Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamkaz_gw

Adenium Seeds and New Growth

adamkaz
12 years ago

First... glad to be a part of the new adenium forum!

Got 20 seeds through Ebay (mixed) and sowed them Saturday morning. Put the seedling tray on a heat mat and covered/misted.

This morning before leaving for work, I noticed that some of the seeds were pushing up through the soil! Very excited...

I only have 1 adenium (aside from the seeds) that I bought at a show last year. It had no flowers... I pruned it a month or so ago and it has put up a TON of new growth (like 50 new branches are coming out?). I am hopeful to see my first flowers in the coming months... I am an excited new adenium lover.

Question - are you supposed to just let all of the new growths come out, or might one cut them off if they are growing across the center/too many? Picture below... thanks!!

{{gwi:342744}}

Comments (14)

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

Congrats to you Adamkaz, your plants will be full and beautiful in less than 30 days. Don't cut them, let them grow out first. I hope it will bloom it's head off for you this summer. Your babies adenium will keep you busy soon.....
    Marie

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

Hello Adamkaz and welcome to our new forum, I'm sure we will all learn from each other so it's nice to see you posting.
    Your plant looks lovely, it will soon be even better with all that new growth. I too would let it grow on this time and then see what it looks like, hopefully you will have loads of flowers. Congrats on your babies btw! I had seeds sprout in four days also, once they are through they can grow quickly so keep them moist, don't let them dry out, but on the other hand, don't drown them! It's a fine balancing act at that stage in their young lives...I know, I've lost a lot!!!
    Gill from the UK.

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    12 years ago

adamkaz...

The photo of that chopped Adenium sure tells a story! I wondered if Adenium could be severely cut back....now I know.

Also, very interesting seeing where all the buds are breaking, even on the caudex. I bet every bud location marks where an old leaf once grew.

Thanks for sharing this photo and posting it on the new forum.

Frank

• adamkaz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just wanted to update - my first blooms are on their way, very exciting! When I bought the plant last year, it had no blooms so I did not know the color. Can't wait to see it opened up, will take it in studio for some better photos.

{{gwi:342745}}

• elucas101
    11 years ago

WOW! That's a really nice looking plant you have there! And it looks like your blooms will be red instead of pink! WOO HOO!!! Beautiful!

What type of show did you buy it from? I wish they had something like that in my area. I went to an incredible nursery we have around here today but for the size of the plants / caudex and the price I didn't feel like they were that great.

• adamkaz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting.. I always thought the pink was beautiful, it's what got me interested in adenium in the first place. Of course I have about 10 seedlings that are about 4 months old, I imagine there will be some pinks in there. Regardless of color, cant wait to see it in full bloom!

I got it at the cactus sale/show at the Huntington Gardens last year. I could probably find the name of the vendor by looking at some old photos...

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Adamkaz, pink is pretty color, but most adenium turn out to be pink, so red is less commond. The plant looks so healthy with shiny leaves. Please more pictures whenever it opens.

Marie

• adamkaz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It finally opened. :) I think it is lovely. A special surprise for my first adenium bloom.

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Wow, that is beautiful.....so beautiful......
    Marie

• elucas101
    11 years ago

OH MY GOODNESS, you got a gorgeous bloom - you picked a great plant!!! Congratulations!

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Wow what a beauty! I've never seen a red with purple edging like that.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Ohhhh MY!!

Just Beautiful!!!

Loved how you trimmed it back..

You were rewarded with lots of growth!!

LOVE that bloom!!!

Laura

• averil
    11 years ago

Oh wow, how gorgeous!! Well done!!
    Averil

• adamkaz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I'm not sure it's really a purple edging, I think it's just faded red edge, and maybe the camera phone isn't the best in color accuracy. Here's another shot a few minutes later when the sun was up.