Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desert Rose with Al's gritty mix

Posted by FLadenium none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 18:10

Hey guys well I made 1 out of 3 parts of Al's mix here's a few pictures the DR. This plant was dieing due to me not knowing what sort of soil to use and the leaves were yellowing within a few days. I know better than to use Miracle Grow on anything so I opted out of the cactus pre-mix. I live in South Florida so I have only been able to locate the Repti Bark from Petsmart, and I am getting the Turface on either Tuesday or Wedsday. Can anyone tell me why Silica sand is used in place of the granite ? Also, how much of this sand is needed in the mix and how much Turface as of now I am only using the Repti bark with some Epsoma Gypsum for calcium. The plant seems to be doing much better already!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desert Rose with Al's gritty mix

Here's a pic of the root system after misting I also added stones on the bottom of the pot for drainage

o

Congratulations on working on a better draining mix for your Adenium!!!

Al's Gritty Mix is a 1:1:1 ratio of Pine or Fir Bark, Turface, Granigrit ( Growers size) or Cherrystone ( size 2 ) All based on being similar in particle size. When you speak of silica sand instead of Granite, Sliica sand basically is smaller particles of crushed stone or granite . Coarse sand can be used as long as its in the right size.

Here is a pic of my Gritty Mix...

Once you make the mix, you don't need a layer of gravel on the bottom of your container.. It's a good idea to put a small piece of screen or plastic mesh ( used for cross stitch available at Michaels arts and crafts) to cover the hole. The mix will come out of the hole because of the small size, so its a good idea to protect the drainage hole.

I'll link you to the info that Al has posted and you can see the sizes needed for the Gritty Mix!

Gritty Mix

1 part uncomposted screened pine or fir bark (1/8-1/4")
1 part screened Turface
1 part crushed Gran-I-Grit (grower size) or #2 cherrystone
1 Tbsp gypsum per gallon of soil (eliminate if your fertilizer has Ca)
CRF (if desired)

I use 1/8 -1/4 tsp Epsom salts (MgSO4) per gallon of fertilizer solution when I fertilize if the fertilizer does not contain Mg (check your fertilizer - if it is soluble, it is probable it does not contain Ca or Mg. If I am using my currently favored fertilizer (I use it on everything), Dyna-Gro's Foliage-Pro in the 9-3-6 formulation, and I don't use gypsum or Epsom salts in the fertilizer solution.

This link will help!!!

Good luck,

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Containers Soils -Water Movement and Retention XVIII

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 20:12

o

Laura,
Your display of components of Gritty Mix is like Art Work. So well presented.
FLadenium, nice plant. You will see a big difference in time using this mix.
Watering frequency will depend on location, time of year and conditions we each apply.
Nice to have you join this group.
Rick

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 21:45

photo 5yearsold109.jpg

Al

o

Thanks to everyone for the follow up I'm hitting Silica sand company either tomorrow or the following day, and Laura I'm adding a screen on the bottom hole of the pot like you said, and maybe a little Dyna-Gro's Foliage-Pro too from a hydroponics store. Thank you all

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 21:57

FWIW - particle size is a critical consideration when substituting granite and silica, or any other ingredients in the gritty mix. Though both are inert ingredients and hold no water internally, if the size or size range varies, the way they interact with the rest of the ingredients as a fraction of the whole changes. IOW, you can't substitute silica sand about the same size as coarse salt for #2 cherrystone or grower size grit and expect the soil to perform as it would if you were using the larger components.

If you're interested, the link that Laura left above offers a detailed overview of how water behaves in soils. An understanding of the information in that link probably represents the largest step forward a container gardener can take at any one time. Once you understand it, I promise the proverbial 'light' will go on.

Al

o

fL...Good luck!!!! You will love the Foliage Pro!!!

Thank you, Rick ! , so kind...

Al, always a pleasure! Thank you for sharing....

Take care,

Laura

o

What exactly is turface? I've never heard of it before.

o

Vivey,
Turface is a calcined clay used for improving drainage. Many Ball fields, Soccer fields use for this purpose.
I get mine through a wholesale company here that sells fertilizers, etc.
Many substitute Pumice (used in some masonry work) or Quincan gravel.
Use what you can find and is readily available to you. Many people use Perlite if they need to and some for the purpose of keeping the weight down on pots.
Rick

o

This is copied from a thread searched here Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on Sat, Sep 3, 11 at 11:03

Turface vs Napa Floor Dry

Turface is calcined Montmorillonite clay, while the Floor Dry is calcined DE (diatomaceous earth). Both are very internally porous, but the calcined DE getting the nod for most water retention. Because the DE is more porous, it has more surface area and more attachment sites for nutrients, so it's CEC is better than that of Turface. Turface comes in at a pH of about 6.2, Floor Dry around 7.0.
There is a thread floating around somewhere that discusses a floor-dry product OTHER than the NAPA that has a larger avg particle size and very little waste. Though I do lean toward Turface over the DE, and perhaps it's because I don't NEED the extra water retention, I think I would take a serious look at switching to the larger DE product if I could find it (I think I cut myself too much slack there - I should have said if I wasn't so complacent and too lazy to make the effort.) ;-).

I think I'll go try to find that thread & reread it. If I locate it, I'll share.

Al

Thought this might help!!

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here