Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junglajungle

Dessert Rose Root Cracked

Junglajungle
11 years ago

Hello! I have a dessert rose is about 7 years old I purchased it when it was just a seedling, I trimmed it and repotted it 2 weeks ago, when I took it out of the pot one big root was cracked IâÂÂm not sure if I cracked it taking it out or if it was this way (I did have to pull a bit to take it out of the old pot) I have repotted every other year but I never had the roots grow as much as this last repotting. I placed the plant in its new pot and new soil and left the cracked root in the open I did not watered for 8 days to let it dry, it feels ruff and dry at this point I watered it yesterday. Is the plant going to be ok? Is there something else I should be doing? Why this happened? I have been caring for this plant for so long it has never bloomed; just in the past two years it started to take off I hope it will be ok. Thanks for all your help.
Ariana

Comments (13)

• Junglajungle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More pics

• Junglajungle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And the last pic

• nearpass
    11 years ago

It's possible that if it was in its old pot really tightly, as you suggest, that it cracked when it 'was set free' so to speak, and was able to expand. That's the only thing I can think of. It seems to me that if it's dry, it should be ok. You could always dust in there with some fungicide on a small paintbrush. I've done that before just to be on the safe side.

• Junglajungle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you nearpass, it looks happy and is growing I put cinnamon all over it; I will go tonight and get fungicide and apply it. I agree with you, when I took it out I did not expect to have such big roots since in the past it did not show much of a root grow. IâÂÂm glad it looks good I will keep an aye on it. Thanks again

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hello and welcome to the forum! That's a good looking plant you have there despite the crack! When you water, be careful not to get any into the split, maybe try to water around the edge of the pot away from it to try and minimise any getting inside. Once it really toughens up on the open surface, it should be fine...just be careful for a while though : )
    Gill from the UK.

• Junglajungle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks greenclaws that is what I have been doing, I water it only once weekly using a watering can so i don't get water into the split, it was very upsetting to had this happen to the plant. I put fungicide on it this morning.
    Ariana

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Ariana, sorry I hope you didn't think I was being patronising, It should have been plainly obvious to me you would be careful not to get water into it!! It must be happy to have put on so much root growth and it can often be a total surprise what's been going on underground. You have some good sprouts pushing out ready to make lots of new branches, so it will soon look very different. Keep us posted on it's progress please? Is it your only DR?
    Gill from the UK.

• Junglajungle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello greenclaws absolutely not, you and everyone on this forum are very nice and very helpful. Yes is the only one I have, I will post pictures of its progress. Thanks again for all your help. Ariana

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi !

Gill ... You are always so kind and helpful . You didn't sound any way except kind . ;-). Great advice I might add.

Hopefully it will heal itself if it stays dry.

Nice looking tree!

Welcome junglajungle!

Laura

• dragonstone
    11 years ago

You could name it Harry Potter with that lightning-shaped scar. Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Thank you Laura!
    It was just that I belong to another forum (not a Gweb one BTW) that can be a bit prickly at times. Posts can be easily taken out of context and trouble can kick off at the slightest thing. I'm no fan of that at all and try to avoid confrontation at all costs, hence my follow up post. We do seem to all get along well on here which is great for all concerned, nothing is worse than ill feeling, even between folks that do not know each other personally. :)

Dragonstone...Harry Potter, yes! There is actually a hybrid called that, have seen it for sale on the internet...
    Gill from the UK.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harry Potter adenium

• Junglajungle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dragonstone that is funny! I never watched harry potter I had to Google it and yes it does look like it.

Gill, I'm new to the forum but I have come to this web page for advice for so many years regarding my plants. I really like the help I receive; everyone is so friendly and helpful. I'm sorry if my message gave the wrong impression. The plant is doing good, it feels very dry and it is growing new branches. I will post a follow up.

Thanks to all again for welcoming me into the forum. Ariana

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Ariana, no worries, nothing was wrong with your post. When I re-read MY post I just seemed to have stated the obvious to you, so I apologised and hoped you wasn't offended!! Oh dear, what a muddle we have got ourselves in eh? lol!! Think we had better end this else we will both be apologising to each other ad infinitum!!!
    Take care, I'm glad you enjoy the forum and I see you have yet another DR...keep them coming!
    Gill from the UK.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!