Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Hand-Pollinated' Seeds....How True?

Posted by BronxFigs Zone-7b (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 19:53

If a hybridizer hand-pollinates two named varieties of Adenium flowers is there any percentages that the resulting progeny, when flowered, will look anything like the original flowers? Are the genetics behind some of Adenium flowers so complex that any seedlings, resulting from a calculated cross, will be totally unpredictable?

Frank

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Hand-Pollinated' Seeds....How True?

I always hand pollinate my brugs. The resulting cross may or may not resemble the parent, usually not. I believe the same holds true for adeniums.

o
RE: 'Hand-Pollinated' Seeds....How True?

karyn1...

On a scale from 1-10...in my mind...Adenium rate about a 5. Half good, half bad.

Can't grow true from seed....bad
Can't, or, difficult, for cuttings to root....bad
Rooted cuttings will not develop a fat, gnarly caudex....bad
Beautiful flowers....good
Interesting roots and caudex...good
Grafted named-plants available...good
Relatively easy to grow...good

With all the demerits, I'll still grow some selected plants, but I doubt that I will become a fanatic. My interests are in rootage, caudex formation, and branching. Only one of these aspects might be trainable...the branching.

So, "hand-pollinated" seeds.... another big zero.

Frank

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here