Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurieinphx

Experiment with rotting adenium

laurieinphx
9 years ago

Hello everyone:

In March, sad to say, one of my first adeniums developed root rot (I am still learning). I cut the entire caudex off, dusted with cinnamon and replanted on top of Styrofoam disc. Almost three months later I have roots! I replanted today.

Has any one tried this? Do the roots thicken?

Laurie

Comments (16)

• ginger9899
    9 years ago

Congratulations on saving your Adenium Laurie! Very sad about the rot, but at least you are enabling it to carry on and have an awesome experiment on your hands. Unfortunately they usually say that cuttings don't develop a large caudex but I've also heard that they can, it just takes a long time. That makes sense, as I'm sure those roots will thicken and grow eventually. I have one rooted last summer that I will be watching and raising through the years myself.

Good luck!

Heather

• laurieinphx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Heather, good luck to you as well! Keep me posted on how it is doing.

Obscene roots? Hmmm...that will be just my luck - as payback. :)

Laurie

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Laurie, it takes awhile for it to develop fat caudex.
    Good luck to you.
    marie

• somalenese
    9 years ago

hi
    congratulations Laurie
    great work you have attempted ROOT TRAINING

Take care of that guy and 5 yrs from now it will become the most beautiful specimen

just watering and caudex raising to be done

I call this blessing in disguise

thanks for sharing

anurag

• laurieinphx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their support. I guess patience is key!

Laurie

• Sinha
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Laurie one of mine has caudex rot so I would like to know what exactly did you did. Where did you put the styrofoam disc after you put the plant on it? How did you keep it alive for three months without a pot? Could you please tell step wise if it is not a problem.I already lost one like this and don't want to lose this one

• 3300koi
    8 years ago

Hi Laurie, great job with your experiment, I understand you dusted the severed part of the caudex with cinnamon powder, may I ask what significant benefit of cinnamon on dr? thank you.

• Jericson Pastor
    8 years ago

cinnamon acts like a fungicide

• Roberto Gonz
    8 years ago

Hi,

i had the same problem this year. this winter was unusually wet, and with little space inside i left some outdoors as long as there were no frost, any way some of my plants got root rot, i was able to save some and after cleaning them, i saved some, they lost the root system but what i was able to save they got new roots without anything,i dont know what the cinnamon is for, but i can tell you, the plant will root it self without any help if it was saveable

(sorry if my english is not as good)
    Roberto

• Marie Tran
    8 years ago

Roberto, don't worry about your English. I am too, not very good with grammar. Came to US with one word..."hungry" on my back....It is true (long story)

Marie

• Marie Tran
    8 years ago

Laurie, congrats on your rooting the cutting. I am not very good with cuttings. Only 2 rooted for me in the last 15 years.

Marie

• Kadie
    8 years ago

Laurie,

Your post was dated last year May and revived by Sinha a few hours ago. How is this plant doing now? Could you post pictures please. I also recently experimented in using disc under roots. Thank you.

-Kadie

• Kadie
    8 years ago

Chào bạn Marie?

-Kadie

• Marie Tran
    8 years ago

Kadie, are you Vietnamese?

Marie

• Kadie
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

No. I'm a Native Islander--American Chamoru.

-Kadie