look good as the pink went gradually and they now have brand new shiny dark green leaves.

Just checked my 'pink' one...the veins are not that strongly pink, the undersides are much more, but one thing I noticed is that the leaves definitely do look a much paler green than the ones that have leafed out earlier. Not spotted this before you posted as they have only just 'opened up' properly in the last day or so. Are your leaves pale green too? Mmmmmh, you got me wondering now. Can't recall if the other 2 had pale leaves to start with or not.
    Anyone else out there help us on this one please?
    Gill from the UK.

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Gill,thanks for your reply. I've just checked and the leaves That are pink underneath do tend to be paler than the others. I have also noticed that it is the same on plants with normal coloured veins and not just red. If yours are the same then I'm sure it's something and nothing. It may even be to do with the lengthening hours of daylight we have now and they are maybe adjusting. Funny little plants aren't they, but I do love them
    Rgds
    AVeril uk

• User
    11 years ago

Hello Averil and Gill,
    Is this the colouration you are seeing? If so it is perfectly normal. It will be interesting to see if these plants produce extra red flowers as they are showing the red pigment.

Happy growing
    Brian UK

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hello Averil and Brian, I've just managed to grab an hour or so on the laptop and check out my fav forum while d/h has gone out and I have a Coldplay album on at full volume, lol!! Didn't manage to get a pic in the brilliant spring sunshine today as it's been dull damp and dreary once again, sigh. Had to resort to the flash so here's a not very good pic of the pink flushed leaves and one of the other 2 that have leafed out with no pink colouration at all. Never noticed this before, but then I have never had my plants defoliate completely, only renew the odd leaf here and there. The leaves are very pale in comparison to the others I find. I think they will be just fine given time.....and sun.....and warmth!
    Brian, red flowers eh? I will be so pleased for a flower of any colour, size or shape :))
    Gill from the UK.

This post was edited by greenclaws on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 14:52

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

...here's the other pic....

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Brian and gill, yes Nthat is exactly what I've got, so I won't worry now. THanks for putting the pics up. My plants are only a year old Brian so I'm not looking for flowers yet but some nice red would be lovely. Thanks again for yr help my friends
    Regards
    Averil uk

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gill, your plants are super.what growing medium do you use?. I'm using 50/50 cactus and perlite but maybe I could be doing better for them
    Kind regards
    Averil uk

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hi Averil, two older seedlings and my three 'big guys' (no where near as big as others we see on the forum, but they are MY biggest!! haha!!) that were 5 in Feb, two of which are pictured above are in a mix of equal parts vermiculite, horticultural grit, reptile bark and a small amount of cactus mix. The first 3 ingredients are seived to get similar sized particles. They get repotted into fresh mix each spring and are due soon, I lift them up each year to show more of the caudex and roots which I find fascinating. My seedlings which I sowed earlier this year are in a similar mix but with smaller particles as their root system is small and they are also finer.
    The pink is gradually fading as the leaves elongate, hopefully they will go darker green as they are much paler than the others. I had some really strongly coloured pink leaves as you can see.
    Gill from the UK.

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for that Gill, I shall write down your recipe and try the same next year when I repot
    Kind regards
    Averil

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

I recently read in another forum or blog that if they stems and veins on new leaves are more emerald to jade green that it's a good indication of a white or light colored flower. I don't know how true it is but would be interesting if it turns out to be a good indicator.
    I'll have to go look at my recent purchase of that Luang Siam Yellow to check being it's probably going to be a light cream color.

Kirk

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

That's an interesting bit of info Kirk, trouble is I reckon I will have to wait for ages to see if it's got any truth in it!! I know my original batch of seeds were plain old pink ones and I later bought some supposedly named seeds of 'Star of Luck' and 'Noble Concubine' knowing they dont come true from seed, but hey, you gotta try. Unfortunately the seedlings got mixed up by someone at an early stage, lol. So goodness knows what my 3 big guys are...and I may not even find out, but I still like them if only for their weird shapes.
    Gill from the UK.

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Weird shapes are good. I've seen pics of both Star of Luck and Noble Concubine. I'd love to have a Noble Concubine in my collection. Who am I kidding? I'd love the Star of Luck as well. The flower shape is awesome! :)

Kirk

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

I have a few of the Mini-size 'Sun Up Star' and Mini-size 'Red' growing and I am not sure what I will get for flower color, but they definitely are living up to their trait being mini-size. Cannot wait to see how they are in a years time.
    The Swazicum seedlings have quite a different leaf, quite thin (lance-shaped)
    Rick

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hi Averil, well we have actually had sun for most of the day today, hope you have too! On checking my DR's (as I often do!), I've noticed that the pink colour is already getting paler and the leaves are marginally greener too, so hopefully all will be normal in a few days time. I have read that a dose of Epsom Salts will green up pale leaves so I may give that a try later on if they don't improve enough. Lets hope the good weather continues then they will go green all on their own!
    Gill from the UK.