Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

What Is This Split?

elucas101
11 years ago

I received a lovely plant but it has these 2 splits - what are they??? Is that normal for a plant to do that??? I was told the plant was a seedling, not grafted, so that shouldn't be from any manipulation of the plant. It's at the base of the 2 main branches.

{{gwi:343635}}

Back of plant for a view of where they are:

{{gwi:343638}}

What do you think???

Comments (24)

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

In mho, it looks like a scar from pruning, a bit on weird side but with time it should heal.

Aggie

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Agree it may be a bad pruning scar or where overly long branches have snapped off as it looks so ragged I cant believe anyone would prune that roughly. I would be very wary of rain or any moisture getting into it while it's still so rough and open. Hopefully as Aggie says, it will heal better given time. They're both going to be weak points, especially the left one, so I would watch that the branches which appear on the long side don't put extra pressure on it causing them to split the joints open as the branches get longer/heavier with leaves/flowers.
    Lovely colour and nice caudex too...hope all goes well for it.
    Gill from the UK.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you to both of you for your response. To be honest, I'm kind of bummed out about it. I've written the seller to see what her response is, unfortunately I haven't heard back yet. She has some other really nice looking plants but I wouldn't buy from her again if she doesn't respond soon, and scared to risk something weird like this again. I also haven't left her feedback yet, so I guess there's that.

But I feel like an otherwise gorgeous plant is kind of...marred? Ruined would be a little strong, but with those weak points how will the plant support it's growth? Not to mention, they are UGLY. You can't really see them from the front, which is good, but still. :(

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Elucas, with leaves, by end of the summer, the scars won't be noteable. My Desert rose had scars too, but I didn't point out and nobody knew it.
    If you love it and care for it, it will give you a full head of blooms soon.
    marie

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I agree that's it's a ragged scar. Possibly the branches were snapped off. If you are concerned about water settling into the cracks (which I don't think is likely) you could always put a layer of caulk on to smooth it out. I know several people that use it on their plumeria branches after pruning. There's a silicon caulk made for bathrooms that contains an anti-mildew additive.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Marie :) I do love it and I know you're right, I guess I was just surprised since it wasn't in the photos, and I have never seen that before. I love the blooms and the caudex so I guess I should just not focus on it, as long as the plant is healthy.

karyn, that's a great idea about the caulk, thank you!

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finally heard back from the seller, she didn't explain the splits but she did apologize - she suggested that I cut the plant below the splits and that it would make a fuller plant. Would any of you recommend doing that?

She said if I didn't like that suggestion she would offer me a refund, but I don't know that I want a refund, I just want the plant to be pretty and healthy.

• johnsonm08
    11 years ago

You can remove the dead wood from the center of the split and it will speed up the healing process. Remove the jagged dried wood till the scar is smooth and you just barely touch the live tissue. I use a "u" shaped wood carving chisel --it needs to be very sharp. The plant will roll in the new growth and it will look like your lower y fork in no time. Dont let water sit on the new wound. Bonsai growers do this all the time. ** Dont cut your self.....

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Emily,

You can do as others mentioned and use the Caulk to seal.

OR... You can do as john-- mentioned. I do like this idea if you have the proper tools and can keep it dry. if you dont want to get that involved with fixing the split. You can always just seal it so the water and moisture stays out. You dont want any rot to form in that area.

When i cut my DR's back as well as my Plumeria, I cut and wait for an hour then i seal with waterproof wood glue. This works very well for me and i like the look. I have used the Tub and tile sealant before in the tan color and that works tooo! One time i used clear and it looked terrible. I wouldnt do that again.

It all depends if you like this tree. I think that once it leafs out and grows for you, it will slowly clear up for you. (Callas over) Trees with leaves can hide most issues, so dont worry to much. We all have places on our trees that only we stare at!!! : ) Others just look at the overall beauty of the tree! Enjoy your new DR!!!

Take Care,

Laura

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I wouldn't trim the ragged splits. They are too close to the caudex and the possibility of allowing rot to set in is too great. Give it time and I think they'll smooth out on their own or at least won't be as noticable. You can use one of the sealers mentioned. They come in a light brown color which blends well with the plant. If you like the plant I'd just keep it as is or you can ask the seller for a replacement or a refund. If it was me I'd just keep it and give it time. It's not like I'm going to show my plants.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much for the replies everyone, I do appreciate the wonderful advice! I wouldn't have a clue without you. I want to keep the plant, so I'll do one of the things you all recommended. I'm also glad someone mentioned tan caulk because I spaced out and probably wouldn't have thought of that. Hahahaha! And caulk wise, isn't it funny how something clear can be such a disaster?!!

• tolip
    11 years ago

I hope your plant has improved and the splits have healed. But I believe that your plant is a grafted plant. You can clearly see the V graft. You might like to check the lowest branch to see if it is part of the root stock or if it is above the graft and part of the scion.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I know that I need glasses but I don't see a V graft scar. Where do you see it? I see what might possibly be a flat graft scar on the left in the lower pic. I believe the same branch is on the right in the upper pic.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hi Karyn, I can see the 'scar' you refer too....and also on closer inspection the possiblility of a 'v' scar too....if that is what it is. It runs from under the lowest branch on the left, dips down slightly, then curves up to a higher point on the right hand side...see it??
    Gill from the UK.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hi Karyn, I can see the 'scar' you refer too....and also on closer inspection the possiblility of a 'v' scar too....if that is what it is. It runs from under the lowest branch on the left, dips down slightly, then curves up to a higher point on the right hand side...see it??
    Gill from the UK.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Gill from the UK.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Gill I can't see it but I really do need glasses. I just refuse to wear them. Thank goodness for my GPS. I have a difficult time reading street signs and with the GPS I just have to listen. My hearing is still ok. lol

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

It is interesting. At first look, I thought that it was just as mentioned previous about a rough or unclean graft jog on two top lateral forks, one double and other triple.
    When I look at first photo, it has an odd lateral branch 'Y' (above base of caudex) which has a separation between the two branches, similar to a multi- cleft graft that you see being sold. They are usually of two different flowers though. Not the same two. Not sure what this one is?
    The flat graft scions usually heal up flat and shrink slightly as the plant grows older, not with the rough and somewhat green appearance that shows between the two lateral Y's.
    Just what I see.
    Rick

• tolip
    11 years ago

I have highlighted the v/cleft graft in red and the lowest branch that I mentioned earlier in blue. It's partly obscured and not clear if that is part of the rootstock. Please compare to the original photo.

At least that is what I think I see.

• tolip
    11 years ago

I thought we are all here to learn about adeniums? And nobody has an opinion about what I pointed out?

I'm about to feel like I should just sneak in and read only.

Maybe I should just do that.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Nobody is ignoring you. The forum is pretty slow this time of year. I see where you marked the caudex. I'm not convinced the red line indicates a cleft graft and think it might just be some trauma that has callused over. The small branch on the left looks a bit more suspicious but I still think the one that looks most like a graft (flat method) is the left larger branch, just above your blue mark.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Hi Toplin,
    I hope you do not feel slighted, as your thoughts and opinion is as important as any of us.
    I read your previous post and did not respond. Not because I disagreed or agreed, but I I felt that we or at least I was getting off the topic originally asked. Where these splits normal, etc?
    I hope that you continue posting. No disrespect intended.
    Rick

• tolip
    11 years ago

I only brought this up as I felt that the OP did not even know that this was a grafted plant. Thought that was important.

Many aspects in gardening. Can't learn it all in one topic. Sorry for going off topic.

See you guys around.

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

To me the graft looks like where the two big branches split. Like they are both flat grafts. But I'm still training my eye on various graft scars as I didn't know you could graft adeniums until the middle of this year. The spot marked in red I thought might be just a random scar but I could be wrong.

Kirk

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions