Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnspry

Germinating Adenium seed Help!

mnspry
9 years ago

Has anyone tried to germinate adenium seeds using the paper towel method? I tried germinating in a burpee seed starter kit and only 1 out of 4 seeds germinated. Any help would be great!

Comments (9)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hello there...we could do with a bit more info please such as temp, wet/dryness of seeds, depth you planted them, did you pre-soak them, if so for how long, freshness, how long have you waited, etc etc in order to try and help you more.

Also, can I ask what is a 'burpee seed starter kit' please? Have no idea being from 'over the pond'!

Gill UK

• mnspry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did pre soak them for 24 hours, the seed were purchased from a nursery so I'm not sure on the freshness of them. and I waited 2 weeks.
    And a burpee seed starter kit is a little plastic like green house. It hold about 10 seeds.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Mnspry,
    Glad you made me aware as to what a Burpee seed start kit is, as I am unfamiliar. Although I believe there is a seed Company "Burpee"?

I have never used the paper towel method, but I have heard of some doing so. I think they need to be in a soil type medium so that they are not disturbed in the situation that they will be growing on in.
    Seed viability can be an issue that is why it is best to get through a reputable seed source, acquaintance, etc.
    If you are not sure, many here can help.
    I think soaking 24 hrs. Is far too long. I have never soaked for more than 2hrs.
    Hope this helps. Do not give up. They are worth the time.
    Rick

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

Rick,
    one can soak seeds for far longer than 2 hours ... ;-)

If seeds are large enough to "handle one by one" I always soak them for at least 24 hours. This is how I've done it for more than 20 years ... ;-)

I have just sown Adenium seeds and they were soaked for 48 hours. ( When I soak for this long, I change the water after 24 hours. ) Then I spread them on the surface of the growth medium ( good quality soil for houseplants ). They were in transparent plastic boxes with transparent lids. I put the boxes on the bathroom floor because of the under-floor-heating. There is also very good natural light in that bathroom.

After 24 hours "on the soil" I could see the first root tips coming out of the seeds, searching their way down for the soil.

So msnpry,
    it can not be the hours in water that have caused your problem.

Seeds can be too old, or have been stored at wrong temperature / humidity so that they have died ... Then of course no method will work ...

When seeds are soaked, they start the process of germinating, they should not get dry when the germinating process has started. Can that have happened ?

Britta ( in Norway )

This post was edited by heart_in_bloom on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 4:58

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

This could be true and the moisture is necessary, but fresh seed will take less time and germination can be hindered by soaking too long.
    Light also plays a big part in the seed germination and lack there of.
    I would say more than likely your seeds where not viable.
    What works for us as individuals and with what is available in the way of materials plays a critical part.
    As I stated soaking for this length of time is not my practice and it works for me and not all Genus of seed can be treated the same.
    I hope you give it another try and do not despare.
    They are not difficult.
    Keep going,
    Rick

• heart_in_bloom
    9 years ago

Hi Rick,
    You say "not all Genus of seed can be treated the same" , and I could not agree more ... ;-)

How long you soak is a "gut feeling thing". There are very hard "nut like" seeds that will profit from soaking longer than what is advisable for Adenium seeds.

And for some seeds my gut feeling will say, soak for a few hours or 1 day. So to say that I always soak for at least 24 hours, like I said in my last Message was a bit bombastic, when I come to think of it ... ;-)

When it comes to Adeniums I think it's good that the seed coat ( the outer covering of the seed ) is really well moistened so that it slides off easily by itself during germination. And it is a fact that I have soaked all my Adenium seeds for 48 hours, and have had good results.

If the seed coat is hard, it clings to the seedling after the root has come out of the seed, and you will have to help it off. And then you can easily hurt the seedling ...

My main point here is that mnspry has not killed his / her seeds by soaking for 24 hours.

I agree fully with you when you say "more than likely your seeds where not viable".

And I also agree fully with you when you say "give it another try" !

So msnpry,
    get some new seeds form another seller, have a look at Ebay, for example.

And best of luck with successful germination and growing the next time.

And DO come in here and tell us about it !

:-)

Britta ( in Norway )

This post was edited by heart_in_bloom on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 9:33

• mnspry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wanted to thank everyone for all the great information! I just received 50 more seeds for another place. They are soaking right now. I'm going to give this another shot and I'll report back (hopefully with better results)!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Mnspry, sorry to have not got back to you before now but the time difference and my work hours often play havoc with me wanting to take part in conversations here.
    That said, I'm glad that some of the others picked up on your problems and have hopefully helped you out? Folks on here will do their very best to advise anyone.
    Good luck with your new seeds, I'm sure they will do well for you this time round.
    Gill UK

• Davu
    9 years ago

I worked in a botanical garden in Europe and I never soaked any of the hundreds of seeds that I had harvested in the Autumn. I think that Sweet Peas are the only seeds I ever soaked, once, and I never did it again. Adenium needs a light, well draining medium, which of course should be moist all the time.... so why soak? I have fresh seedlings sprouting all over the place, all the time here in Thailand, even during in the 7 month long dry season.
    I agree with a previous posting, that old seeds will germinate more slowly or not at all.
    (Added on 19th June) I sowed sees three days ago and 6 of the 20 have germinated already. Fresh seeds of course.

This post was edited by Davu on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 1:53