Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roma0904

what would you do?

roma0904
9 years ago

Hello friends from the forum,

This is one of my first babies, I got seeds last year and because of my lack of knowledge only six seedlings survived, this is one of them, as you notice is very thin and 18" tall ( 45 cm ) it is growing a little stem little higher from the middle of it and it is growing some on the top, is doesn't look that nice and as is is very weak, but it's my baby and don't want to lose it, what do you recommend to do? Should I prune it? If so , where above the growing stem in the middle? Please advice

Roberto

Comments (17)

• Pagan
    9 years ago

Hi Roberto,

I would cut it at Coke height, purely for aesthetic reasons. I prefer my adeniums to be short, compact and with lots of branches. Try and imagine it three years from now when you will probably have huge roots underneath and you will start to gradually raise it.

Pagan

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pagan,
    Won't it die?
    Thanks

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Hi Roberto,
    I am with Pagan on the pruning of this plant. It is hard to do and I can understand your concern about pruning it.
    It will not kill it as long as when you prune it, that it is in full growth (in order to push out new growth). Use sterlized blade and seal.
    With it being so skinny right from the soil level, pruning it as low as the Coke can or even a little lower.
    Look to see where the internodes are and make your decision from there.
    After pruning, turn the plant 180 degrees every other day to encourage branching all around, unless it is in an situation that it is receiving sun from most directions.
    Where you live, do not keep in blazing hot sun.
    My thoughts.
    Rick

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Pagan and Rick, I will do it tomorrow, taking advantage of the unusual cool (54 f in the middle of may, incredible) ( and humid ) weather, so there is no blazing hot sun

Roberto

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pagan,, Rick,

I did as advised, against all my fears, I will update on it as soon as I see something.
    Please advise on these, should I do the same?
    Thanks
    Roberto

• Pagan
    9 years ago

Hello, Roberto,

If those were my plants, I would definitely hard-prune those that are weak-stemmed and are unlikely to be able to carry the weight of a flower cluster or, even new leaves. It will be like starting over but I think you'll end up with better plants that way.

Remember to fertilize only when the plants are getting a LOT of heat and light (i.e. full and direct sunlight).

Pagan

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pagan,
    Lot of heat? What is lot of heat? Above 100 f is enough? They are taking a lot of sunlight, I move them under cover this past weekend because storms with hail, but they are always receiving more than 8 hours

• Pagan
    9 years ago

Oh my lord lol Yes they'll be quite happy in that. You just now have to decide which ones to prune. They will bounce right back.

You have to excuse me, it still dips below 10C where I am. The only cool thing about this confusing weather is that right now, we have very very thick fog.

Fog is very creepy!

Pagan

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pagan,
    The weather is crazy everywhere we are still seen 12 c in mid may lowest should be around 18 c and on the afternoon should be above 37 c but we been around the 30s c , thats good but its crazy,
    Thanks Pagan, im thinking on pruning only the weak ones and give the others one more season before pruning them, and going to take the opportunity and try to do some grafting with those that I prune, will try to insert them on my big ones, as those are supposed to be other color than pink
    Roberto

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

I pruned a third of my plants this year.

Then when they started to make lots and lots of new branches, I pruned most of the remaining plants. Being so annoyed with myself for not having done them all in the first place ... lol ...

We should not be afraid to prune these plants ...

Leaving them to grow one more year before you prune, only means that you'll cut away this years growth as well ...

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

I agree.. Prune!!!!

You will be thankful!! After you prune, seal.. Keep from rain until the seal has set and watch them flourish.

Fertilizing is good once temps reach 50 degrees to 85 ....If the soil is dry, I wet first to prevent burn, then fertigate the trees!!!

I am a firm believer in hard pruning.. But it's to your liking. Some like them tall, some like them more compact. I'm with Pagan.. I like full heads !!!

I just found this from one of Al's post.. Thought it was interesting... I googled fertilizing in extreme heat. This is where it lead me....

From Al's post...

RE: Okay to fertilize in extreme heat?

Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on Fri, Jul 22, 11 at 21:13

I think it depends on how you fertilize. I do withhold fertilizer when day temps are above about 85*, unless the plants are in full shade from mid morning to mid evening. High soil temperatures cause plants to go semi-dormant, so they use only very small amounts of nutrients. The higher the level of EC/TDS (roughly the level of solubles/dissolved solids in the soil) the more difficult it is for the plant to absorb water and the nutrients dissolved in the water, so a low level of EC/TDS when soil temperatures are 80*+ is a good thing. Additionally, high soil temperatures often kill a considerable number of roots, especially on the south and west sides of containers. High fertility levels promote larger populations of the bacteria/fungi that cause root rot and can increase the likelihood and severity of that disease.
    During the summer, I usually fertilize every 1-2 weeks (when temps allow) with solutions at or just above the recommended strength, even though I know frequent applications of weak fertilizer solutions like many of you are using are no where as potentially problematic as full doses. It's a time thing - I fertilize by hand & I just can't mix the solution and fertilize some 300 containers every time I water (daily); so, if you do continue to fertilize during the dog days - reduced solution strengths until soil temps are sure to remain below about 80* for most plants would be a smart tack.

Al

Hope this helps!!

Take care,

Laura

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laura,
    I pruned my big plants just like yours, you saw it in my showing off post, but these are my babies, any way I pruned it, hope in few days I can see some good signs

Thanks
    Roberto

9 years ago

Roberto!!!

They will be fine.. Sealed right? You should see buds forming in a few weeks!!! Your babies will be giving you kisses!!! ;-).

Great Job!!!

Laura

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pagan, Laura, Rick,

It is growing 7 red-green little bumps, its going to grow leaves sooner than I thought and will beca lot, thanks for the push hou gave me
    Roberto

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Since we're talking about pruning I'll share this particular example. This is one my sister bought that I'm now taking care of. Also, this is how it looked a year ago when I was repotting it and pruning. (I rooted 5 cuttings but lost 2 of them over the winter.)
    {{gwi:342065}}

{{gwi:344574}}

The rooted cuttings.
    {{gwi:344575}}

And what it looks like this year during a repot job about 2-3 weeks ago. It had some branch rot I had to cut off on about 3 spots. Note the change from the one gallon pot in pics above and the one below. It's now in a 2 gallon pot so you have an idea of actual size.
    {{gwi:344576}}
    {{gwi:344577}}
    {{gwi:344579}}

Bonus pic: Despite my sister having kept asking what to do and I gave her simple and specific instructions...it died from rot. I'm so sad over this.
    {{gwi:342067}}

Kirk

9 years ago

Awesome pictures, Kirk!!!

Just goes to show what can become of these beauties. if you want to try..

Strong work my friend.. They look so healthy!!!

I am sorry for the loss of your sisters.. Bummer.

Roberto!!

Im Sure you are very happy!! Glad you see some back budding already.., what a great feeling.

Great job!!,

Laura

• roma0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello

Now I'm jealous, I've never been able to root cuttings, is there a especial procedure?
    Kirk, in your area is very humid so have to be careful with watering to prevent rotting

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz