Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tedb4

New Plants from Rinoa-

tedb4
10 years ago

Just wanted to say that after recommendations from people on the board here I went ahead and posted an order with Rinoa- very professional service, good correspondence, better shipping prices than anywhere in Thailand, and best of all- nice clean looking plants!

Here's a picture about 20 days after arrival... will add more photos after I get some blooms...

2 with flower buds already...

Comments (34)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

tedb4,
    That will be a nice collection of plants. Rinoa is such a gracious person and very helpful. Have contacted for future order, but have not done so yet.
    If it is not too presumptuous of me. Which forms did you get?
    Hope to see some flowers from them.
    All the best ,
    Rick

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Ted, you go over board.....congrats....
    Nice looking plants.....
    Happy for you.
    Already with buds....wow....please keep the pictures coming.
    Marie

This post was edited by ltran54 on Tue, May 28, 13 at 6:00

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Rick

Happy to share. These are the ones I picked out...

SpindriftâÂÂâÂÂ
    MiracleâÂÂâÂÂ
    Easy BreezyâÂÂâÂÂ
    SweetieâÂÂâÂÂ
    Twinkle TwinkleâÂÂ
    OiranâÂÂâÂÂâÂÂ
    Sweety Fairyâ âÂÂ
    Violet CrescentâÂÂ
    GorgeousâÂÂâÂÂ
    Yellow EmperorâÂÂ
    New YellowâÂÂâÂÂ
    Black Belle IIâÂÂâÂÂ

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marie-

Maybe a bit overboard :), but here in Abu Dhabi not a lot else grows well (well Plumeria do well but take a lot of space), so it's a desert rose garden for me (or 2)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

They look great, hope they flourish for you, please post pics of their progress!

They should not be short of some rays given your location Ted, so please send me some of your excess sun....just a bit would do!
    Gill UK

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gill-

I'd be happy to get rid of some of the heat and humidity - over 40 today with 90% + humidity - good for desert roses but not for people..

First Rinoa bloom (New Yellow)will probably open today... almost there..

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

First flower is a bit misformed but the color is very nice...

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Ted that is going to be a very beautiful plant when in full leaf with those flowers out. Blooms probably a bit malformed due to changes it under took in shipping and changes possibly.
    Nice one.
    Rick

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Ted, as long as you have yellow in the blooms....you good. Yellow is the rare color for adenium.

Marie

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Quite a bit of change for a week...

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The third flower is the charm - first 2 were misformed...

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Looking great! As they recover from shock and adjust to their new home the blooms will be better.

Kirk

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

tedb,
    Do you have them in full sun (your sun I imagine is very intense) right away after potting up?
    Rick

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Rick -

No I put them in the shade for about a weak until I started to see leaves on most of them - one is just now starting to show signs that leaves will come.

Even in full light- they're shaded from direct sunlight for about half the day, but it is still very hot and bright. I water pretty much every day and have never had problems...

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Thank you tedb,
    Looking forward to seeing more of your blooms. I have some that I have not seen their flowers yet. Hoping this summer.
    Rick

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Your plants look great. I don't see a website for Rinoa? How did you know what to order and where?

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Ladylotus, I send you a GW mail with Rinoa's info. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the info in here. Let me know if you got the GW mail.

Kirk

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Kirk,

I see your email but it says ...
    (PLEASE NOTE: The member responding to your post has chosen not to reveal his or her email address. Therefore, you cannot reply to this message via email.)

I did try responding. Not sure if you got my email or not.

Thank you.

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

That's weird. I know it was enabled at some point. I dislike GW mail. I'll send you another quick one with my email in it.

Kirk

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If you send me your email I can also forward a recent " catalog"....

• jv44
    10 years ago

Some beautiful plants there Ted! I just received Rinoa's 2013 catalog of grafted adeniums and will most likely place a small order for 4 plants in the next couple of days. Has anybody from the US ordered plants from her who can tell me what documentation is needed other than the phytosanitary certificate--like an import permit or something? Thanks in advance for anybody who can help!

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

JV44,
    I know that someone from this group was in on a group purchase from Rinoa.
    I believe that they must have received an import permit as she mentioned that the plant inspection office remarked on how clean and well processed they where.
    Rick

• mikeb04
    10 years ago

I ordered three plants from Rinoa last month and that was all there was to it. No permits, just placed the order and the plants were delivered within a week without any issues.

Mike

• jv44
    10 years ago

Thanks Rick and Mike. I checked the US Gov. site about import permits for plants.....it appears that if you're importing 12 or fewer plants then you don't need a permit, just a phytosanitary certificate. Like you, Mike, I plan on ordering only 3 or 4 plants from Rinoa, so I won't need a permit. Now my only question is how Rinoa accepts payment--I have a PayPal account or I could send via Western Union.....there is no mention (that I can see) in her 2013 catalog of how payments are made.

Mike in MN

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

She accepts PayPal - very easy...

• jv44
    10 years ago

Thanks again, tedb4--she emailed me and sent a PayPal invoice, so plants are on their way! She's got a great selection of very nice grafted adenium flowers for decent prices...even has the bloom size noted. I wish I had a couple hundred $$ to spend, but like most people I have to stay within my budget.

The only hitch in the process--and this was not Rinoa's fault--PayPal gave her my OLD address from when I first started my PayPal account.....despite the fact that I've made several purchases on Ebay recently with PayPal that were all shipped to my current address. I haven't lived at that old address since 2004!

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Ted, all my purchases this year had already bloomed. A couple I cut back but others I did not. However, all are already putting out a second flush of bloom buds. Hopefully yours will do the same for you. I'm guessing in about 3 weeks or so I'll have lots of new bloom pictures to share with everyone.

Yours are looking great and seem to be extremely happy in their location and in your care.

Kirk

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Ted, because you didn't have date set on your pictures so I don't know how far apart, but looking at your first picture and last picture.
    One with no leaves and one with many healthy leaves.

Your plants are looking great.
    Marie

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These arrived on May 7th, so this photo is about 40 days after potting....

They do seem to be very healthy and getting bigger... no complaints there :)

Any recommendations for fertiliser to encourage blooms? I've read that too much Nitrogen can actually inhibit them

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seems to be time for lots of growth - but past the blooming time, may have to wait a while for these... still all are healthy and doing well...

The variety of leaf types is pretty phenomenal...

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Ted, don't worry. I got 4 plants last year about this time when they already pass blooming time. Those 4 are giving me so much joy this year with each heavy blooming.
    They need strong roots first. You are good, they look great.
    Marie

This post was edited by ltran54 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 8:08

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Ted,
    Your plants are looking so wonderful and I to think that the different leaf types are interesting. Have noticed the long thin leaves in particular on one of yours.
    On the second shelf in the middle with pink label in front. Which one is this?
    You are going to have such a display when they all perform for you.
    Rick

• tedb4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Rick -

Thanks - they sure are coming along and doing well overall. The plant you're talking about with the long crinkly leaves is Sweetie