Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heart_in_bloom

Britta's adeniums

heart_in_bloom
9 years ago

The plants I show in this thread are 3 year old seedplants.

They were planted in plastic cups untill April this year simply because I hurt my shoulder ( 2 operations , long story ... ) and were not able to pot up earlier. No one else in this household have the "fingerspitzgefuhl" to do such work, I'm afraid... So they were in these cups that cracked as the claudexes grew and it's a miracle they survived, really. After the potting up and rising they have really thrived.

If / when they would ( ever ) bloom I had planned to show pictures here in the forum. There are no signs of buds yet. But I have been sort of challenged ... lol ... to post pictures anyhow. So here we go ...

Oh, no blooms on the Adeniums, so I took them outside to get some blooms in my pictures that way ... ;-)

Here's one "placed" just where a white Rhododendron meets a pink one.

Comments (13)

• heart_in_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here's one with Clematis montana in the background.
    The flowers on this climber are soft pink, they came out too white in the picture ...

This post was edited by heart_in_bloom on Fri, May 30, 14 at 11:57

• heart_in_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

With the last of the spring flowering bulbs ...

• heart_in_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

With the pansies by our front door ...

• heart_in_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Pictures above are perhaps not the best for viewing the Adeniums. So I took another photo of the 4 above in more nutral surondings ... A Saint paulia house plant for scale ( and blooms , can't help myself ... ).

The 4 plants here are among those that I have the highest hopes for when it comes to blooming this year.

• heart_in_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Most of my plants were pruned quite drastically when I potted up and raised them. I shaded the claudexes from the sun with plastic cups that were cut for the purpose.

Here is a tray of pruned plants in early April.

• heart_in_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And the same plants today.

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Nice looking plants! Love the short fat round one the most.

Kirk

• User
    9 years ago

Britta,
    Your plants look very healthy, they should develop well during the summer. Are they regular pink obesum or from seeds of named varieties ?
    Brian UK

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

Britta, your plants look so very healthy. Nice job growing them on. I hope you get blooms soon.

• heart_in_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kirk and Ladylotus ,
    thanks for Your comments ! :-)

Brian,
    they are from various named varieties, if Ebay seller is to be trusted ...

When they were planted in the small plastic cups I had them marked with the name of the mother plant, but I did not bother with marking them when I lifted and potted up.

They "are what they are", and nice shape and a healthy look is the most important thing for me. And a seed plant seldom is exactly like it's mother anyway ...

BUT there is quite a lot of variation in the shapes of the leaves.

AND more important; there is variation in the pigmentation of the leaves. Some have red veins and red "backside" of the leaves, I would think they would give dark red or maroon coloured blooms.

Some are bluish green.

And some have a very light ( clean ) green color with no red pigmentation at all, I would think they would give yellow or white flowers. My theories here are based on experience with other plant genuses.

• heart_in_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, and I also have a question ...

I was looking at those that I have the highest hopes for ... Those in picture 1 to 5 in this thread.

Should 3 of them have been potted up once more this spring / early summer ?

When I see them now, both in pictures and in real life, I wonder if the pots have become too small already ...

Britta ( in Norway )

This post was edited by heart_in_bloom on Sat, May 31, 14 at 10:00

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

Lovely plants Britta! They are well grown and look very healthy.

They seem to be growing well in the pots you have them in, you could repot and raise them to expose the caudex some more, if you'd like. I would probably just leave them for now.

Mark

• heart_in_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mark,
    yes, I think I will take your advice and leave them for now, as I'm afraid to disturb those potential blooms ...

Britta ( in Norway )