Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19802998

Winter sowings update

User
10 years ago

Hello all,
Here are some photos of the current status of my winter sowings previously posted on this forum. The first pic is looking through the door of my tiny greenhouse. The larger plants to the rear are up to 6 years old but the smaller plants in the 3 inch pots are from sowings October to February.

Comments (13)

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The next pic looking to the left, my seedlings started under lights.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looking to the right more started during the winter.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally, a closer pic of the more mature plants which are usually in bloom by now but delayed by the exceptionally cold weather.
    Happy growing.
    Brian UK.

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

They all look great! And your plumeria is doing very well too. I'm loving your really fat adenium to the far right in the last picture.

Kirk

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

All looking so good Brian. Nice greenhouse and maticulously clean. Will be quite a show when your plants start throwing out blooms this year.
    Nice Frangipani also. Does it give off it's wonderful scent and fill the greenhouse?
    Rick

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kirk,
    The really fat adenium is the first I ever raised from seed in 07, The seed was obtained in the summer of 06 but not sown for a full 12 months, I have always called it an arabicum but not 100% sure, arabicum seed was sent.
    Thanks Rick,
    Hopefully a number will flower for me, so I can select out the duplicates and pass them on to other growers. Keeping them over next winter will be a challenge when they are all bigger!. The plumeria is strongly scented but not so pleasant on first opening, but this improves a lot as the flower ages. I think this plant will re-write the rules for plumeria growing, it flowers every year with little sun. I believe it belongs to the same plant family.
    Happy growing,
    Brian UK.

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Brian.....your plants are beautiful and healthy too.

Marie

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hello Brian, great to see your plants are doing so well for you, well done! They look really strong and healthy. Looks like you are going to be really busy when they all get some size on them.
    Is your plumie a Celadine? It looks very much like the one my Ozzie Aunt gave me some cuttings of on our first visit to Oz in 2002. I got several to root and one flowered, it smelt amazing and filled the room with scent. Celadines are the forerunners of modern varieties and ages a go were known as 'Graveyard Yellows' as they were planted at gravesides to mask the bad odors from such places. Sadly I have none left now. Sorry to go off topic, I do apologise.

Back on track....my DR's are doing OK, slowly growing away. The '3 big guys' have been very slow to leaf out fully for some reason after their first dormant season...any ideas? At last the sun is shining and hopefully things will pick up for us now. Can't think its June this weekend, this rubbish weather seems to just go on and on. Our plants really do need some good warmth...and so do we eh!

Maybe I've answered my question, it could be down to lack of sun and heat do you think?
    Gill UK

• averil
    10 years ago

Wow Brian, you have really super plants there. The winter ones have grown so well and the big ones are absolute corkers!!. Are you leaving yours overnight in the greenhouse yet?. I'm putting mine into the greenhouse during the day and bringing them in at night. I'm wondering if its safe to leave them in the greenhouse overnight
    Regards
    Averil uk

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Averil,
    I have been leaving my plants in the greenhouse for about a month now but heating it at night, and during the day as well if no sun. I am working on the basis that light is just as important as heat, and we are already in the middle of the year! I know this is a risky strategy with the weather this year, but I don't want to lose what I gained over the winter. A few of the plants went dormant with the shock but most carried on growing and I have not had any losses.
    Best of luck with yours,
    Brian UK.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Gill,
    Sun and heat, the two most difficult things, at least for us !
    As in my previous message to Averil I took a chance and left the plants in the greenhouse to get all light possible. I have come to believe that they photosynthesise through the caudex as I have noticed a number of plant "green up" on the caudex during the winter when in reasonable light, so even without leaves normal processes are still going on. I know this isn't very scientific, just observation. Also some more mature plants without leaves were not sprouting in the House in a south facing window but started when placed in the greenhouse even though colder at night. Perhaps light and heat during the day compensates for colder nights to some extent. If only they could speak.
    By the way, the plumeria is "Jacks Yellow".
    Happy growing,
    Brian UK.

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Brian,

Your plants are impressive. Everything looks so pristine and healthy. Very nice.

Is that Epiphyllum 'Padre'. I just began my obsession for Epi's and have a dozen or so now. I also have a bid on ebay for a cutting from Padre. I LOVE these plants and cannot wait to get more of them.

Ugh...between adeniums and epiphyllums I am going to fill up every nook and cranny of space I have.

It has been so cold, rainy and overcast with clouds that my adeniums are struggling to put out leaves. This is the strangest spring I have ever experienced and I have to be so cautious when watering all my other plants so that I don't get too much water on my still almost leafless adeniums. I have always had leaves by now and am getting a bit worried.

Thank you so much for sharing your photos. I am VERY much impressed with your collection.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ladylotus,
    Thank you for those kind words. The Epi is E. Phyllanthoides and many more flowers have opened since that photo.
    Brian UK.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County