Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kodom087

6 month seedlings (continued)

kodom087 z9a
10 years ago

So today I decided to do another repotting of my seedlings started from seed Karyn sent me last October. I figured a little update was in order showing the results of my experiment of cutting the tap root at the first repot, using bottle caps to help spread the roots at the same repot, and some left alone just repotted back in January. Also you can see the results of the pinching I did back in March.

Freshly up rooted.
{{gwi:344030}}
{{gwi:344032}}

The first one I cut the tap root and did not cut tap root on the other two. Nor did I try to spread the roots at repotting. This picture shows the roots cleaned up from most of the finer feeder roots.
{{gwi:344034}}

Roots cleaned up in this picture. These had bottle caps under them at first repotting to help spread the roots out. I am loving the results of this experiment so far.
{{gwi:344036}}

Group shot after they had a little haircut from some of the feeder roots.
{{gwi:344038}}

I'm going to let them rest a day then repot tomorrow. This project has been very therapeutic and inspiring for me. I enjoy talking about it even if people look at me like I'm some crazed lunatic. LOL
I hope this has given you guys some ideas for your babies or ones you're about to start.
Oh and you should be able to click each picture to see a slightly larger image for better viewing.
Kirk

This post was edited by kodom087 on Mon, May 6, 13 at 13:49

Comments (12)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Kirk!!

They look wonderful!!

I am ready to repot mine too!

Love the experiment with the bottle caps!! Great idea.

We could talk all day and not get bored. Lol. Most of us here understand when it comes to exciting things like this!!!

Bravo!

I need to send you an email. I will send the other soon!

Take care,

Laura

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Kirk, what a great project! Thanks for telling us about it and I for one am not at all bored by posts such as this. I think we are all learning so much from one another and that is good I reckon. If someone finds this boring, then they have no need to read further posts and follow it up have they!!
    How deep do you plan to re-plant and will you still keep the bottle tops under them? Please show us when its done and i look forwad to the next instalment.
    Gill, UK

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Wow...Kirk, they are looking great and please post more pictures later to see your experiment process.

p.s. you have more guts than me.

Marie

• JGW3
    10 years ago

Kirk,

That's pretty awesome. I wouldn't say its conclusive YET but it looks like for the most part the ones with bottle caps under them have larger caudexs. I hope that becomes more true as you move forward. So now what's going underneath them this time? Those old CD singles??? I'm just going to come out and say it... this place needs more crazed lunatics!

Have you seen how the bonsai guys use a piece of tile with a hole in it to create a larger more uniform caudex for bonsai? They take a seedling and pull the roots through the hole then bury the tile just underground and let it grow. As it grows it sends out new roots above the tile and causes the caudex to swell. Check it out who know's how that would work but you definitely have me thinking I want to give it a try if mine ever get big enough for a transplant.

Good luck and again they are looking great!

John

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

They are absolutely wonderful Kirk.
    I wonder withit being the obesum (I may stand corrected), if when they become older whether you will just have a wider or more broader root span as opposed to a wider girth of caudex. As we raise the plants to show more root structure (caudex), but quite different than that of the Arabicums.

You photo's and explanation is spot on and I am glad to see that you water marked your demonstration photo's.
    Keep it coming.
    Rick

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the kind comments. It's a fun project. I started the seeds just to see how easy I could grow them. Then I read up on some various root spreading techniques. While it seemed most develop the caudex first then work on the roots I figured why not try both as an experiment. I do wonder how the caudex will further develop on these. Seeing some starting to get fat gives me hope.
    I was feeding them almost from the start to help build up growth. Then I started growing them some what hard back in March. Mainly because I got sick with major sinus infection and was bed ridden for about 2 weeks. Fun times!
    I have no idea what I will use to further keep the roots spreading as if I use the cups they were in the roots would already be hitting the sides and be forced downward any way. I do have a few ideas in mind and will post about those later.
    I think I will plan on doing this on all seeds I start from now on. It just seems to have more potential for all varieties. I have learned so much from everyone in this forum and am grateful!

Kirk

• averil
    10 years ago

Kirk, thanks for putting this on the forum. I've had a mind to have a go at this myself, so it's interesting to see how it's done. I shall look out for future posts
    Averil uk

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Hi Kirk. Tons of questions!

Did you trim those roots when you had them repotted the first time? I have no reference so how fast did they grow, being fed from really early? Did feeder roots thicken in the ones you trimmed the taproot off of? I can't tell from the pictures whether I am seeing the original taproot or feeder roots that filled in the, well, power vacuum.

The leaves on those seedlings are making me want to throw a tantrum lol The leaves on mine are ratty and clearly showing signs of stress, I suspect because of getting so little water. On they other hand, my 2-month seedlings (not getting any fertilizers yet) have fat caudices, probably as a reaction to the water shortage.

Also, you're digging them up every couple of months just to see what's under the soil, aren't you lol I do this too--I have 2 designated seedlings for this purpose.

Pagan

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Averil.

Pagan, I wish I'd taken pictures at the first repot when they had about 3 sets of true leaves. That's when I did trim the tap root on some of them but leaving some of the feeder roots that were coming out of the top portion of the tap root. Those are the ones I started to spread with a bottle cap. The feeder roots then started to fatten up. What you do see as fat roots in the pictures were the original feeder roots.

As I have no reference to how fast or slow they grew from feeding since this is my first time with seeds I'd say they leafed out more and definitely branched out from the pinching. Every one of them has at least 7 branches that have or are forming. I will say that restricting the water since March seems to have helped fatten them up.

The advantage of having them in the clear cups I was able to see roots starting to crawl along and down the edges as well as how dry the soil was getting. The major disadvantage is that algae also grew inside on the edges. Eventually it seemed like it wasn't allowing the soil to dry out so I started to panic and thus the reason for this repotting. I also believe the feedings with a weak fertilizer solution also aided in the algae situation.

Oh, and about the feeding from nearly the start...I had read various things about it. Not to do it. To do it. Blah blah blah. Since I had read seedlings don't go dormant until their first year and also reading feeding helps bulk them up I decided to give it a go. Much like the reason to feed your well established adeniums during the growing season.

The reason I am now holding off on feeding (which was about every other week) is that fast growth can make them weaker and less pest resistant especially during dormancy. So I'm thinking doing hard growing now may help make them stronger for this coming winter.

Also, from reading the Adenium: Sculptural Elegance, Floral Extravagance book some people "fast grow" (frequent feed/water) to help develop the height and size as after it's third year growth, no matter what, slows down considerably. Or so I've read.

LOL Sorry for the long reply.
    Kirk

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Those are gorgeous seedlings and I appreciate the detail so much myself, as a beginner. I have eight 1 1/2 month old seedlings that are doing well I think and I keep dreaming of them getting as big as yours. You have inspired me to pinch and cap the roots on at least some if I get to that point. I mean WHEN I get to that point ;)

-Heather

This post was edited by ginger9899 on Tue, May 7, 13 at 14:19

• elucas101
    10 years ago

Kirk, outstanding seedlings there and a really interesting and informative experiment! I'm looking forward to the progress. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and the information!

• kodom087 z9a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. Will keep you all posted with more updates. I was a little worried as they started getting a little soft even though absolutely no rot. But they've firmed back up with a little more watering frequency. *whew!*

Kirk

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures