{{gwi:343137}}

3 months

{{gwi:343138}}

8 months

{{gwi:343139}}

12 months

{{gwi:343140}}

22 months (March 8, 2012)

I was really excited to see the plant forming its very first flower buds, but at the same time, kind of anxious. When you grow Adeniums from seed, there's no way to be sure what the flowers will look like, and there's always a chance that the flowers will revert to a wild-type pale pink.

{{gwi:343141}}

Damaged flower bud

{{gwi:343142}}

The other buds are looking great though.

{{gwi:343143}}

Finally open (March 27, 2012)

{{gwi:343145}}

{{gwi:343147}}

{{gwi:343150}}

{{gwi:343152}}

Here's the flower after about a week.

Comments (37)

• binlin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's how my A. obesum seeds turned out!

Here're some more of an A. arabicum I've got:
    {{gwi:343155}}
    {{gwi:343156}}
    {{gwi:343157}}
    {{gwi:343158}}
    {{gwi:343159}}
    {{gwi:343160}}
    {{gwi:343161}}
    {{gwi:343163}}

• Marie Tran
    12 years ago

Rennet, your seedling are beautiful.
    Marie

• cwcervantes
    12 years ago

Very pretty flowers! What sort of mix are they potted in?

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Wow!!! BEAUTIFUL Rennet!! Great job...

BTW, I love your seedling mix...can you tell me exactly what you ingredients you use and the amounts for it...thanks!

Thanks for the great pictures!!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing Rennet, and welcome to the new forum, I hope you enjoy it.
    Your plants look very well grown, it's taken mine 4 yrs to get to 8inches tall for my biggest, they're all from seed. Mind you, I am very climatically challenged living here in the UK, lol!!!
    What type of arabicum have you got, are they from seed too? I have some Ad. arabicum Black Pearl, but they are still small...and will be for a while I guess!
    Gill from the UK.

• binlin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys!

@puglvr1 The potting mix for the seedlings is 75% perlite and 25% pine bark chunks. I chose this mix to avoid damping off. It doesn't retain water and will dry very quickly, so I kept the seeds covered with a clear plastic lid. After the seedlings sprouted I mixed a little compost in. When they were about 2 weeks old I mixed more bark and compost into the mix and removed the lid.

@cwcervantes
    My mix in these pictures was about 40% bark/coconut coir chunks, 30% broken clay pots, 20% perlite and 10% charcoal.
    Just yesterday I finally got my hands on 50lbs of turface MVP though, so I've replaced the mix with about a 3:2 mixture of turface and bark. I'm hoping the new mix performs well, but I've yet to find out.

@greenclaws
    Thanks! I was about to post these on Cacti/Succulents about a week ago, but I noticed the thread about an incoming Adenium forum, so I'd been sitting on these pics since then.

I totally understand the ordeal with climate. I'm in Canada, and I live in a tiny apartment with only a single window. My plants were undoubtedly doomed to etiolation, but I bought a T5 high output fixture and now grow all my plants under it.

The Arabicum is also grown from seed, but I have no pictures, and no idea what the exact plant is. The seller said something about it being a Lop buri giant hybrid, but didn't specify beyond that.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

I've just been admiring your pictures again and can hardly believe what you have achieved in 2 years, the plants are looking so good and strong too. How lovely to have flowers, mine dropped off at the small bud stage 2 yrs running on one plant, and the others have yet to get that far!
    Can I ask you please....what are some of them standing on, looks like polystyrene boxes/shapes of some kind? Can also see some kind of light reflecting sheet, like aluminium foil maybe? Both great ideas for heat retention and reflection I would think. Hope to see you here regularly : )
    Gill from the UK.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    12 years ago

That's a real keeper!

• binlin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@greenclaws
    Thanks! The plants are standing on styrofoam boxes. I use them because I'm a graduate student in a research lab, and we get samples packed dry ice shipped in these boxes. They're light, strong and reflect light well, so they're perfect for raising some of the shorter plants up close to the lights. The metallic sheet in the back is mylar. You can buy very thick 2-4mm sheets of the stuff that will reflect >99% of incoming light, but that costs too much for me, so I just go to the dollar store and buy "Emergency Blankets."
    They're very thin, and a lot of light escapes through them, but they're better than nothing.

@dave_in_nova
    Thanks! I'm really happy with how the flowers turned out. They don't really look like the parent, but there's some resemblance.

@ProudMamaSD
    I really recommend everyone try growing Adeniums from seed!
    Adeniums are actually really easy to grow from seed, and the experience is very rewarding.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    12 years ago

Thanks Rennet, I really like the idea of the reflective sheets, makes it look as though you have twice as many plants as in real life! I have used polystyrene insulation sheets to stand plants on in the winter as my staging is mainly aluminium which is very cold in the winter months. Both great ideas to make the most of the available light/heat and so save the pennies...for yet more plants of course, lol!!
    Gill from the UK.

• Bergit
    12 years ago

Thanks for showing !

It is so inspiring to see what others have achieved ... And this in only 2 years ...

How have you fertilized your plants ? Cacti fertilizer or house plant fertilizer ? And how much / often ?

• binlin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi bergit,
    I water about once a week and fertilize every time I water.
    I use a very dilute solution of house plant fertilizer with micronutrients and add a bit of Epsom salt. I just soak the pot in this stuff for about 10 minutes.
    I never actually measure how much fertilizer I use, but if I had to guess, I'd say it was maybe

• Bergit
    11 years ago

Thanks for your answer, rennet,

that sounds like a good plan for my 10 months old seedplants , as well ...

They are in an active growth period now , so I'll get started with the fertilizing the next time I water them.

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Rennet,
    great plants! Now I would like to try seeds as well...
    Didn't have good luck buying seedlings; 2 out of 3 died within 48 hours after arrival and these were supposed to be yellow :(

Thanks for sharing.

Aggie

• michelle2013
    10 years ago

hi am new in this forum, would like to ask where u bought your seeds online..am planning to order some but am afraid of being scammed..anyone tried buying from adeniumseeds.com? would appreciate help ty

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

If I bought off eBay, I would buy from AdeniumKo. or adeniumcenter.
    They both sell viable seeds and are good to deal with.
    Can only hope with Adenium seeds or get something with parent plants characteristics, but this would be true with anyone seeds.
    Rick

• jv44
    10 years ago

michelle2013, I bought my first big batch of seeds from adeniumseeds.com and had excellent germination rates, although all my seeds from there were arabicum and Thai socos--no obesums. Have gotten obesum seeds from AdeniumKo a number of times as well as AdeniumCenter and Rinoa. Check out JK Adenium on Facebook--I've ordered seeds of some fantastic arabicums and Thai socos from there.

Mike in MN

• michelle2013
    10 years ago

thanks for all the feedback. as i was searching for seed suppliers, i found this in facebook. has anyone tried getting seeds from this seller?
    https://www.facebook.com/tw.adenium.seeds

@JV44 ordered 200 seeds from adeniumseeds.com and it was already mailed. am crossing my fingers to correctly germinate the seeds lol...thanks guys :)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Hi Michelle,
    twadeniums is Rinoa and she is amazing. Has wonderful seed and plants.
    Very trustworthy.
    I can see if I can send you her new seed catalogue.
    Rick

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Sorry Michelle your email is not set up to receive.
    Rinoa's email.
    rinoach@gmail.com

She will send an email with seeds list if you ask. Also ask whether she ships to the Phillipines?
    AdeniumKo on eBay can be contacted outside of eBay also and Rinoa used to work with Ko.
    Rick

• michelle2013
    10 years ago

thanks so much @rcharles for posting this, will keep u guys posted once i receive my seeds, :)

• michelle2013
    10 years ago

@rcharles, can u send me th elink of rinoa's site? here's my email add stuffsonsalewholesale@yahoo.com thanks for all the help :)

• jv44
    10 years ago

Michelle2013--I hope you got some arabicum seeds--they're a bit different than obesums, larger and more robust in growth. I'm also currently waiting on a batch of obesum seeds from Rinoa that should be here early this week--I've gotten some really nice grafted obesum plants from Rinoa as well.

Mike in MN

• michelle2013
    10 years ago

hi Mike, i ordered some arabicums from rinoa and still waiting for my invoice lol..by the way, before i sow the seeds, do i need to put chamomile tea to prevent fungus from forming? thanks :)

• jv44
    10 years ago

I've never heard of using chamomile tea as an anti-fungal--but I'm no expert. If the tea has worked for you in the past with sowing seeds, then sure. I just use ordinary tap water with a drop of Superthrive added. Got an email from Rinoa today, my seeds were sent last Fri. so they'll be here in a week or so--last batch until next spring and warmer temps!

Mike in MN

• 11otis
    10 years ago

Hi Mike: I have a question how you use the Superthrive. I understand it is very potent. This is the water to soak the seeds in, correct? How much water for a drop of Superthrive? Thanks.
    O.

• parodise
    10 years ago

Rennet,
    your 2-week old seedlings look very similar to my presumably "1-year-olds" I bought recently:)
    Your plants are very impressive, thank you for sharing!
    Lena

• jv44
    10 years ago

otis11, I use those little clear plastic cups that they give you your meds in when you're in the hospital to soak my seeds--maybe 2/3 full of warm water, and add 1 drop of Superthrive. The cup itself only holds about 1 fluid oz.

Mike in MN

• 11otis
    10 years ago

THX, Mike.

• michelle2013
    10 years ago

mike, rinoa also mailed my seeds last friday. hoping to receive it soon. i talked to a grower in my country and heard some discouraging tale, she purchased 2000 seeds online, she got only 600 to sprout :( hope this would be my thing lol

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Michelle2013,
    You should very good germination from seeds you get from Rinoa. I have.
    She is trying very hard to build a good reputation for quality plants and seeds.
    I believe she has done this already.
    It is a sad thing for people as you speak of buying all those seeds and getting so few to germinate. This is topic of conversation on a few groups that I frequent. The concern is not just germination rate, it is finding reputable sellers of seed that actually send you seeds from the pod parents that you carefully selected.
    I am sure most people realize that they are not going to get a clone of pod parents with seeds, but hopefully something similar in one characteristic.
    One person purchased 2000+ seeds of a few different hybrids and they got
    a few mixed colors and all the rest "Pink".
    Rick

• teyo
    10 years ago

i remember Chris Durham once told a story how he was asked to sell a thousand of his cheapest most low quality seeds by a guy. He arranged the sale, only to later find the guy selling those same seeds through ebay with various shiny stolen pictures of hybrids.
    Germination rates are another thing, it depends largely upon the method of sowing, and some crosses seem to just have a lower germination rate. i've noticed this with a few crosses by Ko, and i've seen other people get similar problems. but i don't think that's weird, since new hybrids are genetically quite different from the wild type it is not strange to find their germination rates affected too.

• michelle2013
    10 years ago

yes i agree with you both. Maybe she missed some steps and the reason why she got low germination rate. I agree that it's very imprtant to get seeds from a reputable one. th eone who gives us seeds with the right advertised color. pink adenium is very common in my country, they use that in grafted adeniums. i live in a very hot country and am hoping i will be successful in this thingy :) still waiting for my seeds to arrive. will post pics once i get started, thanks âÂÂ¥

• michelle2013
    10 years ago

hi again, i received my seeds already and sow them. some sprouted while a few didnt. anyways, it's my first time and am happy with the result. however, today i got disapponited coz i made a ig mistake..i placed may almost 200 seedlings in a place covered with plastic because i was thinking that it will be better for them to grow faster but to my dismay it ended up burning the seedlings...the temp was hot and the fact that it was covered made it unbearable for them..can i still salvaged the seedlings? will post pictures tomorrow..thanks

• rooftopbklyn (zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Rennet,

Just a quick note to thank you for this thread. It is what initially inspired me to buy some Adenium seeds and give this a try. My oldest seedling is still less than 2 months and it's already been a very rewarding experience.

Daniel

• ElliotSwan
    10 years ago

beautiful adeniums!! i have started growing some from seed too. hope they turn out as lovely as yours :!