Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bronxfigs

Wanted....Photos/Plants of ..... 'Honey'

I just saw a seed seller photo of Adenium " HONEY". The photo shows a yellowish flower with salmon stripes, and some orange-peachy tinges. Flower, in photo, looks very unique to my eye. I want it. But that ain't happenin' if I grow it from seeds.

Anyone grow this plant? Can you please post some "real" photos of this blossom? Who sells the grafted plants?

Thanks for any information.

Frank

Comments (13)

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Got seedlings of "Honey" from DH, unfortunately both collapsed 48 hrs after arrival. No idea if they were really yellow.
    He got it on e-bay, if you are interested I will try to find sellers info.

Aggie

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aggie...
    Thanks for the quick reply. I truly wanted to know what the flower was really like...in real life...not a dealer's photo.

Being new to the Adenium World of dealers, and growers...may I ask who/what is DH?

A Plumeria dealer, selling seeds, has "Honey" and says that sometimes flowering seedlings sometimes will look like the photo. The "sometimes" bothers me. Just how often is "sometimes"?

Thanks for the information.

Frank

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Sorry Frank,

I was in the hurry, just got home from work. Got it as a gift from Dear Husband (DH) after he found me drooling over pictures of yellow adeniums, and this explains why I have no clue who was selling it! :o)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh....the Dear Husband. Now I savvy.

F

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Frank, trouble is some of these sellers can be very unscrupulous in their methods of grabbing our hard earned cash (I have seen it myself on Ebay where the exact same flower appears in different colour guises)as they 'doctor' a picture of an Adenium flower and tempt buyers into parting with cash for what appears to be totally new and exotically coloured variety. Anyone can do this with the use of a photo editing package to alter flower colours beyond belief and cause the unsuspecting purchaser to be terribly dissappointed with the resulting seedlings cpme flowering time. My point being is that only 1 in every 100 would therefore 'legitimately' qualify someone to say that he would 'sometimes' get flowers like the parent. Well, in that case 'sometimes' is definitely not good enough and I bet that's not far wrong!!
    Gill from the UK.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Gill, and other forum members....

In an effort to find some special plants, I have just directed some enquiries about Adenium that I saw posted on a Siam web-site. I asked a very reputable Adenium grower in Florida, USA about the availability of specific, Siam-grown plants. I was told very bluntly that these web-sites show doctored photos, and that the flowers that I wanted, existed only on my computer screen! This famous, Siam company plays with the colors of hybrid flowers they offer, and hook unsuspecting buyers, like myself, to spend money on what would be, very disappointing plants. Live and learn.

I have the kind members of this Adenium Forum to thank for letting me know about all the frauds there are selling plants on the internet. You guys saw me heading right towards a frustrating and costly experience, and you sounded the alarms. Thanks, really.

Before I buy any plants, I'll ask you guys for your opinions.

Much obliged.

Frank

• vanadis
    11 years ago

Frank,

We have been ordering grafted DR-s (obesum)from Thailand since 4 years. With the company at www.adeniumseeds.com we never had any problem, the plants sent to us showed the same flowers preveiusly we have chosen. The owner is very kind, correct and helpful.

hope I could help you to see the other side

Peter (from Hungary)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Frank, you're more than welcome to any help we can offer each other here on the forum. It's so frustrating that some unscrupulous folks are out to cheat each others. No doubt hundreds are duped and loose money on inferior seeds/plants, but the sellers reputation suffers eventually, and that is our only comeback. Seeds seem more prone to this colour altering 'scam' I think.
    Hello Peter and welcome to the forum!
    As you both mention, grafted plants are the way to go if you are after a specific colour variant. These 'should' be a more reliable source of specific colours if from a reputable nursery...but at the end of the day, who knows? Personal reccomendation is one way I suppose as obviously not all dealers are bad ones, there are plenty of good ones...you just need to know who they are!!! Seems like you have found one of the good ones with your supplier Peter, perhaps Frank will be tempted by them now he knows they are reputable.

I personally just have the overwhelming desire to grow an Adenium of any species, shape, flower colour or size!! Those flowers that are so elusive to me will be a real bonus if and when I can manage to get one of mine to bloom....and when/if that point arrives, you will all hear about it!!!!
    Gill from the UK.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Peter from Hungary...

Thanks for the web-site, and for letting this forum know of your happy experiences.

I will not go through the trouble of importing plants. The red-tape process and application forms are just not something that I want to bother with.

There are very good Adenium growers in the USA, and I'll probably do business with them. My collection will be very small, and I will only need a few plants.

Thanks for the additional information.

Gill from the United Kingdom......The warnings from forum members has sunk in. Now, I will proceed with caution.

Thanks,

Frank

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Hi all, just got back from local (Miami)home depot and will go back tomorrow to take pictures; there was couple of trays of small Adeniums in 5in pots, some with unusual flower colors. Oddly plants with solid red or almost purple flowers had smallish caudexes, plants with nice gnarly trunks and multiple branches were mostly pinks and whites??? While I was working may way through, I realized that plants with more interesting flowers were grafted! I guess they used ones with single trunks for grafting. It was done very nice way, scars were almost invisible and healed. Plants were 8-10 inches tall, 8 backs a pot! It was getting dark, so I will go back in the morning to take pictures and get the name of the nursery. Hope I can get some nice small one with great caudex for small bonsai!
    Aggie

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Will you list your USA ONLINE sources for Adeniums, please?

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Aggie, how wonderful to be able to buy DR's for a mere 8USD a plant, that's truly amazing value isn't it? The ony DR I have seen over here was of a similar size and priced at 32.29USD!!!!! It stayed where it was in the garden centre, and is probably still there some five yrs on.
    Gill from the UK.

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Gill,

To my happiness DRs are getting popular in nurseries here in Florida! I guess climate helps, it must take nurseries very short time to grow it to 5-8 inch if they can sell it for such a bargain price. For me it's a nice trade for 90+ F heat 90% humidity and huge mosquitoes 6 month of the year! :) Can't order adenium on line, way to expensive for me, and I like to see plants with so much personality as DR before I take it home.
    Got 2, 6 inch babies, each with one wilted flower left so nothing to take pictures of. One large-2in blood red with yellow center, second with smaller red flower outlined with dark bluish-purple! Could't care less that these are no name hybrids, both have nice caudexes already (one is 2 in in diameter) and I'm looking for bonsai pots now! Mothers day in next Sunday, so I will check store again just in case there is another shipment!

Aggie