Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie2639

Growing in a less than ideal climate

Julie2639
10 years ago

I live in Michigan, which is not a Florida, Thailand or African type of climate. But I see that many in various parts of the UK, Pennsylvania and other areas are able to grow beautiful plants. If you are in these types of areas, could you share any tips or suggestions? While I'm asking, are there any good links, books other sources of information? Thanks for sharing your information and experiences!

Comments (3)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi Julie and welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here. You will be able to grow adeniums (or DR's as we also refer to them here) in your area just as we here in the equally less favourable climes of the chilly UK..we are struggling to get more than one day in a row of double digits C temps at the mo!! Its diabolical, again, coldest spring for 30yrs. Your plants may not be as big, floriferous or as impressive as those grown in hotter areas, but they will grow.
    One suggestion is to scroll through the posts then put the user name of someone in similar areas into the search facility below and up will sprout their particular threads, read away and gain info from us that way maybe?
    I can say that if you grow from seeds, they will germinate for you just as quick as for those sown in Thailand for eg, just use a boiler cupboard or propagator to get them going. Older seedlings and plants need as much sun and fresh air as we can give them, mine move from inside the living room to the g/house on warm days, back again at night, or just from window to window following the sun around the rooms. Its hard to write all that you wil need to know....gritty mix is a MUST wherever you live, threads on here detail the recipe for it, but adapt it with what you can buy locally, just make sure they never stay wet and cold. Hope this helps.
    Gill, from the extremely less than tropical UK!!

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Julie,
    It is possible for us to grow them in climates other than Thailand, Florida, etc., as Gill has mentioned.
    I find that where I am that I need to make sure they get the best sunlight that I can give them. They go outside here when night temps stay around 55-60F. If this does not occur then I leave them inside. They are in a south facing sun room with sun from 11am till 8pm in summer and less hours in winter months. Some lose leaves, but the majority do not. If they do this is not an issue.
    Definitely easier to get an older plant as the seedlings should have good light through out the year for first year.
    As Gill mentioned. It would be beneficial to read through post and see how others in similar areas, climates to yours maintain them.
    I do not want to say too much as it may just confuse and make it seem difficult to grow them.
    They are quite remarkable and forgiving plants.
    Rick

• User
    10 years ago

Hello Julie,
    Welcome on board. Yes, growing "up north" can be frustrating at times but I don't believe anyone has it all their own way wherever they live. What facilities can you provide for your plants? Will it be a sunny window indoors or can you provide a greenhouse, and how much time can you give? Really anything that will extend the growing season will benefit you and there are lots of products available. Growing a mature flowering plant from seed is hugely rewarding as you will discover. Good luck with whatever you choose and keep us posted.

Brian UK.