Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adenium1949

Blooming today

adenium1949
9 years ago

Hello all,
Here is my first bloom of (almost) summer, the variety is Miss Venezuela, not a double or triple but definitely a favourite. The cluster has 20 buds, I hope they all stay on.
Brian UK.

Comments (16)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

congratulations Brian!!!!

Beautiful....

Laura

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Exceptionally beautiful bloom, Brian. Good size flower. Thanks for sharing.
    Rick

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Nice pink.
    Marie

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

Lovely bloom !

Where do you grow the plant ? Windowsill, greenhouse, or what ?

I'm especially courious since you're in the UK. That's not "too far" from here. ( I'm in the southern part of Norway ... )

Britta

This post was edited by heart_in_bloom on Wed, May 28, 14 at 19:06

• adenium1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Britta,
    This plant is kept on a south facing windowsill that receives all available sun. Most of my plants are now in the greenhouse, but I find that some plants do better in the house, this being one of them. I think our location is right on the edge of viability for these plants, they can be hard work ! Good luck with your plants.
    Brian UK.

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

Thanks for Your answer, Brian.

The "on the edge" plants are "bonus plants" really. :-)

We have the Rhododendrons, the Clematises, the roses, the perennials, the spring flowering bulbs and all the plants that just "do their thing" without any fuss.

- And gardens here ( on the coast a bit north of Bergen ) have been wonderful this year, because we have had such an early spring.

AND THEN we have the BONUS PLANTS like Adenium that challenge us ... I'm trying to find out what is needed HERE to make the Adeniums bloom.

I read in Norwegian and Sweedish house plants forums though, and see from photoes there that it is possible ...
    So I just give them as much sun as possible and hope for the best.

One question; do you turn your plants or do you let the same side face the sun all the time ?

• adenium1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Britta,
    Nice to have your thoughts. Do I turn my plants? I tend not to, unless the plant is growing very lop sided, I just feel that they prefer consistency. Usually they just orientate their leaves to face the sun and grow their stems straight. I also feel that facing the same direction helps to form buds (and keep them). I have several plants forming buds at the moment and they are definitely not moving. Share some pictures if you can, perhaps on another thread, and we may find where the most northerly plants are?
    Brain UK.

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

Hi Brian,

You say : "I also feel that facing the same direction helps to form buds (and keep them). I have several plants forming buds at the moment and they are definitely not moving."

And it's very interesting to hear your opinion.

I have also decided not to turn the Adeniums, at least not turn the biggest ones that I hope will produce blooms.

About pictures, I was hoping to show pictures of blooms, but I can't see any sign of buds yet, so maybe I should just post some of them "as is" ...

Britta ( in Norway )

This post was edited by heart_in_bloom on Thu, May 29, 14 at 17:53

• adenium1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Britta,
    Looking forward to seeing your pictures. I hope the method works for you.
    Brian UK.

• adenium1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello all,
    Just an update on this plant. I just had to take more photos of these blooms as the sun was actually shining for once, I think the sun really brings out the beauty. This won't be news to members in warm sunny regions of course. So here goes, a couple of photos in our weak sunshine, they cheer me up on cold rainy days, enjoy.
    Brian UK.

• adenium1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another.
    Brian UK

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Looking great! Keep the pictures coming.

Kirk

• averil
    9 years ago

Brian, absolutely gorgeous plant, as usual. I'm going to take on the tip you gave Britta and not turn or move mine and see how I get on. Not a bud in sight here

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

Brian,
    exquisite blooms on that one , love the shades of pink and the darker pink center and edge of petals !

Is this a grafted plant or a seedplant ?

I know I have asked you before where your plants are placed, and the answer was southfacing window and greenhouse.

BUT have you EVER tried them outside in warm summer weather for periods ?

I'm wondering if I could bring my 3-year olds outside when the weather forcast predict warm sunny weather, to produce those buds that I long for ...

I know that those who grow their plant in warm climate can have leaf burn when they move their plants outside, but I can't "afford" that on my plants ...
    Full sun in Northern Europe isn't the same as full sun nearer to the Equator, though ...

Britta ( in Norway )

• adenium1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kirk and Averil,
    As for not moving the plants, I feel that when a plant orientates its leaves towards the direction of the sunlight it is because it is getting the maximum benefit, seems logical, so if they are moved they will lose that benefit and suffer a setback. This probably won't be so important in many regions but here we need to take advantage. Just my thoughts.
    Britta,
    It is a grafted plant named Miss Venezuela, raised by David Clulow.
    I have placed plants outdoors for short periods many years ago, but mostly to try to control Red Spider Mites. The plants did not produce any growth and just looked unhappy although they survived the experience, and so did the RSM . I would never do so again. IMO they belong behind glass where we live.
    Best of luck everyone.
    Brian UK.

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

Thanks for your answer Brian,

I shall take the consequenses of your experience and keep mine inside.
    If it doesn't work in your, at least partly walled garden judging by the picture, it certainly won't work here ...

Oh, and I was a bit slow, I didn't get it that theese last pictures were of the same plant as that in the first posting in the thread. It looked quite different ...

;-)

Britta ( in Norway )

This post was edited by heart_in_bloom on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 17:37

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer