Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heart_in_bloom

A. arabicum from seed, how to choose ?

heart_in_bloom
9 years ago

Here are my newest seedplants. All sown one week ago.

The smallest ones are hybrids that are supposed to give double blooms, well, we'll see in a couple of years ( or more ) ...

The biggest are A. arabicums.

The germination rate on these seeds were too good ... Yes, that is possible ... :-(

I will pot all the potential doubles. But when it comes to the arabicums, I will have to choose some and throw away the rest.

So which should I keep ?

Some are very yellowish, are they albinos or an interesting variety ?

( The seed packet was said to contain seeds from 4 varieties of arabicums. )

Comments (6)

• heart_in_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here a closer look of some of the arabicums. The green colour on those that are green is darker ( better ) in real life. The yellowish ones are more "as is".

Any comments, to how to choose ?

Britta ( in Norway )

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Hi Britta,
    It is a dilemma, isn't it especially if you have limited space to give them the light requirements. Four small seed flats becomes a huge amount of newly potted seedlings.
    Not sure if there are albino Arabicums, but why not. Do not usually survive.
    I would keep a bit longer in those trays and see if then it makes it a little easier. I used to keep all, but I cull the weak ones as they usually do not add up to much.
    The Arabicums, I am told by many that have been raising them from seed for many years. They all are very unique in characteristics even from same seed pod as are Obesum's. Do not always fatten up early on.
    Rick

• User
    9 years ago

Britta,
    WOW, you have grown a small forest, and they all look very well. Best of luck as they develop, and keep us posted.
    Brian UK.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hi Britta and well done in creating another Norwegian forest, lol! You have had great results haven't you?
    I would just make sure they are really close to that window to get plenty of light if you are leaving them in the trays for a while longer as the soil level is a bit on the low side... they can soon stretch out a bit tooooooooooooooo much! Or even rotate the trays if you can't get them in a singe row up to the glass. You will have fun trying to chose which are keepers. I would try some of the smaller ones too as they could well be of a different kind to the bigger guys...remember, big is not always best. Good luck.

Gill UK

• heart_in_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rick, Brian and Gill,
    thanks for Your comments and advice.

Last evening I cut holes in plastic cups to prepare for the potting of my little darlings ...
    - Other People knit while watching the telly, I "handle my 160 plastic cups" ... lol ...

I will be starting the potting up later today, after having had a long inspirtational rounde of reading ( and some commenting ) here in the forum this morning.

Britta ( in Norway )

This post was edited by heart_in_bloom on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 5:40

• heart_in_bloom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gill wrote " the soil level is a bit on the low side".

And I was thinking about it as I did the potting up of the seedlings today ...
    My first picture in this thread should really come with a W*A*R*N*I*N*G ...

One should not leave seedlings like this for any lenght of time ...
    The soil dries up very fast, and it's also very easy to overwater.

SO DON'T SOW LIKE THIS UNLESS YOU INTEND TO POT UP
    THE SEEDLINGS EARLY ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Even though I was aware of this, I managed to overwater yesterday. The soil in the boxes was pretty dry, so I decided to give the seedlings a good shower ( used a mistsprayer ) as a preparation for the potting today.

- Well they got too wet, and I had no choice but to do ALL the potting today ... ;-)

( My reason for sowing like this is that it gives the seedplants, that germinates first, some room to grow with the lids of the boxes on, while one waits for the rest of the seeds to germinate. When the lids are taken off, the air around the seedlings will not be as humid, and the seedcoats dry and can "stick" to the top of the seedlings ... )

And guess what, I ended up with potting up ALL the seedlings.
    I could not bring myself to throw away any of them. And right now I'm very happy with that solution !

:-)

Britta ( in Norway )