Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
voodoomagic_gw

IDing adeniums

Voodoomagic
10 years ago

Hello everyone , I am new to adeniums and I just bought some seeds that I will sow once I receive them.

is there a way to ID species just by leaf alone ?

Comments (11)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hello there and welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy taking part!
    Some varieties even I can ID from their leaves!!

Arabicums for instance 'tend' to grow rounder, larger and thicker leaves than Obesums, plus a very stout and wider caudex/stem even when just germinated.

Somalense 'usually' produce longer, more lance shaped leaves often with prominent white veins. their stem is long and thin with a conical base to it at later stages.

Obesums have leaves that are neither round or long, they are in between in the main. Caudexes can vary greatly.

Of course there will always be some that don't conform due to their own genetic makeup. Anyway, this is what I have observed from my own experience in growing the 3 types mentioned above. Give seedlings chance to grow a couple of sets minimum of true leaves to see the real differences between them. There are other species but I dont know about those, hopefully someone else will come in with more info for you.
    Gill UK

• Voodoomagic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Gill

I have picture of a plant said to be adenium Obesum but to me it looks different. I attached picture. This is not my picture but I bought this plant and I am waiting for it to come in the mail :)

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Voodoo, this is not adenium obesum, this is adenium arabicum plant.

Marie

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

I agree with Marie that it is arabicum.

Kirk

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Yes that is most definitely an arabicum, and a lovely looking one too! It's got a very typical arabicum shape, the wide stout base with that particular arrangement of branches is a dead giveaway.
    Please post pics/write here again when it arrives, it will be interesting to see how it settles in and grows for you.
    Gill UK

• Voodoomagic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone !

I knew this could not be Obesum , It should be here in a day or 2 Gill. I am going to shape it and prune. I have a smaller Arabicum. I am not sure what I will do with that. I want to shape it with wire but not sure what size wire to use. ? any suggestions. The branches are not firm on this plant.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

I have only ever dabbled a toe in the ancient art of Bonsai but have read that fairly large gauge soft wire is needed so as not to cut into the bark. As DR's do not actually have bark as such, and only a relatively thin skin on the branches, I would imagine a great degree of care is needed not to damage them. Here in the UK we are now seeing a wire that is covered in a soft rubbery type of coating which is marketed as plant ties. It is very flexible and would not damage even a delicate plant whilst having strength to mould stems. I would use that if I wanted to have a go myself.
    There is a bonsai forum on Gweb and they or another such site would no doubt give you some pointers. There are also a couple of members here who are into bonsai but I can't for the life of me recall who they are...have a try on the search facility on here, that may help. This bendy wire may be available where you live. 'Pipe cleaners' may also do the trick. 2 could be twisted together for extra strength even!!
    Gill UK

This post was edited by greenclaws on Wed, May 29, 13 at 16:55

• Voodoomagic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It came in mail today in PERFECT condition ! Yay ! Very excited to start shaping this plant. The caudex is about 4 inches very fat and round.

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Looks great! Can't wait to see it flower for you.

Kirk

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Whoa, in the same exact pot too? Did you check the box, the kid might be in there as well. But it's the arabicum shape I can only dream about--it's an impressive specimen, Voodoomagic.

Pagan

• rodderick
    10 years ago

That's a nice arabicum you have Voodoomagic. I have one arabicum and I think a samalenses which I'm training into bonsai. To answer your question about wiring in my opinion you don't need wires for adenium branches because the branches are too easy to damage which could cause rot. I find it much easier to tie raffia to the branches and pull them down and tie to plastic pot through holes which I make. This way you can pull it down a little each day without breaking the branch. Having said that, some branches may be too thick and vertical for this to work properly and it is better to cut them to 1" from the caudex. This will cause more ramification and a 'better' bonsai appearance.
    With these plants (arabicum/somalenses) you may also want to examine the root structure and cause the roots to spread out all around the plant so as you gradually raise the plant above the soil this will be visible and add to the bonsai appearance.
    I hope this helps.