Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie2639

Growing seedlings together

Julie2639
10 years ago

I am new to Adeniums and new to this forum, but I am thrilled to find a source for information!

One of my first questions is what happens when two seedlings grow together? If they are different colors, do they remain the separate colors? What size caudex would I expect? I assume this is not a great option since I have not been able to find any information on this.

Thanks for sharing any information, I really appreciate your experience!

Comments (7)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

When you say seedlings grown together in same pot, but as separate plants?
    This is not an issue unless they are from different parentage and you want to document growth/flower etc. when old enough.
    If you speak of conjoined seedlings? I would emagine it may depend on whether they where from the same seed embryo and then it would be anyone's quess.
    Caudex size is not guaranteed. Arabicums will give larger caudex growth.

None of the above are guarantees and with these Adeniums, that is what is truly what makes it a see what you get. I am still waiting to see what my young plants will give for blooms. As for caudex size, they all vary in many ways.
    Hope this helps somewhat.
    Enjoy growing them.
    Rick

• Julie2639
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry! I wasn't clear, I've been wondering about this so much, I had tunnel vision. yes, I meant growing two unrelated seedlings together until they are conjoined. The concept of grafting made me wonder about them growing and joining. I also bought some seedlings and a second, newer sprout is emerging in a couple of containers. I think either they will grow together or perhaps the newly emerged seedling will not make it.

Thanks for your input!

• 11otis
    10 years ago

I guess to have 2 or more plants conjoined you will have to scrape/cut the caudex skin where they meet so they can fuse. Interesting thought. One might get a "giant" caudex this way. W/o human intervention I'm not sure they will fuse.
    Kirk, have you ever tried this?

This post was edited by otis11 on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 14:14

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

I haven't tried to grow two together as of yet. Nor have I been lucky enough to have conjoined twins from one seed. I have been thinking of making two older seedlings grow together though.

Kirk

• 11otis
    10 years ago

I have a lot of seeds sprouting at the moment. (1 week old). When they're a bit older and not so tender to be handled, I might do that. At what age would you suggest?

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Hey, I just noticed this post.

I have actually done this very same thing to several of my 4-month old seedlings that I just repotted (see below). You can't tell from the way they are separate above the soil but underneath, the seedlings are perched on two lava rocks roughly 2 inches wide. Their roots are tangled in such a way that the taproots will have room to grow around each other.

To hold up the seedlings while I worked on the roots and the lava rocks, they were arranged and kept in position using three vice grips lol.

Spooky action from a small distance, har har. Frankly, I just didn't want to have to babysit so many pots in the winter so I am growing at least 7 seedlings in this manner. I might actually do this to my even older seedlings.

I don't expect their caudices to fuse. But I think wounding a mature caudex and ducktaping it to another is a brilliant idea. Maybe you can even chop a whole section off the caudex depending on how you want to fuse two plants together. From what I saw Kirk do, his grafted cuttings literally sent out roots into the stock plant which I thought was amazing.

Hmm...I am now eyeing my mature plants with nefarious intent. It's probably too late in the year to be experimenting so radically. Next spring....

Pagan

P.S. These are seedlings of the same obesum variety.

P.P.S It's entirely possible ducktape is not the best material to use.

• 11otis
    10 years ago

Pagan: if you have grow lights, I don't think you will be limited to spring. I wouldn't use duct tape, maybe the kind of tape that doesn't have adhesive to it. Never know what it will do when absorbed by the plants. But again, who knows, maybe it will even help to fuse. All these modern products is just confusing, never know what to expect, lol.

PS: if you conjoin different hybrids, you'll have different flowers (if it's not rejected). Just a thought.

This post was edited by otis11 on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 15:15

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA