Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
5862xwg

Adenium seedlings are so hungry and grow so slow...

5862xwg
10 years ago

Hi, I'm new here. I recently germinated some adenium seeds but they seem to have nutrient deficiency from the start. The first set of leaves were OK but then the second set were deformed and showed some nutrient deficiency symptoms. So I fed them (against what most people said not to feed them). The symptoms went away but if I stop the feeding the symptoms seemed to come back. Also my leaves are lighter green with a ting of red unlike most other adenium seedlings here. Oh, also they grow sooooo slow. I will upload pictures later but does anyone else run into this problem.

My soil is 1/2 top soil and 1/2 perlite with a little extra coarse sand. The top soil is very sandy and so far drainage has not been a problem. I wonder if I should have the soil PH tested.

Comments (5)

• L_urch
    10 years ago

Hey, I'm new here as well. I have a whole 2.5ish monthsâ worth of experience with growing adeniums, but I know I like replies so I figured IâÂÂd share my experience...
    My seedlings are starting to get there third set of leaves. Mine get a red tinge on the veins and base of their leaves. The red mostly has gone away the bigger the leaves get. I would also say my leaves are a lighter green.
    I've found the leaves of mine can be deformed, some have straightened out some havenâÂÂt. IâÂÂm waiting to see if the ones that havenâÂÂt straightened out were just a bad set of leaves or if my plant will eventually just die. IâÂÂve got my seeds in the gritty mix and water probably every 3-4 days I fertilize maybe every 1.5 weeks. I know when my seedlings were small I was expecting them all to die because they didnâÂÂt look as pristine as some of the pictures I see on here. However they have all continued to do very well (I think).

• 5862xwg
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know what you mean, L_urch. Some of the pictures here really make me jealous. Sounds like we both got similar problems. I found out that if I feed the seedlings on every watering then the deformation will be alleviated. I will post some pictures tomorrow and then we'll see if we both have similar problems.

I think it might have something to do with temperature and soil PH. I put my seedling outside so it should receive enough light. we have had some wild temp swing lately. I've been moving the seedlings inside at night a lot, which might be a chock to the little guys. Also high soil PH inhibits metal ion intake, but too low PH also inhibit plant growth. I'm going to get a PH testing kit and see what happens. I'll let you know.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi there, a couple of us have been talking about these red tinged leaves recently but they have been on our older plants. It seems to go away after a while when the leaves get bigger. It was suggested that plants that continually produce lighter green leaves may give flowers of a paler colour.
    I have also had some deformed leaves, sometimes they get stuck together, other times they are just malformed...I have no idea why though. I do feed all my plants, both mature ones and seedlings but only when the youngsters are a few months old and then at half strength.
    UK temps are all over the place, we went down to a daytime 2c a couple of days ago and it actually snowed a mile or so from here. Today we hit the dizzy heights of 13c...and this is the middle of May, it's a wonder I have any DR plants alive!!
    Gill UK

• JGW3
    10 years ago

Hey guys I am pretty new here too. I have not had any of the problems you guys are talking about. But the size of mine seems to be all over the board. I am looking forward seeing what your seedlings look like at 2 1/2 months. Mine are approaching the 5 or 6 week mark. I know I planted very early April. I will post a new picture tomorrow of mine as well, I'd like to compare as well. One thing that I want to note and hopefully get some comment back on is this. I had one get pulled up/knocked down by my son "petting" them. It was just laying on top of the soil so I made a hole with a toothpick and dropped it in and watered it. This little guy has taken off! It's not tall as some but the leaf growth and the trunk thickness is as good or better than all the rest in my opinion. It's too early to say but I am wondering if at some point dropping these guys down doesn't promote more girth? I think that in another 2 or 3 weeks I will be ready to transplant and I intend to experiment a little with them by dropping some down and seeing what happens.

What do you guys think?

Here's a link to my older pictures of the seedlings.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: My seedlings.

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Although a couple of you said the deformed leaf problem seems to be alleviated when you water, something else to consider is thrips and even spider mites - not saying this IS your problem, but deformed leaves are a telltale sign of thrips. Spider mites can produce a similar but slightly different effect. Thrips are to small to see easily but it is something to keep in mind if your symptoms persist.