Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

Show Your Arabicums!

elucas101
11 years ago

I love the obesum, but I also really love the arabicum as well. I just purchased this arabicum, and before the post office beats it up and it goes into shock I thought I'd share a picture!

It says it's 9" above the soil line, 3.5" caudex, 8 tips and unknown flower color since it's a seedling.

{{gwi:343924}}

Show us YOUR arabicums!

Comments (26)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

How nice to see an Arabicum like that! I hope my seedlings grow on to look like that at some point but at the moment they are still VERY small. The seeds were planted a year ago I guess, they are the 'Black Pearl' variety.
    Gill from the UK.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Gill! It looked like a nice evenly branched top and I like the shape so I think it will be a very nice plant. It's my first arabicum and it should be here tomorrow I think!

I planted 15 arabicum seeds last night, they say they're called "Night Fork"? It was really hard finding arabicum seeds compared to obesum which are plentiful. The Black Pearl variety looks very interesting, I can't find any seeds from US sellers yet though.

Good luck with your seedlings, I know they're in loving hands with you! I'm going seedling crazy right now, it's just too much fun!!!

• johnsonm08
    11 years ago

This one wasny labeled an Aradicum, but I think it might be. Let me know what you think. The leaves are fuzzy on the back side. I planted 5 of the Night Fork seeds on friday, and 4 are already up.
    Mike
    {{gwi:342127}}

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Elucas, your arabicum is very cute.
    Johnsonm, I think your is obesum.
    I will show my arabicum tonight if I have a chance.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

In my opinion I too would say it's an obesum mainly because it has slim leaves, mine are broader and thick almost leathery in texture with no fuzz underneath. Also the caudex shape is not quite right for an arabicum, there's a subtle difference. Just my thoughts you understand :)
    Coincidentally, the other variety I planted at the same time as my 'Black Pearls' but none germinated were called 'Desert Night Fork' perhaps this was the name you were searching for Elucas?
    Gill from the UK.

• plumeriafl
    11 years ago

Here's one of my arabicums, about 6 years old, from seed.

{{gwi:343926}}

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Wow, plumeriafl, your arabicum is very very petty.....Beautiful pink with round patel...

Here is my arabicum, also 6 years old and only bloom with regular pink...nothing special...

{{gwi:343927}}

{{gwi:343928}}

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OH WOW!!! I love both of those, VERY cool!!! I'm fascinated by their shapes. Gill, yes, Desert Night Fork could very easily be it.

So far no sprouts from my seeds, it's still early though. I bought these from a different seller than my super sprouts (obesum) that were up in just a few days. Would most of you say the germination time is similar in both?

It's very exciting to think I could have a plant as beautiful as those in 6 years!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Those are three beautiful arabicums so thanks both of you for showing us, they look really good. I like their wide bases.

I have found that my arabicum seeds germinated in a similar length of time to obesums...four days in my case.

Yes I too find it very exciting that I could also get a plant like that after 6 years....but I doubt it very much indeed!!
    Gill from the UK.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Plumeriafl, what variety is that?

Where are you all getting your seeds? They aren't easy to find, especially compared to obesum. I've found only a couple of US sellers. The US sellers I can find only have 1-2 varieties. One variety is inexpensive, the other 2 are $10 US for 5 seeds! The Adenium Store in the UK has a nice variety, but I'm still looking at almost $8 US for 5 seeds.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My new Arabicum finally arrived today and it's so darling!The post office was 2 days late delivering, and since they beat up my last package and then delivered this one late, they are not my favorites right now. I'm just glad to have finally goteen it, it's a very nice plant and it was packaged well. The leaves feel so velvety!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Ooooooh, new plants=pictures, we need pictures!! :)
    Gill from the UK.

• plumeriafl
    11 years ago

elucas101, I don't know the parentage of that arabicum, but I like the dark branches it has. There are a couple reputable seed sellers in Thailand (and many which are not reputable). I have purchased arabicum, obesum, and thai socotranum seed from Thailand in the past and been pleased with the results.

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm finally able to post some pictures - it looks very similar to the one the seller posted but now it's at home with me! Although it may look very over potted, the roots are actually quite long and I wanted to give it room to grow. It's starting to show some shock / yellow leaves.

{{gwi:342676}}

A view of the branching:
    {{gwi:342677}}

I love it!

And here's a picture of my seedlings - Arabicum on the left and Obesum on the right. The Obesum are about 11 days old and the Arabicums are maybe a week? You can see how much fatter the Arabicum seedlings are! So cute!!!

{{gwi:343929}}

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My Arabicum seedlings are doing great! They are actually bigger and stronger looking than my Obesum's which are younger! I'll try to get some pictures up really soon. I'm also happy to report that my Arabicum plant hasn't had any additional yellowing or leaf drop from shipping shock - I am really impressed with the plant and the seller's growing and packaging.

• pcput
    11 years ago

elucas101, You got a whole flock of them little swans. Congrats, they look great. Peg

• nikki702
    11 years ago

Here are my babies, I planted 5 seeds on 22nd May and 4 germinated :-)

• johnsonm08
    11 years ago

Here are a couple of new ones, they are only about 3-4 in tall.
    Black Giant

• johnsonm08
    11 years ago

Black Knight.

• johnsonm08
    11 years ago

This one is listed as A. arabicum 'Tiny Leaf'. Its grafted so I'm not sure, but the branching is so tiny and fine --I love it.
    Mike

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nikki702, those babies look SO green and healthy!!! Great job!

johnsonm08, those little ones are incredibly cute!!! I love the shape of each one, so unique! Did you grow those from seed?

• elucas101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finally got a bloom on my Arabicum!
    {{gwi:343930}}

• averil
    11 years ago

Elucas, they are absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the pics

• jandey1
    11 years ago

That is adorable, E! Love the flower shape and fresh pink color.

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Emily look at all those healthy seedlings!! I folded and get another heat mat which means time to give DR's a second try. You may have to email me your tips, gonna have to hop on the research train.

Wendy

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Emily..

Just beautiful!! I love the new arrivals...

Congratulations on the blooms too!

You are doing a great job on these beauties..

I just love all of the great pics..

Plumeriafl...BEAUTIFUL!!!

Nikki great pics.. love them!!

johnsonm08 Love the look of your tree.. OHH MYY! love the branching on that beauty!

Love all of the pics everyone...

Take care,

Laura