Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgw3_gw

4 month old seedling

JGW3
10 years ago

Believe it or not this little guy is 4 months old. Last night I decided to go ahead and give up on him because my 6 week old seedling are already much bigger and healthier than it. I figured I had a bad batch of seeds, I sowed 3 and all sprouted after 2 and a half weeks of waiting. The other two died within the first couple weeks. For the longest time it was nothing but a couple of leaves laying almost at ground level. Nothing about this was like my second attempt. But in the interest of trying to learn something I decided to start out really carefully trying to remove it and see if I could learn something. What I found was really surprising to me. I found another 2 inches of plant below the soil. Furthermore it was all trunk and a few roots at the very bottom.

So what did I learn? Well I thought back about how and what I did when planting the seeds. I remember soaking them over night and then using a toothpick to make a hole in dirt. Hey wait! That was it, I planted this guy vertically and I also planted it about 1/2" or so in the ground. Well when I realized just how poorly I had done I got to thinking this must be one tough seedling so I decided to replant him and see what happens. Not expecting much but I did raise him up considerably. This guy had more plant underground than he did above ground by far. The picture stinks I know but everything on the trunk that looks yellow was in the dirt and he was planted all the way down to the first set of leaves. So I am really interested to see what happens next. Who know's maybe he will end up being my strongest one yet!

Sorry the pic is so bad my camera crapped out on me had to use phone. I will see if I can get a better one.

John

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus