Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roma0904

roma0904
10 years ago

Hello, I am new to this forum, I live in south Central Texas, usually perfect weather to grow adenium, just thi past winter an unusual one, cold and humid, had some fungus problems in my adeniums.
I been reading some of your posts, the one that caught my attention was the one on the spider mites, I been invaded several times by them, find out that the bayer ( I think is bayer ) house and garden insecticide gets rid completely of them and doesn't harm the plant
Above a couple of my adenium for those who are afraid of hard pruning like me, but after seen this not anymore, the first pic originally had 5 branches now is growing more than 30, the second one had like 7 now is growing like 20

Comments (26)

• roma0904
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well it only postec the 2nd pic here I am adding the 1st one

• laurieinphx
    10 years ago

Very nice! I was also weary of the hard pruning! :)

Laurie

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Wow! Those are some impressive caudexes! Very nice. Welcome to this great forum. I think we all struggle with spider mites sometimes. Glad to know you found something that works great.

-Heather

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Goodness me, what impressive plants those 2 are! I really like the look of that first one, it's caudex is a real stunner.
    Gill UK

• Horrie2014
    10 years ago

Am very new these plants, infact i just did my research on these plants last year on the month of july, i started planting these plants on the month of September 2013 and now these plants are 7 months old. I have very little experience in planting these flowers. Here is my nursery, these are mixed adenium, am not particular about colors yet just trying to master the soil medium.

my medium is
    40% coconut coir
    30% soil
    30% chicken manua

no artificial fertilizers, and here are the picture, of my seedling, some still taking to long to grow. Please judge, and advice.........

• Horrie2014
    10 years ago

2nd picture

• Horrie2014
    10 years ago

3rd picture

• Horrie2014
    10 years ago

taken a month ago

• Horrie2014
    10 years ago

a month ago

• Sanet
    10 years ago

Hi Horrie

Your seedlings look very neat (I wish mine looked like that)!!

Roma
    Your caudex is really really impressive!

• roma0904
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks,
    Don't ask me how I got ths , I dont know , I didnt know anything about adeniums at the time, didnt repot or pruned them for 2 years and that's what I got.
    Real nice and healthy seedlings, are they for sale? ;)
    for media I only use commercial cactus soil with 1/4 of perlite, it gives me good results so I dont want to experiment,
    By the way the plant on my second picture is full of blooms, in every single branch, cant wait to see them open, will post a pic

• somalenese
    10 years ago

hi
    everyone great specimens
    Roma
    one question
    how do you plan to save the newly exposed caudex from sunburn ?
    Horrie
    my God so much of bio degradable material for adeniums what climate zone ?

anurag

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Welcome, Roma!!!!

Great job on the pruning.. Roma!!!

Love the look and now its not to hard to prune eh? Love it!!!

I was nervous at first, but now.. Snip, snip!!! ;-)

Love the shape of the Caudex!! Nice...

Horrie.. All I can say is... " wow". Nice job!!!

Laura

• Horrie2014
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments every one,

these seedlings are not for sale, I planted them in order to master the technique of grafting. Am just surprise we do not have that much species in my country, Am from the Pacific and its a tropical zone, The Country: Vanuatu, i know you all wouldn't even know about it, but if you have time GOOGLE it. I just fall in love with these flowers.

thanks sanet, roma0904,somalenese, loveplants2,

roma to be honest i cant wait to see mind growing as big as your beautiful adenium

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Just so you know-Bayer House and Garden Insecticide contains imidacloprid which is thought to contribute to bee colony collapse. Please use it carefully.

Linda

Horticulturist and Beekeeper

• Horrie2014
    10 years ago

SANET

to be honesty your seedlings are so impressive and healthy, i'd say, what i understand, do not keep them for too long, start thinking of transplanting. Your an expert, i think my second trial will be more like Yours. Keep up the good Work and Creativity.

Nice, show us the update once you have them transplanted.

• Sanet
    10 years ago

Hi Horrie

I am busy transplanting but I planted about 3000 + seeds December 2013 so what im trying to say......... its going to take a while!! I got a luck shot when one of the local importers order 1500 seeds assumingly from Ko and the parcel got damaged and all the seeds were mixed. So I bought it under cost price as a lucky packet! The importer is so angry I dont think he will order Adeniums again, and thats whats making me scared as we'll with our custum, they're just spiteful. The seeds were held for months at custom s but luckily about 75 % did germinate. It just shows that Ko seeds is of very good quality. Ill post you photos over the weekend covering the BIG transplantation.

• roma0904
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Somalenese

Winter and spring have been really wierd, almost mid April and 0 days above 100 degrees F, and next week will be down to 50, I can tell you this is complete wierd for this part of the States, I really haven't protect them from the sun, maybe with the past summers (above 110 degrees) they just don't feel it anymore and there are some big trees that protect the from the sun in the afternoon,
    What I got burned were some seedlings, I got so many problems this past winter, was unusual humid and cold that all my adeniums got fungus, so when I took my seedling out I thought they still got fungus and they didn't it was sunburn, I lost some but 75% survived
    Thanks to all, your comments make me very proud of my adeniums
    Just imagine my face when I unearthed them and saw those caudex was a very nice surprise

• roma0904
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The leafs of the adenium in my second pic are closed like a taco and wavy, I can open them with my hands and look very healthy very nice green color, and very thick, does anyone know why are they like that? Need more or less water or too much sun, tomorrow will post a pic
    Please advise

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Roma,
    The way you have explained the leaf position (like a taco) is a question I had asked about on a different site. I did not get a clear answer, but the was comment that the leaves will fold upwards when the plant has or is receiving intense sun light. Not exactly sure.
    If you take a look at 'Sanet's ' photo's on different thread of the Swazicum's, they to have a similar appearance.
    I thought that possibly this leaf shape, like a valley was particular to certain species.
    Would be interesting to see if your seedlings with leaves like this flatten out and open if placed in a different site with less sunlight?
    Rick

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Hi all!

The only safe way to use imidacloprid is INDOORS where bees and other pollinating insects will not have access to your blooms. Bees that find flowers in plants treated with imidacloprid fail to go back to their colonies and they keep flying around until they die of exhaustion.

Once our plants are outside, neem oil is the best, sprayed at dusk. I learned here that fish emulsion is also excellent bug control AND foliar fertilizer. Horrible stench but I'll be using it this season in the fervent hope it will keep woodchucks away as well!

Pagan

• roma0904
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rick

I will move the plant for few days to see what happens, I have other two in the same place and they don't have the leafs like this, I understand not all plant are the same, I will do it and let you know what happens
    Thanks

• Horrie2014
    9 years ago

still growing slow but getting there....

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

They look awesome!!!!

Laura

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

Horrie,

Seedlings do seem to grow pretty slowly. I can sure see a big difference in size with them. They looks so healthy.

I find when I am away from my plants for a week and come back that I notice more growth than when I am hovering over them several times a day watching for growth. LOL.

Thanks for sharing the updated photo.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz